What's the point of hats with a "Aussie style fold up brim"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The T3 has a wider brim than the T5 which is 2 1/8" wide at the sides. The T3 is nearer 3" at the sides but since they fold up to clip up they appear narrower than they actually are.

Anyone find it hard to find their hat size? There only appears to be big head hat sizes in stock in the Lakes. The only one in my size was a white ladies hat so I guess that is a big size for women.

Green, khaki or what colour for a T3 BTW?

I do think that a brimmed hat means you don't have to put greasy sun lotion on your face. I hate the stuff. Summer would be good without greasy hands. Another thing (rant on) why can they get away with saying a lotion is non-greasy when you first use it and it IS greasy!!!! Ambre Solair! What the F**K! IF that's not greasy then I don't know what is.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The T3 has a wider brim than the T5 which is 2 1/8" wide at the sides. The T3 is nearer 3" at the sides but since they fold up to clip up they appear narrower than they actually are.

Anyone find it hard to find their hat size? There only appears to be big head hat sizes in stock in the Lakes. The only one in my size was a white ladies hat so I guess that is a big size for women.

Its the T3 that I have and in Green, but not the nice olive green they do now, but the same green they use for the underbrim. I've never liked the colour very much. I suspect Khaki is a reasonable compromise between a sun hat and general purpose hat.

Can't help with the sizes, its years since I got mine.

Graham

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

I do think that a brimmed hat means you don't have to put greasy sun lotion on your face.

Wow you're the 'statto' of the Tilley hat world...:)

It's just a hat.. I bought mine with out as much thought TBH I think the decision process was it's well made has a good sized brim and they had my size... For years I made do with one of these white 'cricket' hats with the green under the brim. TBH it worked just as well as a Tilley.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I've had cricket hats and Tilley copies before and since getting a T3 some 10 years ago I know that the only hat that can replace it is another T3. The Tilley is not an Aussie hat it is Canadian and was built for sailing. The foam pad in the top is to protect the top of your head should duck quickly enough when jibing as well as keeping that hat afloat when it goes overboard. The fold up sides are not an affectation of style but are to give stiffness to the brim in windy conditions. Take one out on the water and you will see that is a well designed hat.

I have lost count of the nobs which have bid me "G'day!" over the years.

Z :news:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Got myself a Tilley Hemp hat that doesn't have the button up sides, bought it for using on my boat, but use it everywhere now, unless I'm wearing my fleece buff. Absolutely love it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Johnboy - I like that, Statto of the Tilley hat world. I know my problem I research things too much before I buy. I just hate wasting money on a bad purchase as I work hard for every penny and can't afford to waste any of it. Plus I grew up wiith a Dad who would only let me spend my saved pocket money on a toy or whatever if I could justify getting it to his satisfaction. Made me a tight bugger I guess. Tighter than the proverbial ducks posterior.

G'day Zingmo, I'll be joining you in getting a Aussie / Canadian T3 shortly. I must admiit I do like the folding up brims as an affectation. Its like my other thread requestion advice on summer hats, somepeople expressed interest in those tricorner hats. That's an affectation that's beyond my sense of embarassment allows.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You wear the buff as a hat or neck thingy? I've never worn any of my buffs in any way other than a neck thingy that is occasionally in very bad winter weather pulled up over my nose to form the lower part of a balaclava with a hat as the upper. I wear two normal ones in winter as the double layer stops the wind but allows breath to escape so glasses are not too badly steamed up. Knew someone who wore a buff over the head with the free part drooping off the back of the head loosely. Never seen anyone with it as a bandana stylee but saw a couple on sunday with the loose drooping style.

How do you wear your Buff? Skullcap, bandanna, loose draping or headband. Or is there another style?

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
You wear the buff as a hat or neck thingy? I've never worn any of my buffs in any way other than a neck thingy that is occasionally in very bad winter weather pulled up over my nose to form the lower part of a balaclava with a hat as the upper. I wear two normal ones in winter as the double layer stops the wind but allows breath to escape so glasses are not too badly steamed up. Knew someone who wore a buff over the head with the free part drooping off the back of the head loosely. Never seen anyone with it as a bandana stylee but saw a couple on sunday with the loose drooping style.

How do you wear your Buff? Skullcap, bandanna, loose draping or headband. Or is there another style?

I have one buff with a polartec fleece extension on it (not seen them around for a while) which I use as a skull cap and /or bandanna style, I also have a regular buff which I wear as a bandanna, the main reason is to control my unruly hair (growing my hair long is part of my mid life crisis).

Cliv

Forager
Nov 15, 2008
Preston
I always wear a hat in the woods, i really hate having to dig ticks out of my skull a T3 with a its broad rim does the job nicely

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

I love Buffs too - I mainly use the standard Buff - or - my new favourite...the Merino Wool Buff. It is so versatile , it is incredible!

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
OMG- a merino buff???? the perfect combination of my two fav. things! away to google a supplier (other search engines are available)

KP

EDIT:

Forgot to add, I love my Tilley T3 too- very practical and about the only hat my wife says suits me (I have my doubts about that mind you, I dont think any hat suits me!)

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Had a Hemp Tilley, (TH4 I think) on all week-end, in the garden, at B&Q, at the BBQ, watching bushcraft TV drinking Whiskey. I also have a dark blue one with clip up side but feel it gets to hot if the sun is high, haven't had it on since I got my hemp one.
jon

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
OMG- a merino buff???? the perfect combination of my two fav. things! away to google a supplier (other search engines are available)

KP

I have a merino wool buff also. Field and Trek have them.

It is quite a bit longer than the regular buff. It feels good and can be worn longer without starting to smell. It also has seams at the ends unlike the polyester buffs.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How do you wear your buff? Start a new thread?

I always think a buff on the head looks worse than a Tilley as a prat hat. Wear it round your neck, its a snood afterall! ;)

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I just asked as I was thinking of getting a TIlley with a narrower brim at the side but they don't snap up. A mate has one that does and I think I might go for that one. Think its a T3. Seen one for £41.95 and think its a good deal. Not planning to carry a rifle, not unless the midges on Skye really are as big as they say they are.

Rifle wont do it for the skye midge! I suggest something inthe 30-50 calibre automatic range (think browning) but chemical warfare is the best way forward really.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Rifle wont do it for the skye midge! I suggest something inthe 30-50 calibre automatic range (think browning) but chemical warfare is the best way forward really.

Personally I found wind worked. Just got back and the midges were bad on one night (but we were too tired to care) and very, very, very bad on one morning. The rest of the time a gently breeze kept them down. I heard once that they can only fly up to 4mph so above that they stay in shelter.

I used to use chemical warfare but following a very nasty reaction to the nikwax stuff I have kind of become very wary of repellants, especially the ones claiming to be more "natural" (I wonder how natural if they are made in an industrial plant). I like the gun idea but not after the Cumbrian incident (a good mate was working in offices practically on top of the the first shooting struck it home). I now use barrier methods such as head nets and inside tents. Learnt a very good way to boil water on a gas stove with only my forearms going outside the midge proof netting. Looked daft but stopped the buggers a bit. Still it was interesting watching a mate's face slowly developing loads of red bite marks through the rear view mirror as I drove home. Sadistic pleasure I know and I'm totally ashamed. He he he!.

rblum

Apr 12, 2015
El Dorado Hills, CA
What's the point of hats with a "Aussie style fold up brim"? Tilley T3 for example.

I have wondered about that question as well as you, and have worn a stiff denim slouch hat for years. If Australian soldiers carry their rifles at "right shoulder arms", the snap is on the wrong side of the hat to help keep the brim clear of the rifle. Now all of that changes if Australian soldiers typically carry their weapons on their left shoulder.

The biggest advantage of a brim for me is that it is much cooler on a hot day to snap up the hat as long as the sun is not over my right side. The brim keeps the sun off on the sun side and the snap allows heat from my head and neck to slide on up. Other than that as a theory, I am at a loss.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have wondered about that question as well as you, and have worn a stiff denim slouch hat for years. If Australian soldiers carry their rifles at "right shoulder arms", the snap is on the wrong side of the hat to help keep the brim clear of the rifle. Now all of that changes if Australian soldiers typically carry their weapons on their left shoulder.

The biggest advantage of a brim for me is that it is much cooler on a hot day to snap up the hat as long as the sun is not over my right side. The brim keeps the sun off on the sun side and the snap allows heat from my head and neck to slide on up. Other than that as a theory, I am at a loss.
only the officers wear the brim up on the left side (specifically to mark themselves as officers) and officers don’t typically carry rifles.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Except in the cold (-20C), I wear an Outback Trading Kodiak hat. Waxed canvas and a wire rim.
I don't need to shoulder arms such that the barrel hits the brim. That's a wasted second when working fast moving game.
If it's windy, I'll add the rodeo strings and jam it on securely. Rarely an issue in our forests.

Just yesterday was looking at Akubra and Stetson for a seriously good hat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE