What to salvage off an old bike?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Hello all,

I bought a new bike recently because my old bike was falling to bits (it was a cheapo halfords one I bought 5 years ago. So before I chuck the bike in the scrap metal bin at the dump, what can I salvage from it for use?

So far I have inner tubes for firelighting, brake cable for wire bales and I'm giving the saddle and grips to a friend. Anyone got any ideas?

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
as southey said spokes for pot stand
you can cut a rim in 1/2 or a 1/3 and make a bow for a bow drill set
you can use a rim a fork and a handle bar and make a makeshift b-b hoop
Basketball-hoop-from-bicycle-parts.jpg

candle holder
RecycledCandleHolders.jpg

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I took as many of the spokes for use as I could, I took the handgrips off the bars to cover tool handles as grips, and cut a few lenghths of frame.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
keep the chain and a sprocket or two and get someone to forge you a nice damascus knife, it'd have a lovely story behind it and would be as uniquely yours as is possible.

cheers

stuart

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If your frame is sized right/cut right, you could make your own candle lantern that'll slide inside it's self, Or cadle holders with a reflector/wind shield.what is your frame made from? if steel then you have a supply of metal for anything that you can think up.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Have a search. You can make a wood turning lathe from an old bike and a back wheel. Fairly easy to make apparently. They send them out to the "Thirld World" if its still PC to say that
PM an email address and I can send the 4mb pdf

Last edited:

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Wow, those are some really inventive uses for an old bike! Thanks guys, I'm going to salvage the spokes, cable, inner tube, saddle and grips. I don't really have the space to keep anything large (town house with barely any garden) so I don't think I would really be able to make a turning lathe or anything. I like the idea of using the chain and sprocket to forge a knife. I don't do any forging myself as I don't have the space to do it, but would be nice to have a quote from someone as to how much they would do it for?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could maybe use some 6" sections of the handlebars and the front chainset rings to make a funky little wood burning stove. If it's got brake discs they could be handy too.

Don't forget to raid the other cables from the gearshifters etc

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
You could save the pedals,chain, sprockets and frame and build yourself a nice foot powered grinder or forge blower if you can get an old blower!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE