what's in your fire tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I find myself just grabbing the cattail stuff every now and then and stuff a bagful as it is everywhere i seem to be camping

I have a bags worth of birch bark a couple bits of fat wood and a matchsafe made from shotgun cartridges in my bag.
I also have a firelighter in my rucksacks needful bag (drybag with powerbank FAK spare batteries and so on)

I use tbis most the time but i also gather other tinders when out n about then add them to the tinderbag.
re rosebay willowherb. In autumn/early winter the stems burn well as a fine kindling. Another good plant to know about as its got quite a few uses

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I usually shave up some firelighting sticks when I'm at home, split some to various sizes and keep it in a plastic ziplock, in a tin with a couple of tealight candles, firelighters wrapped in tinfoil, matches and a spare lighters.

Generally if I'm out and about I've got the alpkit brukit with me as well, if I want a stick fire it's simply another alternative flame producer. I'd be a great believer in making things as easy as possible, why potentially struggle out and about in the wet when a tin of dry stuff can make your life and your trip that bit more pleasant? There's nothing fun about not being able to get a fire going when you really really really need or want to!!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Got a tobacco tin, inside my possibles pouch, with a firesteel blank, stanley blade scraper, wad of charcloth from jeans, chaga mushroom, flint, viking firesteel, slow burning jute rope, in deer antler, also an aluminium, nato round cigarette case, for 7 cigarettes with a screw top, and 50 brit army stormproof matches inside. in possibles pouch.

Have fat wood, firesteel blank, and other stuff, vaselined cotton wool, broken down compressed natural wood firelighters, a bic lighter, in a rubber tobacco pouch, kept inside a small dry bag in my canoe pfd

And carry a cloth sack, about 12"x12" with a drawstring, to collect natural tinder, like loads of birch bark, or dead pine needles and if neccesary can put it next to my body.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh

I have one of the Hudson tins with char cloth and bits of old rope, the bag has more rope and char cloth as well as a candle some fat wood bits and another bit of flint... I like to gather any fluff or birch bark if I'm passing any...

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
We have a lot of birch in my area, can't step 500byds with stepping a swamp,so a lot of cattails also. My fire kit is like JohnC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE