Whats the LEAST amount of items you would take bush???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickidan

May 14, 2011
Macclesfield
2 questions really.

What would you take with you for 1 night in the bush?

And what would you take for a week in the bush?

Of course in true bushcraft spirt we want to keep things to a minimum.

Very interested in what to bring and what not to bring when i go bushcrafting. i went to the bushcraft show with the intentions of staying out in the wild for a couple months and my lack of experience and my 35KG Rucksack were weighing down on my mind and body!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
clothes x 3 sets (1 on the body 1 spare 1 being washed)
sleeping mat
sleeping bag
bivi bag
waterproofs
torch and spare batteries
spare torch
another spare torch
stove
fuel for stove
tinder kit and fire steel
cooking utensils (pots pans)
water bottle
axe
saw
knife
sewing kit
pedal bin bags
tarp
tarp cordage etc
first aid kit
few bits and bobs
wash kit and micro fibre towel

i could live from this kit for a long time and be quite comfortable, depends how long your walking for though, i can do 42 miles in a day with 35lb quite easy and im not fussed, but thats just me ....;)

for a weekend trip probly almost the same really, unless im on a bonkers 5 items or less weekend...;)

regards.

chris.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
For one night?
-Doss bag
-shelter
-Cooker
-Tin mug
-Brew kit
-Food
-knife

For a week?
-as above
-extra food
-ron hills and t-shirt to sleep in
-tooth brush
-knife
-waterproof kit
-book
-candles
-map and compass
-note book and pencil

I may take 1 torch, but not 3. I do like the whole, it's dark, sleep, it's light be awake thing. I do like my sleep mind!

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
i would say one item if that could be a Patsy
Andrew_Spillett_(Patsy)_and_Peter_Davison_(King_Arthur)_in_the_London_Production_of_Spamalot,_photo_by_Catherine_Ashmore1.jpg

but i am a King

Last edited:

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
i could live from this kit for a long time and be quite comfortable, depends how long your walking for though, i can do 42 miles in a day with 35lb quite easy and im not fussed, but thats just me ....;)

for a weekend trip probly almost the same really, unless im on a bonkers 5 items or less weekend...;)

regards.

chris.

Where did you come up with 42 miles? It seems such a random number! What happens in mile 43? Blisters and exhaustion?

I was thinking if I did 42 miles a day, for a week, I'd nearly be at your house!

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
whats the scenario? traveling or setting up a basecamp?

if setting up a basecamp for one night i usualy take:

Knife
Axe
Billy can
Water
Sleeping bag and somtimes hammock and tarp, if not i just build one when i get there, or use a previously made one.
spare jacket
headtorch
ferro rod
food- bread, spread, spaghetti/pasta, biltong, buiscits
First aid kit

for a week i would add on:

Solar phone charger
Folding saw
a good book or two
catapult and ammo or air rifle (as i have hunting permission where i camp)
Lifesaver bottle (saving up for one)

if i where going ultra minimal i would take:
GB small forest axe
Can of althebetty spaghetti
sleeping bag
ferro rod
head torch
lifesaver bottle

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Where did you come up with 42 miles? It seems such a random number! What happens in mile 43? Blisters and exhaustion?

I was thinking if I did 42 miles a day, for a week, I'd nearly be at your house!

well i never get blisters because when i feel a hot spot it gets taped up with micro pors tape.....;)

the said 42 miles in 1 day was the start of a charirty event, i did start with 25kg of kit but had to sack it at mile 18, the pace was just to quick for that much gear....:( i did however keep my daysack with all the safety kit, blister and first aid kit bothy bag and my food and water, oh and flares etc about 10.....

we walked the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, its 186 miles long and we did it in 5 days, we walked it south to north but most people walk it north to south as the north section has more of a climb, i do like to make things hard....:):):):):) we raised £ 5,000 for Help For Heroes.

day 1 was 42 miles day2 40 miles day3 40 miles day4 38 miles day5 26 miles.......easy really....;)

im planning another trip at the moment, Hadrians Wall there and back, 80 miles there 80 miles back, we will be doing this 1 in 4 days 40 miles a day.....:)

think i might do it for Combat Stress this time.....

anyway, thats why where and how i walked 42 miles in 1 day.....

regards.

Chris....

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
For one night in Finland I do not usually bother to take other than a knife, matches and rations. For a week I would add an axe, some fishing line and hooks, spares and more rations.

forestwalker

For one night in Finland I do not usually bother to take other than a knife, matches and rations. For a week I would add an axe, some fishing line and hooks, spares and more rations.

I'd like to add a cooking pot to your list (and replace the matches with a ferro rod), but other than that it is quite ok. Actually, one could do the whole week with just the overnight list (just add food as appropriate).

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
42 miles is impressive and so is Marti's list.

My one nighters are usually in woodland and my pack weight is around 5-6 kilos inc food and water.
I take one ready prepared pouch for my evening meal, 5 oatbran and chocolate bars, and lots of daytime snacks like gorp.
I only carry loose tea in my brew kit as I don't have milk or sugar but I do allow myself the luxury of a tea-egg.
I take a small Zebra billy can, a plastic folding kuksa and a titanium spork.
2L water in whatever container comes to hand, usually an old plastic drinks bottle, supplemented by a canteen.
My tinder and fire kit is a folding knife, firesteel and a maya stick.
I take a poncho, a goretex army bivi bag, a fleece inner bag and possibly my self-inflating mat. In this weather I won't bother with a sleeping bag, I'll sleep in silk thermal long-johns and long sleeved top, the tight fleece layer does the rest.
If cold, I layer up with my day clothes: a merino jumper for my base layer with a woollen Swanni overshirt. And I usually wear OG ex-army trousers and German para boots with merino socks.
A small FAK, 20 ft paracord, medicines, map & compass, two hexi blocks as a backup, a ceramic sharpener and a SAK. That's it, all easily accommodated by a lightweight 20L pack.

For a week I'd take the car and all manner of new-fangled gubbins. I can't carry heavy weights for sustained periods any longer. Too long in the tooth.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Cool thread

Lightweight tent;
roll mat and sleeping bag;
Cook and fire set;
food;
water;
Spare clothes (the old 1 on, 1 off, 1 in the wash, + plus extra pair socks);
Knife;
FAK;
Map and compass;
few plastic bags (rubbish, laundry, foraging);
2 torches, head and hand);
Book, paper and pencil;;
some cord;
Waterproofs;
crocs or similar for padding around camp;

Food and spare clothes are the only thing that really changes.

Alex

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Minimum - Fire kit, Canteen cup and knife

but i don't like to make shelters so id add a basha or poncho with some paracord
Also a canteen, food and first aid kit
Also a sleeping bag and roll mat/self inflating mat go a long way

comfort items would be plastic folding mug, titanium spork, torch/headtorch, tinder kit and back up for fire- not always used but great for piece of mind, zebra billy can and folding saw

I say comfort items but i always carry them as i like to be comfy :)

forestwalker

I'd say that there is really a sliding scale. One one end there is ultra-minimalistic (knife, firemaking-kit, perhaps an extra sweather), on the other end is "minimal self-supported"; a kit that does not oblige me to make any significant impact on the environment for comfort. It depends on what I'm doing, and where. If I'm out away from people and have no other plans than to be/travel in the outdoors then the ultra-minimalistic kit works fine (a decent pot is luxuary but can be worked around), but if I need to sleep comfortably every night near a city all summer (i.e. bush B&B) then that is not an option, then the sensible list is a bit longer.

In the latter case I carry a shelter (basha, etc), ground insulation (foam pad/reindeer hide), sleeping bag/wool blanket, pot for cooking (and stove if there is a fire-ban), knife, FAK, any clothes and food needed. This year I'll try a Hennessy hammock and wool blanket/sleeping bag for the "shelter". I work summers at an outdoor museum -- Jamtli -- and thus need to do the bush B&B all summer,. Poor me having to live out in the woods all summer, the misery and suffering, the slings and stones of fortune.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
The very least? A pot, a knife, a firesteel, a compass, some cord, and an emergency blanket. Pretty mild climate here so I'd be quite happy with that. Hard to find water sometimes so something more than a pot to store extra would be next on the list of essentials. Maybe a midsized drybag would be a good bit of gear, could use it to store the other items till it's needed.

Normally? Dossbag, uq, hammock, poncho tarp, alcohol stove, ti pot, cordage, knife, pocket knife, spork, a 'change' of clothes (thermals for sleeping, hat, bandana, jumper, wool socks) to supplement my dayclothes (breathable tee and trousers, running socks). I'm at about 7kg base weight.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Next time I'll be out will hopefully be an overnighter in a few weeks, Ill just take basic stuff pretty much as has been mentioned by other. I can see my friend taking everything including the sink as its his first time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE