What would you do here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Today, I found a hare next to the road where I always walk.

2013-04-29 09.59.03 by Sami knives, on Flickr

2013-04-29 09.59.49 by Sami knives, on Flickr

It's neck was broken, it didn't smell bad and it's eyes hadn't been pecked out yet.
I called it dinner and took it home with me.

Well, as I was skinning it, my mother came in, and told me to throw it away as she heard from some hunter that 'Bacteria from the intestines will taint the meat within an hour after death.' I was understandably not happy as I didn't believe it for a moment.

So is my mother right?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Only if the guts are damaged or its become warm. Roadkill can spoil from roadheat.
Should always really gut em swiftly, but a couple of hours won't harm. Imo :eek:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Never heard that Niels (unless as chiseller said, the guts are damaged)

I've lost count of the number of times i've been out lamping and left all the gutting until the end of the shoot. Sometimes 6 hours or more. Gutted them all before i went home. Never had problems.

When i worked on a shooting estate we went out on beaters day, specifically for hares. Shot 73 in an afternoon. All were left ungutted until the end of the day. We all took a brace and the game dealer came for the rest.... still ungutted... a few hours after they were shot. It was winter though, Nov/dec if i remember rightly and it was cold. :)

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Is guts might have been damaged internally from the car hit. I hadn't opened it up yet.

Nevertheless, because of my dissapointement, my mum let me choose what's for dinner.:) So long as it isn't this hare.

magpiewolf

Nov 10, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Hare is traditionally hung for several days before being gutted, as are several other species of game, so I would respectfully suggest that your mother's hunting friend doesn't know his game preparation.

Unless there's a break in the skin that would allow bacteria in from outside or the guts had been ruptured inside the corpse, don't worry about it. Your hare will be fine. Enjoy it!

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Hare is traditionally hung for several days before being gutted, as are several other species of game, so I would respectfully suggest that your mother's hunting friend doesn't know his game preparation.

Unless there's a break in the skin that would allow bacteria in from outside or the guts had been ruptured inside the corpse, don't worry about it. Your hare will be fine. Enjoy it!

Hanging game is a game in its self.....but I've never heard of hanging hares for several days with its guts n garters intact. I know a.bloke who hangs his for a month without guts , he leaves only the heart in place.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hanging game is a game in its self.....but I've never heard of hanging hares for several days with its guts n garters intact. I know a.bloke who hangs his for a month without guts , he leaves only the heart in place.

Maybe a Scottish thing, we used to hang them intact (unless gut shot) and as you passed them hanging you'd squeeze downwards to release urine over the next few days. My Dad used to hang hares and pheasants to long for me though, far to "ripe".

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Intresting to know :thumbup: I always thumb the bladder the minute I've my hands on them......

Ripe.....now there's a word :D cheers :thumbup:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Intresting to know :thumbup: I always thumb the bladder the minute I've my hands on them......

Ripe.....now there's a word :D cheers :thumbup:

Oh the pheasants were green.... no way I was eating that, but he liked them that way. Mind you there was a man that could chew paracetamol (dry boaking even thinking of that)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I couldn't convince my mother to cook it for me. So, in an effort not to waste the meat, I gave it to Joost. Here's hoping his mum isn't as squeamish as mine.:rolleyes:

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as above the meat should be fine, unless the guts is burst, it taints the meat but you can still eat it even if it has, cut away all the really bad bits and soak in salt water for 12-24 hours, then its good to go.. i have had rabbits for 2-3 days with the guts left in and then gutted them and eaten....

agree with the green birds though, toooooo strong for me, and eat Paracetamol dry too...;)

regards.

chris.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I live in Hare country Niels. Here is our "formula"

Shoot

Hock the hare and hang in a tree - the fleas will jump ship as it "cools" - hares are like hedgepigs - bleedin riddled with jumpies

Retrieve at the end of the night

Paunch (gut)

Hang as desired. I usually go for yearlings and dont hang - but older muscle bound bucks benefit from a couple or three days hanging

Slow cook in gravy or wine

The trouble with roadkill is if bones went through the gut, the meat will be gross - cooking will probably kill the bacteria, but...nasty

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Agree with all the above
I have heard years ago, an old tradition is to bury hares instead of hanging them.
Anyone else heard of that?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Agree with all the above
I have heard years ago, an old tradition is to bury hares instead of hanging them.
Anyone else heard of that?

I haven't heard it but there's a definite logic to it. Burrying, if deep enough, puts it below the point where bacteria live and basiclly substitutes for refrigeration.

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands

We always leave it ungutted until we clean it.
Depending on the temperature I leave it up to 2 weeks (obviously, hares are typically shot in winter so a lot colder than now).
With the current temp, i'd leave it for a day or two and then clean it I think.
I do empty the bladder once the dog brings it in, urine gives a really foul taste.

But DO leave it in a cool place, with the current temps and oncomming flies a game-net might be a bright idea as well.

Btw, you don't NEED to hang it, my friend hates the really gamy flavour so he cleans them the same day/day after.

P.s. I think your mom just wanted the damn thing out of the shed :p
I don't know where you live, but if anywhere close to Gorinchem, i'm happy to give some advice should you stumble upon another hare (presenting it to your mom in a without the coat and nicely vacumed does help ;)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....P.s. I think your mom just wanted the damn thing out of the shed :p
I don't know where you live, but if anywhere close to Gorinchem, i'm happy to give some advice should you stumble upon another hare (presenting it to your mom in a without the coat and nicely vacumed does help ;)

LOL. I wish I'd been in my father's childhood. Back then the men and boys would just shoot the game (or catch the fish) and their wives or mothers would clean and cook it.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
P.s. I think your mom just wanted the damn thing out of the shed :p

Thanks for the offer. But I live in Zeeland (Tholen region), so quite far away.

LOL. I wish I'd been in my father's childhood. Back then the men and boys would just shoot the game (or catch the fish) and their wives or mothers would clean and cook it.

Those were the days then!:)

And that was my first multi quote:cool:

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
Tholen is a bit far for one hare.

I'll be there again in the autumn for field-trials with the dogs.
If I don't forget i'll let you know when and where (should you be interested)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE