What I've made today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Been kind of busy today making stuff and finishing stuff off.

sm-crafts001.JPG

sm-crafts002.JPG

sm-crafts003.JPG

sm-crafts004.JPG

sm-crafts005.JPG

The above are two pairs of Roman cavalry boots for some people at Roma Antiqua. After making them, I got to thinking that they'd make good tracking boots with a thinner sole.

sm-crafts006.JPG

sm-crafts007.JPG

sm-crafts008.JPG

sm-crafts009.JPG

Wooden tankard. Just finished it off so I can sell it.

sm-crafts010.JPG

sm-crafts011.JPG

Same with these two flasks. They are on the classified forum

sm-crafts012.JPG

sm-crafts013.JPG

sm-crafts014.JPG

sm-crafts015.JPG

sm-crafts016.JPG

These are Bulgarian peasant shoes for one of the Euromeet organisers.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
So I am finding out Gary. These and the Caligae are popular. Don't know why other people don't make more shoes. It's not like they are difficult to make or anything.

Eric

Dec 27, 2008
Arizona
Ohh my!! All amazing work, however i really like the Roman Calvary boots. Did you work from an existing pattern, or is the pattern from your own doing?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Ohh my!! All amazing work, however i really like the Roman Calvary boots. Did you work from an existing pattern, or is the pattern from your own doing?

The pattern is my own. However, they are copied from a photo of a statue somewhere in Rome that was provided to me.

Incidentally, they are triple soled as they have metal hobnails to go in them, but the customer does this himself as each man has his own pattern.

Eric

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
if you dont mind me asking... what thinckness of leather, and what kind of leather do you use for those flasks? Also about how much beeswax is needed, as I am looking to making one for myself.

Thanks!

-CS

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I normally use 3-4mm veg tan for my flasks. However, these two were made from thinner suede split. They still stitch well, and form well to shape but they use less wax. They are still rock hard and completely waterproof though. I can't tell you how much wax they use because I have a great big vat of the stuff and I just dip them in until there's no more air bubbles so I then know the wax if impregnated all the way through. It's not possible to measure the exact amount unless I weighed the flask before and then afterward.

Can I ask you why you have a bindrune as your avatar that spells JM or MJ yet you sign yourself CS?

Eric

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
you may. I got the bidrune on this site, like a year ago for my real name, Jace Mullen
CS is for Climberslacker, and I got called CS a lot on another forum, so i just use that online now, mostly :)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
What kind of Viking shoes are you after making Richard? There's plenty websites out there with photos. If you find a photo you like, and email me a drawing of round your foot (on graph paper so I can resize it) I'll make you a template.

Eric

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
that last pair of shoes are amazing! I'd love to see what they look like on, any pics you can direct me to so I can get an idea? :)

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
What kind of Viking shoes are you after making Richard? There's plenty websites out there with photos. If you find a photo you like, and email me a drawing of round your foot (on graph paper so I can resize it) I'll make you a template.

Eric

Thanks Eric I'll have to have a look about for a style I like:rolleyes:

What's best to make them from (thickness wise)?

Regards

Richard

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks Eric I'll have to have a look about for a style I like:rolleyes:

What's best to make them from (thickness wise)?

Regards

Richard

The uppers are best from either 'kip' or 'european buffalo'. I prefer buffalo because it's a lot cheaper and it feels more comfortable to wear. The sole should be 3-4mm shoulder with an extra layer of hard soling leather attached after the shoes are turned.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
that last pair of shoes are amazing! I'd love to see what they look like on, any pics you can direct me to so I can get an idea? :)

Not really, they are based on a pair from a museum. Bulgarians for some reason don't use veg tanned leather any more so nobody makes them like that. All the modern Tsurvali (google image the name for examples) seem to have straps and buckles and are made by machine with rubber soles. Folk dancers buy them.

Anyway, I sent these photos to Iliana, the lady who I made them for and she went crazy with excitement. It seems when the communist government took over, they forced the peasant farmers to wear shoes made in a factory and banned them from wearing these home made shoes as they didn't promote the brand of 'modernism' they were after. Same with traditional veg tanned leather - they made all the leather factories go over to chrome tanning because it was cheaper and more modern and they could make tons of leather in bulk very quickly compared to the time consuming veg tanning. Quality didn't seem important.

Subsequently, people forgot how stuff like this was made - until now. I'm running a leathercraft workshop over there in June, in a place called Bojenci. Everyone attending will be making themselves a pair of Tsurvali, because we are also going to be doing a public re-enactment with a group of local re-enactors who portray Turkish archers. Our group are all bowyers with years of archery experience but very little re-enactment experience. They have years of re-enactment experience but their bows are for show and made from glass fibre covered in cheap leather. We will be having a battle and we expect to trounce them soundly. They wear lots of fine colourful silk outfits that scream 'high status' and would probably have been right for Turks of the period, but their footwear is all ex-military east german army jack boots. Big let down, but they can't get period shoes. I think I may get some orders when they see out Tsurvali.

So, in answer to your question, no, I don't have any images of people wearing them, but I will later on when we've made ours as a group and had our battle. Oh, and the battle will take place in an old Bulgarian castle. We will be shooting from the castle walls, over the river into a field on the other side. Their equivalent of English Heritage has arranged it.

I'll post lots of photos when I get back.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE