What should I do with my old Bowie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
I was recently reunited with a Bowie knife that I had 35 years ago, when talking to my brother at Christmas about knives he said he found my old bowie that I had when I was 14, it turned up in a box in his attic. Now I don't what to do with it, should I dismantle and put a new handle on it and a new grind or just try to restore it,
any advise would be very helpful

oldbowie.jpg

Andy woodsman

Sep 15, 2006
Herefordshire
Hi Alan, these are still good knives and I still use mine occasionally - it keeps a good edge, but the handle is a bit skinny. They do sell well as I have seen a few go for £20 - 30 in the local auction room.
Andy

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
Robbi,
Your right, as I read your reply I got a visual image of a time spent in a wood with that knife, But how do I start to restore the knife
Alan.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Personally, I wouldn't do too much to it. I think tools that show they've 'lived' have far more character. A rub over the wood and brass with polishing oil and put a nice edge on it. A bit of leather cream on the sheath and that's all. I never have understood the people that find a nice aged old axe head and grind and polish it till it looks new :( but I appreciate others tastes are different.

Cheers,

Broch

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i reckon Brock is right, clean, polish, oil and sharpen the knife, clean and treat the sheath. Should come up well, just take your time with it.

good luck and let us see the results. :)

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
You could get the wirewool out and give the handle and cross guard a going over then polish the brass and blade and oil the handle. Sheath could do with dyeing and tarting up or make a new one and obviously sharpen it .
I WROTE THIS THE SAME TIME AS THE LAST POSt!!!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I would restore rather than remake.

Though sadly all the old knives Ive found needed remaking

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
Thanks to all for your interest, It seems restoration to be the favored option, but the edge has a very blunt second grind how should I deal with this ?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have one of those, my parents bought it for me in poleperro when I joined the Scouts 300 years ago.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I actually still have mine. I got mine for christmas when I was 14 or 15 (over 3 decades ago), and I still have it. I never use it these days, the handle is not so nice, the blade i carp for "bushcraft" IMNSHO, and most other tasks I can think of. Different sheath can with mine, IIRC, but that gort recycled fast in favour of something else. Used it for a few years, but it has been a drawer queen for decades.

What would that kind of blade be good for? Too pointy for most things, not strong enough for most, anyone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE