What's in your stew?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Try doing your dumps in the oven; 20' @ 180°C or so. They come out like crusty bread - lightly browned crust and soft, fluffy inside. Add some stew and you have something as scrummyumptious as a scrummyumptious thing can be.
t2801.gif

Yup - that's how we do them. I like the added crunchiness. Though cooking in the oven and then sitting them in the stew for a bit would be a good halfway point.

I am starving right now and this thread has not helped one bit! :rolleyes:

Stilton in the dumplings sounds pretty good actually! mmmm stilton and port! yum.

Andy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
First dredge the meat (elk, thanks to my future son-in-law) in seasoned flour then brown it in a small amount of oil (or preferably bacon fat) next add sliced Vadalia onions, sliced carrots, and ground black pepper to taste. Cover with beef stock and simmer for an hour then add potatoes and tomatoes, and whatever seasonal vegetable is available, adjust seasoning, and simmer another half hour.

Serve with hot cornbread.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys, excuse my stupidity, but how do you guys go about cooking your stews?
At home not a problem, I brown all the lovely meat and put it in my slow cooker an 10 hours later I have summit that is glorious on the palate lol!!
My problem arises outside, if you cook ths on a good stove where you can adjust the heat well, you would be able to cook it almost perfectly, but it would not be very econimcal on fuel, on the other hand if yu do it over the fire, you would get good economy but for a consistant burn for say 3 hours that would take a hel of alot of tendering wouldnt it?
Do you just put it on some sort of adustable pot hanger so you can move it away or closer to the heat? Or do it on a few coals so it jut blips away??
Cheers
Steve

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Fry off red onion, white onion, ramson bulbs in the bottom of a parge pan with some oil. Add the meat and brown then add the Choritzio.
Add a some ale and a little water plus any stock you have.
Add the hard veg, carrorts, sweed etc.
Cook for a few hours then add the new potatoes 30 mins from the end.

All good.

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
Fry off red onion, white onion, ramson bulbs in the bottom of a parge pan with some oil. Add the meat and brown then add the Choritzio.
Add a some ale and a little water plus any stock you have.
Add the hard veg, carrorts, sweed etc.
Cook for a few hours then add the new potatoes 30 mins from the end.

All good.

And we only had had pork belly last time, cheers mate. Next time your cooking!

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
At home not a problem, I brown all the lovely meat and put it in my slow cooker an 10 hours later I have summit that is glorious on the palate lol!!
My problem arises outside, if you cook ths on a good stove where you can adjust the heat well, you would be able to cook it almost perfectly, but it would not be very econimcal on fuel, on the other hand if yu do it over the fire, you would get good economy but for a consistant burn for say 3 hours that would take a hel of alot of tendering wouldnt it?
Do you just put it on some sort of adustable pot hanger so you can move it away or closer to the heat? Or do it on a few coals so it jut blips away??
Cheers
Steve

An adjustable hanger makes the least labour intensive method but isnt effecient with fuel. Start with a very hot fire and put the hanger on the highest setting and lower it as the fire dies down. If youve got good fuel you might get away with not adding any more fuel.

Ive seen folk do the opposite and adjust the fire to reach there static hanger, this is a load of faffing about though. Some folk just put the pot on coals and move it about to get the desired effect.

The first method allows you to do something else just remember to lower the pot every now and then, if its not cooked by the time your pots at the lowest setting just stick an armload of fuel on and repeat the process.

Tatties
beef
carrots
onions
neep
parsnip
4 bovril stock cubes per litre
lots of salt
lots of black pepper

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cheers
Steve

Two words; DUTCH OVEN.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Dutch oven's are pretty awesome!

Made a crumble in one a while back - put some coals in the lid and it cooked the top ;)

Andy

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Obviously being a Scouser I have Scouse, not stew.

When I was a brand new trainee chef (whipping boy), the real old timers used to use a mix of flour and water and added it to soups and stews.

They called it Scouse.

What with gluten etc intolerances, no one I know uses it in the industry these days.

Liam

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Cheers
Steve

This should make some interesting reading for you bud... Adjustable pot hanger required :) http://www.oldandsold.com/articles07/foods-65.shtml

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
What's in your stew?

Cabbage and lots of it. It's called hunters stew or bigos. It's a Polish dish served with crusty bread. Very warming on those cold winter nights. If anyone is interested I will put my recipe up.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
What's in your stew?

Cabbage and lots of it. It's called hunters stew or bigos. It's a Polish dish served with crusty bread. Very warming on those cold winter nights. If anyone is interested I will put my recipe up.

Just be sure to weigh the duvet cover down!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
My version of Cumberland tatie pot!
like Lancashire hotpot but include pearl barley and a layer of seared blqck pudding, its delicious.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE