Whats the best grind for your ideal bushcraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is the best grind for a bushcraft knife?

• Scandy

Votes: 368 58.6%
  • Full Flat

Votes: 101 16.1%
  • Convex

Votes: 142 22.6%
  • Hollow Ground

Votes: 17 2.7%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2011
Germany
A little late to the party, but yes, +1 for scandi if you're into woodwork and handicraft. If you're more into hunting, full flat may be the way to go, though.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll suggest that a total included bevel angle of 25 degrees will be fine for a general purpose camping knife.
Fine carving knives are 12 degrees, choppers may run as high as 40 degrees.
Because I am not chopping bones, I use 20 degrees for all cleavers and knives in my kitchen.

That bevel is the angle that you push things open.
The rest of the blade design must support that in service.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Maybe a few more degrees for a knife used in Nature.

The reason I like the Mora 2000 blade so much is because it is perfectly designed for varying degrees going from the handle towards the tip.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
In my thinking it go's, tool, task, steel. so....Perang convex at about 30 deg, general use I've got back into super skinny's with FFG at again 30 deg but the Garberg is still dam good at 27 deg scandi with a micro, I guess we all have preference just be good with everything and anything in your hand.

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I voted scandi too. I just find it the easiest to sharpen, the steel on the knives for the most part is decent for little money too. They’re easy to sharpen in the field without worrying about going off the angle set by the factory/bladesmith

It always makes me smile when I get a question like this, because I would not know one knife grind from another, & I very much doubt that the term was even used 300 years ago. But I do know a good knife when I handle it & use it, & I do know the blade shapes that I prefer. My main use for a knife is skinning & butchering, self defence, as an eating tool, & for making items such as kettle hooks, traps & trap triggers. No one knife will make the perfect blade for all of these functions, so I carry three blades. A hunting knife, a legging knife, & a clasp knife. For heavier work I carry a tomahawk/axe.
Keith.
hunting-knife-001-REDUCED.jpg
Legging-Knife-3-REDUCED.jpg

Clasp-Knife-Opinel-folding-knife-2-REDUCED.jpg
Tomahawk-002-KH-REDUCED.jpg

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The second knife from the top looks very interesting.
What are the dimensions, and what do you use it for?

It looks ‘pre industrial’ in shape.

I have never heard of the various edges before I joined this forum.

GDSO

Apr 21, 2020
West Sussex
Morning all,

My first post on the BCUK forum. I have a few knives and would go with a scandi grind, despite my 'proper' knife being an F1 (with trick Bark River handle), mainly as I hate sharpening it. I find putting an edge back on a scandi grind easy enough by hand and very easy with the guided sharpening widget, but I find the F1 hard.

There wasn't an option for it above, but my favourite folder (CRKT M16 tanto) is a chisel grind, which is dead easy to sharpen and works well, albeit used for different tasks than a larger fixed blade.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Janne, I guess that's because all outdoor knives you have seen in Scandinavia have a Scandi grind???

The Scandi grind is nice for carving, the flat grind is nice for cooking, but weak, the concave blade isn't so easy to clean after breakfast.
Convex is good for everything but not so easy to sharpen.
So, I voted for Scandi, but usually use a flat grind, Victorinox or Opinel, because I eat 100 times before I carve something.

The perfect travel and trekking knive has a flat grind, the perfect bushcraft knive a Scandi grind in my opinion.

The Fjellkniven F1 is phantastic as long as you don't try to slice vegetables with it.
Surely the perfect survival knive it is a bad kitchen knife. The blade is simply to thick.

German boy scouts tent to use flat grinded knives with relatively thin blades. Carefully used they work for carving too, but they are fine in the kitchen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE