Broken knives - What do you do with them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Never broken a fixed blade knife, seen a few Mora's break.
I once broke the blade on a cheap folder , I was meant to make a new blade to fit in the handle but I've misplaced it.
Probably an excuse to buy a better folder, that replacement folder is still going strong 14 years later, it dose pay to buy good stuff!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Never broken a knife either, but when I worked as a butcher the shop would throw out old 12 inch butcher knives when they started to get really ground down. I always thiught they would mks great nessmuks if cut down, but didn't have the skill set at the time.
I did save a fee from the skip that got great use in the garden when ckearing brush and cutting ivy.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
The military chaplains (UK) carry a flag, which has been consecrated, so it can me laid out and used as an alter in the field.
Because of that, they can't just be thrown away when damaged/worn out. So they are hung up in the roofs of churches and left to rot away.

It sounds like our knives are similarly sacred to us.

Apart from cheap muck-metal knives, I can only recall ever breaking a Swiss army knife when I was a kid. And as usual by doing something inappropriate with it.
Though I did break a pair of good wallpaper scissors recently (hmmm, yes I was also doing something similarly silly). I managed to re-weld the break (half way down one blade) and regrind them. Not perfect, but a serviceable repair.

Jules

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE