What To Do With Ducks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
A nice way to cook duck especially wild duck,

Roast the upside down that way the fat reaches the breast and stays very moist and put a couple of satsumas inside and ***** them with a cocktail stick. This will help the juices flow and will stop the bird from getting to fatty as this will help give some extra flavour and break down the fat.

Apart from that cook as normal.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
What does the law say about hunting ducks/geese?

Is it legal to grab them from a local park say???
I have had them feeding out of my hand in the past (especially this time of year) and thinking about how I'd cook them at the same time.

Fast food? Not if I'm faster!!!

NO, im sure someone else on heres got a better grasp on ducky law, they arent really my thing normally, but i know that what your surgesting is most definatley illegal and not very sporting (IMO).

Sam

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
There's not much fat on wild ducks, and not much good meat besides the breast.

Pull the skin off the breast. Cut along both sides of the keel bone and along the ribs. You'll end up with two boneless fillets. Toothpick bacon and jalapeno peppers on top of them and stick them under the broiler.

B

bushboy1

if im in the great outdoors i spit roast them for 2hours/ish

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A nice way to cook duck especially wild duck,

Roast the upside down that way the fat reaches the breast and stays very moist and put a couple of satsumas inside and ***** them with a cocktail stick. This will help the juices flow and will stop the bird from getting to fatty as this will help give some extra flavour and break down the fat.

Apart from that cook as normal.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Cooking it upside down.... what a simple but great idea!

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
NO, im sure someone else on heres got a better grasp on ducky law, they arent really my thing normally, but i know that what your surgesting is most definatley illegal and not very sporting (IMO).

Sam

Apart from location what's the difference between a duck in the park and a duck elsewhere???

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
Another good way for duck which can be done at home with one of those wire racks an a tray to catch the fat or over fire while camping, Cut down either side of the spine all the way up so it can be removed ( you could make a stock with it) now you can spread the duck out flat then stick it in the grill/over the fire cooks more evenly that way an then you can just pick it off the bone an the skins crispy all over, good for shredded duck wraps, those fajitas wrap dont take much space up in your back pack

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Ducks in parks tend to enjoy an audience.:)

Best duck I ever ate came from a country park, where I was a warden (shan't mention the name of the place). Hand fattened by children feeding it with bread. Had my eye on it for some time...............very tasty.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I had duck the other week, tesco bought not caught - well it was reduced in price.

Be careful when oven roasting.

Turning upside down etc all good advice.

If using a tray underneath to catch any fat etc, watch that it doesn't get to smoke point - you'll jump out of your skin when the smoke alarm goes off!!

Par boil some halved/quartered spuds beforehand and then roast them in the tray under the duck on the wire platform.

The one I had was so fatty it was unbeleivable - though it was only £1.20.

You could alternatively halve the ducks, slow roast them and then deep fry them (in a chip pan etc) later.

Then use a fork to scrape the now drier duck meat from the bird and use it in it's shredded state to fill spring rolls etc.

I know I'm a Porridge Wog and we love deep frying food but this tip came from the Chinese community.

Enjoy. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE