Whats in your Pocket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Beer Monster said:
Where do you guys get the small firesteels from? Are they the same ones on the ranger fire steels?

I sent an enquiry to Cam at firesteels.co.uk about mini firesteels and he's contacting his supplier with regards to price and minimum order quantities, so I may be able to do a group buy if there's enough interest.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I've got a pouch on my belt with the following items:
-a firesteel
-victorinox huntsman (knife,scissors,saw)
-motorola C115 mobile phone (cheapest I could find while still good battery) in zip lock bag to waterproof it, I can still talk easily trough the ziplock bag.
-a matchbox made of shotgun shells
-a keyring with 3 keys (I try to avoid keys though, have numeral lock for bike etc)
-a bic biro (to fill in my trainpass called a go-pass)
-a bic lighter
-a Fenix L0D CE torch using 1 AAA battery.

In my trousers pockets I've got
-my wallet
-a snot rag
-a Camelbak Buff scarf (got it as present, wouldn't ever buy the overpriced thing it is).

I don't carry anything where I can easily strike the firesteel with (can use the back of the SAK saw but not very easily + damages the knife a bit), not even the back of my Mora blade works as it's rounded off a bit (opinel back works good). So I think I'll leave that out in the future. I think my firesteel (from BB groupbuy) is a bit hard, while most are softer. Maybe I can find a good striker though.
I'll probably leave the lighter out as well as I only carry it to light cigarettes (my matches would run out too fast), and I've decided not to smoke too much anymore. Lighting a real fire I mostly use matches.

I very often carry a shoulder bag or rucksack with me. With some plastic bags to collect stuff in. Also often a german poncho when it's changing weather.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
gunnix said:
I've got a pouch on my belt with the following items:
-a firesteel
-victorinox huntsman (knife,scissors,saw)
-motorola C115 mobile phone (cheapest I could find while still good battery) in zip lock bag to waterproof it, I can still talk easily trough the ziplock bag.
-a matchbox made of shotgun shells
-a keyring with 3 keys (I try to avoid keys though, have numeral lock for bike etc)
-a bic biro (to fill in my trainpass called a go-pass)
-a bic lighter
-a Fenix L0D CE torch using 1 AAA battery.

In my trousers pockets I've got
-my wallet
-a snot rag
-a Camelbak Buff scarf (got it as present, wouldn't ever buy the overpriced thing it is).

I don't carry anything where I can easily strike the firesteel with (can use the back of the SAK saw but not very easily + damages the knife a bit), not even the back of my Mora blade works as it's rounded off a bit (opinel back works good). So I think I'll leave that out in the future. I think my firesteel (from BB groupbuy) is a bit hard, while most are softer. Maybe I can find a good striker though.
I'll probably leave the lighter out as well as I only carry it to light cigarettes (my matches would run out too fast), and I've decided not to smoke too much anymore. Lighting a real fire I mostly use matches.

I very often carry a shoulder bag or rucksack with me. With some plastic bags to collect stuff in. Also often a german poncho when it's changing weather.

You need all that in Belgium? ? ? :confused: :p :p :p :lmao: :lmao:

Why don't you take a file to the back of your mora and square it off, then it'll work with your firesteel just fine and dandy :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Wayland said:
Had the camera out so I thought I'd shoot some of the more interesting bits from my pockets.

Pocket-1.jpg

Most is fairly obvious but Clockwise from the left is my barrel knife. A small LED torch. An antler whistle. A Dalvey Compass with sun position tables stuck into the lid. A SAK with puritabs in ID barrel. A matchcase with compass. A brass petrol lighter. A Marbles compass on an alloy caribina. and in the centre is my watch on a steel caribina. Some of the items are wrapped in rubber inner tubing.

Pocket-2.jpg

These items are distributed through various trouser and jacket pockets and hanging from my belt but in response to the original question... If I was out walking the dog, I may well have all of them with me.
Hi
Where do you find the barrel knife. Would love to get one. and one of the brass
lighters.
If you know where I can find them Pm me hear

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
You need all that in Belgium? ? ? :confused: :p :p :p :lmao: :lmao:

Why don't you take a file to the back of your mora and square it off, then it'll work with your firesteel just fine and dandy :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

good idea to square it off

Or even better I could just carry the file to strike the firesteel, sure need that in Belgium ;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
looks inpressive but do you need it

let the stilnis in your self give the answere

If you read the post you will note these are in various pockets.

Depending which jacket I pick up I could have all or none of these items on me but I will always carry something to cut with, something to light a fire with and something to find direction with.

Do I need them every day? I would say yes, more often than not I use one or more of these items daily.

Wouldn't you?

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
I have a mini led torch, a penknife/bottle opener, a HUGE firesteel, a hacksaw blade, and - surprised no one else has one of these - a K ration can opener - really tiny and comes in useful.

Also got a trintium glow in the dark thingy, which is really bright - great if you drop your keys and so bright enough to read by up close in an emergency.
Sorry - can't figure out how to add a photo.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE