what's in your fire tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Flint, traditional fire steel, birch bark, jute and charcloth. If I'm going out for a while then I'll have a ferrocerium rod, strips of rubber, cotton wool/vaseline, and more birch bark.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Johnny R
The bulk of my tinder box is Birch Bark and Bog Cotton but also a small flint, a couple of slices of Amadou, one Crampball one piece of FatWood, Charcloth a short lenght of Jute a Micro ferrocerium rod, 2 or 3 Magnesium Strip one Wet fire cube one Baddest bee fire fuse one Tinder-Quik cotton bud and a small Silica Gel Sachet all stuffed like hell into a 177 Airgun pellet tin.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Cheers Johnny R
I forgot to mention the striker out of a Clipper and the cut down Fresnel lense, I have black tape round the tin, not for water proofing, just to keep the lid from popping off the thread.

Last edited:

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Cotton wool with Vaseline, birch bark, strips of bicycle inner tube, fatwood, crampball and a small piece of hexi block.
Plus a couple of ferro rods.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
....most of the things that have been mentioned, plus my own instant tinder - pieces of broken arrow shaft with a small ally or plastic single barrel pencil sharpener. It gives thin cut, dry, resinous tinder at a moment's notice.

I have an Esee Sheath Pouch on my Becker BK2 I have a Light My Fire Military Ferro Rod - Orange, attached to this

In the tin I have a Large Bore Magnetised Needle with some bankline wrapped around it.
A BIC Lighter - Orange
A 6 power Magnifying Glass
2 Wetfire Cubes
3 Micro Inferno Pellets
Some Char-cloth
A piece of Tinder Card
and then it is padded with cotton wool
I secure it with 3 bands of bicycle inner tube, and I slide a Topps Dog Tag Signal Mirror in-between them and the tin

I have a Maxpedition Mega Rolly Polly Dump Pouch on my belt, I collect Birch Bark, Thistle Down, Dead Flower Tops etc...etc... as I go along and as many matchstick thin birch twigs as I can find.

I've never failed to get a sustainable fire going, however i've never been successful at getting a flame from a bowdrill either.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'm going to get judged here... Ferro rod, char cloth with the end dipped in sulphur. Inner tube with the end dipped in sulphur. Baggie of potassium nitrate... I know... I'm judging me too

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Char cloth ( home made from 100% cotton ) in a small round container, five wooden coffee stirrers ( halfed in two ) , jute string, amadou ( self processed ) , flint, traditional steel striker, ferrocium rod, cotton wool ( vaseline coated).

All inside a 2oz tin, said tin goes inside a leather pouch bag that contains silver birch bark with space left to collect dry tinder on route.

Pete

Edit : Forgot to add the ranger bands that secure the lid in place can be used as well.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine's in an oiled leather pouch. It contains two firebundles (birch bark wrapped and tied around a nest of dried mugwort and flax with bits of amadou and chagga) a flint and steel, some strips amadou and of inner tube and a sparklite kit. There's a peanut lighter on my keyring too.

Good things these spark lite's :) Reliable, lightweight, and easily packed.
http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Lite-Military-Edition-Starter-Tinder/dp/B005HTFJGE

M

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Toddy
I found some chega the other day on a dead Birch and got a 2nd opinion here over on the Flora & Fauna page,
Dave said I should try drying it out and see if it takes a spark which I did, I tested it yesterday and it worked brilliantly, nice smell to. Amadou is a bit time consuming to prepare, its a good skill to know how to prepare Horses hoof fungi into Amadou but True Tinder Fungus / Chaga is defiantly my new favourite, no prep just off the tree dry and go, great stuff. The other good thing I like about chega is, now I know what it looks like I know there is shed loads of it around here on the Birch, now I just need a Iron pyrite nodule to test it on the very faintest of sparks.

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Fire kit, flint & steel striker, ferro rod, a few (sealed) wood matches, jute, char cloth, glass lens, all in a copper oval container voyageur style.
But that does not exempt matches and lighters in pockets.

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Our own fire kits I think a better question is what do we use regularly. I'm guessing 90% of people here COULD light a fire with nothing but a boot lace and some scavenged wood. But the same way 100% of us COULD turn the tv over by hand but choose to use a remote. In the same way I use char/sulphur and ferro most of the time when in honesty a lighter (i smoke) could work better.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
My firebag contains jet flame lighter, fatwood, cattail fluff, ferro rod, cramp balls, magnesium block and scraper, flint + steel + char cloth, wax coated hemp twine and jute, i like to play/practice with different fire starters :rolleyes: it sounds like a huge bag but it is only a small 2ltr vinyl roll top dry bag and it's not even 1/3rd full

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My firebag contains jet flame lighter, fatwood, cattail fluff, ferro rod, cramp balls, magnesium block and scraper, flint + steel + char cloth, wax coated hemp twine and jute, i like to play/practice with different fire starters :rolleyes: it sounds like a huge bag but it is only a small 2ltr vinyl roll top dry bag and it's not even 1/3rd full

Is that fatwood any good?

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Amazing stuff, i prefer to use it in finely shaved curls with a firesteel but many people make a dust (maya dust) by grinding the back of their knife down it, it is the go to material if you are having trouble lighting a fire, mix in a little cattail fluff and it nearly lights itself

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Amazing stuff, i prefer to use it in finely shaved curls with a firesteel but many people make a dust (maya dust) by grinding the back of their knife down it, it is the go to material if you are having trouble lighting a fire, mix in a little cattail fluff and it nearly lights itself

I'll give it a try it's been in my Amazon reccomendation for a while. I've found fluff from rosebay willowherb works better than cattail too. One of the bonuses of a fire scar is that stuff grows in it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE