Whats in your Pocket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
SAK Farmer (same as skankers, except it dosen't have the keyring :confused: ), keys, change.

I use to carry my victorinox multitool which I loved, but apparently when I moved, it jumped out of it's box :(

And pretty soon, I should have a trusty firesteel !

I Strip strip the Fire steel out of its holder
Chuck the SAK Toothpick and drill out the hole.
the Steel fits in nicly just file a finger nail groove round the end to get it out
you can always make a toothpick :D

Woodcutter said:
Interested to know what you carry if out walking the dog, or just out in the country for a stole, I know we all have our own preferences for kit we take when spending one or more nights out. Here's a pic of what goes in my pocket, anti-clockwise I have, char cloth, mini led torch, whistle, SAK, mini fire steel.

Pocket.jpg
[/IMG]

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I am not sure how mini you mean by mini, but the sweedish scout model fire steel I can buy in any camping shop I go to, it is usually more difficult to get the Military model. ALthough some field and trek shops do have them.
If you want the ranger style, they or a version of them comes with the BCB survival tin.
SO try looking for a millets near you, or even a half decent army surplus shop might do.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
8thsinner said:
I am not sure how mini you mean by mini, but the sweedish scout model fire steel I can buy in any camping shop I go to, it is usually more difficult to get the Military model. ALthough some field and trek shops do have them.
If you want the ranger style, they or a version of them comes with the BCB survival tin.
SO try looking for a millets near you, or even a half decent army surplus shop might do.

I mean mini as in the size of the one on Woodcutters keyring.

Hey Woodcutter, where did you get that from?

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
At the moment just have my car,toolbox and house keys with a sak classic sd and a photon(just swapped from the streamlight keymate) and im just waiting on a leatherman squirt p4 coming which ill use to replace my sak.

oh and ill sometimes grab my zippo just to footer with lol

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Had the camera out so I thought I'd shoot some of the more interesting bits from my pockets.

Pocket-1.jpg

Most is fairly obvious but Clockwise from the left is my barrel knife. A small LED torch. An antler whistle. A Dalvey Compass with sun position tables stuck into the lid. A SAK with puritabs in ID barrel. A matchcase with compass. A brass petrol lighter. A Marbles compass on an alloy caribina. and in the centre is my watch on a steel caribina. Some of the items are wrapped in rubber inner tubing.

Pocket-2.jpg

These items are distributed through various trouser and jacket pockets and hanging from my belt but in response to the original question... If I was out walking the dog, I may well have all of them with me.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
This would be a typical EDC for the city. If I’m travelling on the Underground this would be supplemented with a good first aid kit made up from St John Ambulance supplies, 500ml water bottle and a larger LED torch with long-life batteries (around 100 hours) and spares, and a mobile phone.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention a whistle.

Of course, different environments require different stuff...which just adds to the fun :)

pocket_edc_bcuk.jpg

Sorry about the low quality image, it’s taken with a mobile phone (Siemens M65 – nice robust construction with a reinforcing, external metal frame, but the pixel size leaves a little to be desired).

Incidentally, the BCUK key ring LED is a little beauty, it still works even having accidentally gone in the washing machine.

Best regards,
Paul.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
TheGreenMan said:
If I’m travelling on the Underground this would be supplemented with a good first aid kit made up from St John Ambulance supplies, 500ml water bottle and a larger LED torch with long-life batteries (around 100 hours) and spares, and a mobile phone.

I didn't think mobile phones work on the underground? Certainly they didn't last time I travelled on the system :confused: :confused: :confused:

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
bambodoggy said:
I didn't think mobile phones work on the underground? Certainly they didn't last time I travelled on the system :confused: :confused: :confused:

Parts of the Underground, are, in fact, above ground, and I have heard of the odd set working in the subterranean environment, though I've never tried it.

Best regards,
Paul.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Unfortunately thats soon to change, they are hoping to install mobile phone services throughout the underground by 2009.

After the London bombings I was taking a First Aid Kit, maglite torch and SAK on the underground with me.

Though I now have stopped taking the FAK as it was a bit to bulky.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I don’t know how you feel about it, Zam, but I feel that facilitating mobile coverage in the Underground is something of a backward step, both in terms of security (making the use of mobile phones to detonate bombs possible) and in the sense of being forced to eavesdrop on other peoples tedious and non-essential communications to a greater extent than ialready happens.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE