What To Do With Ducks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Hi all,

Yesterday i went out to stalk some of the mallard and teal that have taken up residence on one of the wee lochans near our digs. I managed to drop four mallard for four shots, not bad for a rifleman ;) So now im stuck for what to do. We froze two and are going to eat the other two when we get back next week, only thing is i dont really know how to cook them, (dont shoot many = dont cook many) so im looking for your favourite wild duck recipes really, as long as they are pretty simple :)

Thank you

Sam

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Whatever you do, save the fat! Although I don't do the meat/fish thing, some friends swear by using duck fat for cooking, especially roasting potatoes. The French use it for preserving meat too.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I've always just roasted them (not much of a cook, me:lmao:) and yes, make sure you save the fat for roasting your tatties and 'snips. Best spuds I've ever had.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wild ones aren't as fatty as the domesticated, so don't worry too much about that.
If you are going to roast them watch the outsides don't dry out too much, that's why folks draped them with bacon. It's usually just under the skin that's the fatty bits.
HWMBLT doesn't like the skin, gravy, sauces or soup so usually I just strip the bird down to meat.
Sliced thin it flash fries really quickly to go into stir fry, and the grease that does come out works well for frying the onions and garlic to start things off.

If you roast the birds, then break them out into portions, breast, leg, that kind of thing, these can be laid out on a big ashet and spiced with hot paprika and sprinkled with orange juice and some brown sugar. Toast under a hot grill and serve on a bed of rice with veggies at the side. Really only for folk who like eating the meat off the bones though.

cheers,
Toddy

waterman

Nov 1, 2009
twickenham
The quick method is cut along the breastbone to expose the breast flesh, cut breast fillets out.any cooking method works.ready in minutes no plucking gutting and the most useful part of the bird ready for use.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
jab lots of hole through the skin and rub in salt and pepper and i mean shed loads when you think you have enough on it your only half way there then roast it for as long as you can without burning it it strips the fat out and makes it kind of like crispy duck from the chinese
on you let it dry lots too prior to roasting...

was thinking of your post stalking mallards cant you just go to the pond with a loaf and bring them to your hands :-D

Left Turn

Dec 14, 2009
US (northern california)
This should be good with duck. Won't help with cooking the bird, but will be nice along side.

Port reduction
Makes about 1 cup (US cup) (240ml)

1 1/2 cups port
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
minced shallot (a large one - 3 US tablespoons worth)
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
Table salt

Combine all except butter and salt in saucepan, heat at bare simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup.
Take off heat, fish out the thyme stems, and whisk in the butter.
Salt to taste.

Oh, yeah. And Hello! everyone! I'll go post in the introduction section.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
Try stuffing the inside with cheap apples. But you should not eat the apples afterwards. the apples give it a wonderfull flavor. Works well with pheasant too.

now that sounds nice! I like to roast mine, well salted with chopped onions and a bit of oil, basted regularly. I'd imagine a bit of cider splashed on wouldn't harm it, I know it works well for chicken.

p.s. don't waste the skins!! The feathers make great trout flies!

Last edited:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
jab lots of hole through the skin and rub in salt and pepper and i mean shed loads when you think you have enough on it your only half way there then roast it for as long as you can without burning it it strips the fat out and makes it kind of like crispy duck from the chinese
on you let it dry lots too prior to roasting...

That's similar to what I do, but I've only done it with fatty supermarket ducks. I marinade the whole duck in a plastic bag over night with sherry, soy sauce, star anise, ginger, cinnamon, garlic, cloves etc, then slow, low roast as you describe. The meat just falls off the bone, has a lovely flavour, crispy skin and we eat it with hoi sin sauce and pancakes. Lovely. Especially as the other week I got three ducks for 70p each when I just happened to be in Tesco at the right time for the reductions!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There were loads of good ideas there, I'm noting this thread for after the New Year when I suspect there'll be more duck :rolleyes:

Thanks for the recipes folks :D

cheers,
M

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
What does the law say about hunting ducks/geese?

Is it legal to grab them from a local park say???
I have had them feeding out of my hand in the past (especially this time of year) and thinking about how I'd cook them at the same time.

Fast food? Not if I'm faster!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE