• Other (please explain!)

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Lately I've been using a Primus Eta Power 1ltr pot (over a Svea 123) more than anything else. Often use a Tran 27 too.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I can manage quite happily with a mini trangia which has a 0.4l pot (IIRC) and a small frying pan.
Quite a good little stove too.

I prefer something a little bigger for normal use though.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
deffo under one litre, no point having any nore for a solo kit. I have a 2 pint alu billy with frying pan lid, sometimes I just use the lid as it is deep and holds 400ml easily on it's own, more like a mug really.

bearbait

I mix and match my MSR Duralite set: two pans and a deep fry pan with a universal lid and pot grab. (From their website looks like they no longer do it - or their marketing folks have changed the name!) It's non-stick and has coped with reasonably careful extended use on both my multi-fuel stove and on open fires - on a rack - admirably. It's not the lightest gear but has been robust enough, amongst other things, to bake pizza and cookies using the Outback Oven. If it wore out or I lost it I'd buy again, or its equivalent.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i use a sweedish army stainless set

i think its around 1.5 litres at a guess, it goes in the fire, over the fire, on the trangia, everywhere,

my mates use lightwieght alu setups, but i cope with the extra weight knowing its much more versatile ,

so its usually me that does the bulk of the brew ups,..

"get 't' kettle on Stu" is a much heard cry around the fire.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I am wondering whether to get this pot as my only pot. What do you think? Its 52g and 400ml (350ml useable). I was thinking that dehydrated packs need 330ml so this would be good enough. It could then be used as a mug once a second batch of water was boiled. Do you think this is too small? We are talking about trying to go as light as possible, I am already in the lightweight category (6.8-9kg or 15-20LB) towarsds the bottom end and trying to become SUL (4.5-6.8kg or 10-15LB). Alien species to some but there are others on here like me.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product513.asp?PageID=100

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I am wondering whether to get this pot as my only pot. What do you think? Its 52g and 400ml (350ml useable). I was thinking that dehydrated packs need 330ml so this would be good enough. It could then be used as a mug once a second batch of water was boiled. Do you think this is too small? We are talking about trying to go as light as possible, I am already in the lightweight category (6.8-9kg or 15-20LB) towarsds the bottom end and trying to become SUL (4.5-6.8kg or 10-15LB). Alien species to some but there are others on here like me.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product513.asp?PageID=100

For that I use a SnowPeak 600 Ti (single wall). It copes with enough water for both a meal (dehydrated; eat from the bag) and a drink all in 1 go. Personally I wouldn't go for anything less. If you have a bigger pot, take it out and mark the 350ml on it and only use that amount. See if it works, if not increase the amount ;) Saves you buying unnecessary kit (read: hassle with the Mrs).

My cook kit consists of Tatonka meths burner - which sits inside a Bushbuddy - which nests in a Tatonka 1 ltr kettle - which in turn nests inside a Tatonka 1.6 ltr kettle. This covers all bases for me - heating options, pots, frying pans etc etc. I also have a Handpresso for making real Espresso coffee and have a small Kuksa for the Espresso and a large Kuksa for Americano.

If I'm with my girlfriend I will also take along an Outwell SS kettle, which hangs over the fire so we always have hot water available.

I recommend the Tatonka kettles - they're not quite as robust as the Zebras but they're not far off. The shape (wider base) suits me better and the lid/ frying pan works very well.

For your needs - you could possibly get away with the 1 ltr if you're on your tod (depends how you eat in the field) but for two I would say definitely go for the 1.6 ltr.

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Will, you saw my pot I used at the bushmoot - you don't need much more than that and a mug for most meals - My pot can't be much bigger than the one you've got from mr fenner - you can still fry up in these silly little things, though a full fry up would be difficult I agree = ) You just gotta think what you're cooking and what you can get away with. My criteria is to make a dinner _and_ a cup of tea.

Don't forget there's no silver bullet - if you're going on a week walking, take as little as possible. If you're going on a few days in the woods, take a billy set.

Boil in the bag you can't go wrong with and not forgetting you can eat them cold if you're desperate! All those I tried out on the bushmoot were very tasty (Though looked awful) and I've since tried the army rat packs - my main issue with those is whilst the dinners are tasty, I hate beans which is all the breakfasts seem to be made up of!

You can also get meals in a can - like chicken in white sauce, various curries, chillis etc. They're all good, though you'll probably need rice which'll dirty your pan requiring washing up and you can't use the water for washing up.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
like every one else it depends msr alpine set when with wife at base camp
french mess kit when out on my own under 1 ltr i think

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE