What's the best crafty thing you have ever made?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Wow! There are some truly amazing things being made by you lot. Kinda puts my thrown together tarp in the shade. It's certainly not to some of the levels of quality shown here, but I like it none the less. Once I get a decent pic I might shame myself into showing it here.. :lol:

Nag.

Wow! There are some truly amazing things being made by you lot. Kinda puts my thrown together tarp in the shade. It's certainly not to some of the levels of quality shown here, but I like it none the less. Once I get a decent pic I might shame myself into showing it here.. :lol:

Nag.

I want to see your tarp I want to see your tarp I want to see your tarp I want to see your tarp I want to see your tarp I want to see your tarp I want to see your tarp I want to see your tarp... etc..

:)

I'm hoping no one will be put off showing their favourite creations. I might post a picture of my kuksa, just to balance things out a bit...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
:Wow: they are amazing. What are the mini totems for? How did you make the bark buckets??? How did you get the 'scorched' effect in the patterns of some of your spoons???

ahem... sorry... I get carried away. :rolleyes:

Ah....that'll be me then:bandit:

Mini totems: just decoration really, brilliant for practicing knifes skills- Mind you, I don't have a single one in my possession anymore; all either traded,sold or given away:rolleyes:

Bark buckets: Have a look at Eric Methvens threads, he did a bit of a tutorial from our last bark container course. The ugly little fat bloke is me:p (well one of them anyway:D )

The "Scorched" patterns are colerosing/scrimshaw type decoration-you carve the designs into the wood then rub in a powder made from inner birch bark ( or coffee will do but stinks)

Hope this answers your queries;)

Hey Mike! some fantastic bits and bobs there:cool:
cheers
R.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ach - the previous stuff make me look ham fisted.....
Nov03777.jpg

Oct28763.jpg

not the blades though
Oct25752.jpg

Jun24123.jpg

BushChair.jpg

Mar20817.jpg

Mylatestprojects-1.jpg

I like making stuff but am no expert in any field...

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Truly amazing skill/quality?

Hmmm ... you obviously haven't seen my scrap pile - of failed projects, tortured/twisted iron, equally tortured/twisted wood, scraps of canvas/leather, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, wait a minute. That description sounds like my SHOP!

And it ain't no beauty itself! 6 sheets of corrogated roofing tin nailed to a couple 2x6's held up by some 2x4's and old tipi poles - with plastic tarps hanging down around the sides almost to the ground - to ... mostly ... close it in from the rain/wind/snow. But it's still a fun place to play. And I don't have to pick up all the tools/toys each evening to pack them away from the weather. Come to think about it, it DOES look so much like just another scrap/junk pile.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Some of my leather stuff:
DSCN0336.jpg

A couple of Nessmuk knives:
DSCN0014-3.jpg

DSCN0452.jpg

A couple of carved hiking sticks:

DSCN0561.jpg

A canoe:

Dscn0090.jpg

And my biggest creation to date: a 31ft catamaran. That was built 20 years ago, but I am still happy with it! Pity I had to sell her :( Well, it was selling the kids or the boat :D Sorry, the pic is not too good.

2008-11-18-1657-09.jpg

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I enjoy the small stuff that I make all the time,toast rack,toys for the kids etc whittled out of wood.

My new knife took some making. It was the first one that I have made from scratch,blade and all. First sheath too.

number2_side1.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

Stevcho

Nov 2, 2008
Bulgaria
www.bigshoescanoes.com
I've made 40 L of wine but its no worth showing a pic. Oh and 28 L of Rakia but thats going down slowly.
Still not able to upload pics who has control of this ?
And how much Rakia does it take for the bribe.......

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I've made 40 L of wine but its no worth showing a pic. Oh and 28 L of Rakia but thats going down slowly.
Still not able to upload pics who has control of this ?
And how much Rakia does it take for the bribe.......

To be able to upload pictures to the forum, you need to join some host such as Photobucket, you can then upload yours pictures to Photobucket and then you can upload them up on here. No need for a bribe...:D

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have changed my mind having seen whats beem posted this is my best.

Elmburrps3.jpg

Elmburrps2.jpg

I sadly had to hand it over to the guy I made it for but at least he has used it.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Alf, that's lovely! :) I've got an antler that I ultimately want to make in to a knife handle. How do you polish it up?

There is no antler in this knife.

To polish antler just go down through the grits to around a 1000 and use a polishing wheel or metal or perspex polish. Some antler is better than others it depends on what type it is and what the core is like as in whether it very honeycombed.
If possible test it out first to see what the centre is like.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I'm not in the same league as some of these guys:eek:

I find I get great pleasure and satisfaction from making things myself from natural materials wood, leather, etc' and various metals.

Here's a photo of my latest knife (handled and sheathed by me) and my backup folder.
Knives1_opt.jpg

Knives2_opt.jpg

Being an Engineer by trade I've made all sorts of the years model boats, steam engines and boilers, various tools and even a model garden shed.
Shed_opt.jpg

insideshed_opt.jpg

It was made as a scale model of my Uncles Allotment shed to go his 60th birthday cake
a few years back. I even managed to kit it out inside as near as I could to his shed:)

Richard

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
What a cool wee thread some great work there:You_Rock_ .Here is few pics of my kuksa,knifes,pouches and of course spoons:rolleyes: .
IMG_3897.jpg

I am kind of fond this knife I made from recycled materials.
IMG_5871.jpg

This wee pouch is the last thing made I posted little tutorial.
IMG_1723.jpg

Some things I whittled in the backyard.
IMG_3681.jpg

I also make wind chimes from old cutlery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE