What torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

I was wondering what torch you think I should get? I don't want to spend loads but I do like surefire torches so could stretch, I need it also to have red filters or for there to be filters made for it. Also does anyone know of good retailers of the surefire torches?

Thanks.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
It's a petzl every time for me (my headtorch 'collection' is almost as large as my knife! :eek: )

The new LED ones are ace - bright enough to see what you are doing and last aaaaaaaages! (you can also get red (and green) filters for most models I beleive

Once you have used a headtorch you will wonder why you ever bothered to put up with a hand out of action!!!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Petzl Tikka Plus everytime! Used mine sooo many times and it's ace. The batteries just refuse to die. Comes complete with built in flip down red filter and four white LEDs. And for abour £30 a bargain! You'll never want a hand held torch again.

Depends what you want it for really, the led ones are superb for close up stuff but just don't have the throw of an incandescant torch. I use a Petzl Zoom and it's a superb piece of kit. Mine is the older Bora model and runs on 4 C size cells on a belt mounted battery pack so run time is superb, however it's just too bright fpor close up work so I have a 2 CR123 cell Nuwai which has a two stage switch on it which makes it great for getting round camp and has that bit extra as well if you need it. As for red filters, I got some red gels (The stuff they use in lighting rigs) and made my own for the Petzl and it just so happens that once you scrape off the printing and pull out the pastic seal from the inside, a bottle top from a 500ml CocaCola bottle makes a superb red filter for the Nuwai and anything else that size, such as the Surefire KL1 head.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Torch, now THAT'S English! heheheh

We call it "flashlight" or a "headlamp". :D

In all seriousness though, go for a Petzl. I have one, been hellishly rough with it, it just doesn't want to break.

Also, I, of the 'old-school' crowd still prefer good old incandesent bulbs. I've never been a fan of LEDs, even if they do have a "150 hour battery life." They just don't do the trick in terms of illumination. (Even when they're grouped in multiples)Halogen is awesome, my headlamp normally runs on incandesent bulbs, with a 30 metre light range. Well, pop a halogen in there, that range is increased to 100 metres. But....it kills my batteries. Oh well, 11 hours from a a battery pack isn't TOO too bad.

My $0.02!

Adam

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Ed W said:
Hi,

I was wondering what torch you think I should get? I don't want to spend loads but I do like surefire torches so could stretch, I need it also to have red filters or for there to be filters made for it. Also does anyone know of good retailers of the surefire torches?

Thanks.

Why not go for a Surefire A2 Aviator with red Leds? That will give you a good high beam with the red low level illumination.

I love torches! :rolleyes:

176298.jpg

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
mojofilter said:
Why not go for a Surefire A2 Aviator with red Leds? That will give you a good high beam with the red low level illumination.

I love torches! :rolleyes:

176298.jpg
That reminds me, I really must get round to taking a picture of all my torches ;)

If I were to recommend a headtorch then it would have to be the Princeton Tec Eos, absolutely brilliant.

For a handheld, like Mojo says, the Surefire A2 sounds ideal if you're after red light. Otherwise the E-series lights are always worth a look and have plenty of accessories. I love all me E-series lights to bits (E1, E1e, E2, E2e plus the LED heads KL1 and KL4. I've recently got a vital gear 1 cell body for my KL1, my new favourite!)

It's early, I'm rambling...

:rolleyes:

Hellz

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Listen Mojo, you can’t just keep posting that picture, wily nily - it hurts me. So many things I covert in one picture!

I’m using satellite triangulation to position your backyard and I’m coming to get one of them, if you don’t stop flaunting them!

;o)

W

WNZer

Torches with filters on them are good as they save your night vision, pupil dialtion..., a softer light will stop that so you dont have to adjust as much

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
If you're going to spend Surefire sort of money [I have several, but not as many as mojo] and it's for bushcrafty activities, can I speak up for the Petzl Myo XP?

I use one, and am quite taken with it.
I wibbled on about it in another place .

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
best value Surefire is the Nitrolon model - $34 (but typically around £28 in UK) uses CR123s which can be ordered from batterystation in USA at $1.25 a piece and ony around $8 postage for up to 40 cells!

the A2 is superb, if i only carry one light it is always the A2, but its relatively expensive.

as for headtorches, sorry if i offend some here but petzel headtorches have been left way behind by the offerings from princton tec etc - as hellz mentioned the EOS is quite superb and is considered by all who have used it to be by far the best 3xAAA headlamp on the market. fantastic vaule at $40, ripoff at £40

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
AJB said:
Listen Mojo, you can’t just keep posting that picture, wily nily - it hurts me. So many things I covert in one picture!

I’m using satellite triangulation to position your backyard and I’m coming to get one of them, if you don’t stop flaunting them!

;o)

Sorry mate, I won't post that one again, but I thought you might like these! :D

183361.jpg

196288.jpg

201928.jpg

201929.jpg

176740.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE