What's the point of stone hearths?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
OK, one of my pet hates when I'm out is finding a scorched patch of earth with a ring of stones around it. I've always viewed this as being totally unnecessary and something that people only do because they think "that's how it's done".

I was thinking about this today and wondering 2 things:
1. Is there a functional reason for a stone hearth that couldn't be achieved by good fire management?
2. Where has the perception that "that's how it's done" come from?

:Thinkingo

Edit to add - I'm not saying that anyone here does this!

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
1. Fire guard, stop bits rolling away and lighting other things
2. Pot rests
3. Can be used to raise fire from ground if wet
4. Contained heat can be used to keep food warm

I dont go hunting for rocks but if they are there i will use them.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There is also an element of localising any fire scar.....
Certainly for those folks who don't know better - they see a fire has been had before and follow to make another in the same place rather than scar an entire area.
Sometimes it offers a distraction that guides people towards the right path without reading them the riot act.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I use stones to lift the fire, especially if it's wet, or the wood is rubbish. The stones help keep the fire lit and if stacked properly, they reflect the heat as well.
I had to use stones at the moot to keep the fire going, the wood was ok for cooking but it took a long time to catch and then once going burnt out pretty quick, the wet ground and damp logs sucked all the heat away and the stones helped off set that.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I will sometimes use a ring of stones if they are already there, to minimize new damage, but I never construct them myself.

I usually contain a fire within a frame made up of larger pieces of firewood until they burn through and I replace them.

A couple of large logs are good for laying a couple of bars across the fire to stand pots on. Sometimes I use a couple of rocks the same way.

fire_irons.jpg

Here you can see four bars in use which is a bit of an overkill but you get the idea.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Depends on the stones and the timber around about. I was taught to use the stones as steady pot rests, as bake stones, to reflect heat. to retain heat and to create hot stones for wrapping up to snuggle in with on cold nights,

I do agree that if there is a fire ring already on a site most folk will use that..

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They're good for drying soggy boots and socks on but it's not something I'd look for when establishing a new fire. Makes sense to use them if they're already there though.

I think it makes sense at sites that see a lot of traffic. Better one fire scar with stones, than lots of uncleared fire scars all over the area. I will use such a stone fire place if it's already there, but in quieter, wilder areas try to operate on a "leave no trace" principle.
Like Toddy I have used hot stones (wrapped in newspaper) as hot water bottles on cold nights, great to put your feet on.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I will make one if the materials are close to hand. The benefits far outweigh any downsides(if any). One other thing of note, If the police for whatever reason came upon your camp (happened to me before) they may make you put a fire out if it is not contained. Mine was, no bother.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I've been hit by hot chips from exploding stones too often to trust them by choice.
potshot.gif

Same here, i've only been next to one once when it went bang and i don't really want to be next to another. I always use logs as said before and replace them as necessary

Dave

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I've been hit by hot chips from exploding stones too often to trust them by choice.
potshot.gif

With this in mind, a warning (most folks already know this, but just in case...):

Don't use stones found near a riverbed for a fire ring -- small amount of water can invade cracks in the stones and then when they're heating they can crack, sometimes is seems like an actual explosion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE