What to make from an old squirrel coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've been given a 40+ year old red squirrel coat. It's a small ladies coat so doesn't suit me in either respect
Obviously I wouldn't buy a new one but it seems a shame to waste it now
So question is what can I make out of it?
I thought of a double sided Davy Crocket style hat or mittens (not enough for a jacket or trousers etc)
Trouble with the hat is I prefer a peak of some sort to keep the sun out of my eyes. How would a Davy Crocket hat look with a peak?
Anyway thoughts and ideas please?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Seems to me that a Davy Crockett is simply a US version of a Russian Ushanka, and several of those seem to look ok with a peak. Leastways I've got a German police winter hat, which is fake fur with a peak.

Have a look here for ideas and inspiration: http://www.furhatworld.com/winter-hats-c-42.html

Here's one of some random fat bloke in a German Police hat :rolleyes:
16319468582_bbdf204556_b.jpg

UncleGoo

Jun 11, 2009
Connecticut
There used to be a froo-froo tailor around here, who would line Levi Strauss denim jackets with old furs, for the "stylish"...she was a little squirrelly, too.
Wax the denim, might not be a bad mid-season jacket...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Trouble with the hat is I prefer a peak of some sort to keep the sun out of my eyes. How would a Davy Crocket hat look with a peak?
Anyway thoughts and ideas please?

The famous painting of Lewis and Clark (ther guys who surveyed most of the USA hoping to find a water route to the Pacific in 1803-9) shows one of them in a furry hat with a peak ... it looks like a peak is pretty traditional :)

There is also a picture of a fur hat with a peak in the PDF of "How to make Old Time clothes" under the download section on the home page of our very own BcUK site :)

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Well after a good start and then stalling over the summer I finally finished my hat
I took inspiration from a WW2 crusher cap http://online-pilot-shop.aviationdo...sher-cap-winter-od-green-size-us-7-56-cm.html
What do you think?

the coat was so thin I had to back the squirrel with material so I could sew it.
The lining is made from the original lining of the coat
The peak is made with kangaroo leather with a sandwich layer of baseball cap peak cut to a better shape.
then a braid around the edge and an antique finish

It's quite heavy when wet. I soaked it and then wore it until dry to mold it to my head

All hand sewn

Cheers

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
OK so that's a no then!
lol

I reckon you should be rightfully proud ~ and that, if it fits and is comfortable, that you should wear it.

There's a great many things which aren't to my style and/or taste. But that doesn't mean that they're not brilliant things in their own right or that they're not exactly right for others :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE