Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 litres + & another pan

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
HI all,

Wanted to make a poll to see what size, and which pots, people carried. I ask because I'm thinking of getting a Tatonka kettle and I'm trying to decide which size to get.

The scenario is for a 3-4 day trip, just catering for yourself and perhaps just one other person.

Cheers,
Will

EDIT: I should say that for the purposes of the poll, a billy can with a frying pan lid counts as one pot.
Also the "+ pan" could be a kettle or other implement !

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
0.9 ltr Trangia kettle + Crusader mug

- Sometimes I add a Primus Litech frying pan, but always ended up not using the thing ...
- I've got an SnowPeak 600 mug on order, that I'm going to use when going UL(-ish) / less militairy look

I had a 12cm Zebra, which I sold as it was just to heavy.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have pots from 0.75l to probably 5l and a lot depends on how and what you cook.

For two people with "one pot" meals - say a tin of stew, tin of peas and tin of potatoes, then this would fit into the 1.6l Tatonka pot and still leave you comfortable to stir without slopping the food over the edge of the pot, or being overly concerned about water boiling over. If you use a pot with a pot grab with this size of pot its still easy to end up with the pot grab messed up with the pot contents.

For two of us, we use pots around the 2l mark, and I bought the 2.5l Tatonka + 1.5l teapot for use on an open fire but on a stove tend to use a 1.7l eta heat exchange pot most of the time, but occasionally the 2.1l eta heat exchange pot.

For one person, if trying to minimise bulk, I would look at something just above the 1l ( the 12cm (1.25l) Zebra billy seems a good choice) or for two people (but not ridiculous for one) the 1.6l Tatonka or 14cm (2l) Zebra.

Graham

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Mainly use 120cm zebra billy for lightweight & solo hikes
Also have a 4L Cast iron Dutch oven and a 2L zebra billy for fixed camp, especially when with mates

Will soon remove the bail handle on the small zebra as it gets in the way when packing & i want it to nest within larger pots and hobo stove.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
depends on how big a brew you drink ! I usually take the crusader set up for just a quick bimble but the 12cm zebra for a day out any longer and I'll take a .75Ltr. kettle as well. A few weeks ago I took a mate out and lent him my crusader set when we stopped in the hills for a brew I used a heinz sponge pudding tin hobo and the zebra plus a 250ml. cup and we both had a 1oz. tobacco tin with sterno and x3 solid fuel tablets. I was drinking my brew while he was moaning that I'd got the better burner I pointed out that they were both the same but I'd only put 2 cups of water in mine and he'd filled his with a liter of water and was he going to drink that much ? indeed did he fill the kettle at home to the top ? No was his reply and he poured 500ml. of warm water back into his water bottle and waited for the rest to boil. :D
just thought I'd share cheers Danny

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Mainly use 120cm zebra billy for lightweight & solo hikes

A 1.2M wide billy can on the fire... that is something I would like to see.....
Only joking. I have a 12cm Zebra and they are a good bit of kit for a couple of people.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Something big enough for ratpak boil in the bags, plus a small frying pan does me ...or if super light weight just my Jetboil :)
Boil in the bag rules for light weight traveling.
If going heavy weight then it is - one 2 liter pot, one sub litre pot, one kelly kettle, one Dutch Oven, one cast iron frying pan (small), one bakestone....minimum!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've just done a 3 night, woodland, camp with the kids and brother inlaw. 2 adults & 4 kids.

We took a cast iron griddle and a 16cm Zebra billy. All cooking done on the fire, usually in 2 shifts - kids first then adults.

When solo, I usually take a .9L Ti pot and either a Ti mug or a Crusader mug.

Simon

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I usually take a 1-2 litre pan and my Eagle Products kettle. It's always good to have hot water for a brew AND washing up after the feast!

Depends on the mood I'm in... and when or where I am going.

For two people 4 days, trangia set if no fire allowed (alcy and/or omnifuel)

Or if the other person has one and it is boil in the bag: (steel) crusader mug or the like
With crusader mug maybe a frying pan (depending on food & mood)
or just one 3 liter billy can (lid = frying pan)

Like Mors Kochanski once wrote: you can boil 1 liter in a 3 liter pot, not the other way around.... I know simpless but important when to melt snow etc.

Grtz Johan

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I normally have to do the cooking for everyone. So i got a aluminium pot set. consists of 3 size pans and a kettle. all meshes together. Ideal to make spuds while boiling a kettle and maybe some veg in another pan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE