Viking Turnshoes & Yew Awl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Could you not just weave all the dreads into two horns?

probably could you know as they are down past my rear

Very nice. I particularly like that awl. The antler piece is very tidy work indeed!

Do you mind me asking how thick, and how soft, the leather is you used for the boots? I have some upholstery leather and I was considering making a pair of plains style moccasins, but I'm worried it's a bit too soft.

I have made a load of these now and find softer the better. I have a pair of suede ones i have been wearing for months and the suede is around 1mm. the sheepskin used for these is around 1mm too. Soft is good as it bends and stretches more to fit your foot. i made some with stiffer leather and they were like wearing cardboard shoes

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I have made a load of these now and find softer the better. I have a pair of suede ones i have been wearing for months and the suede is around 1mm. the sheepskin used for these is around 1mm too. Soft is good as it bends and stretches more to fit your foot. i made some with stiffer leather and they were like wearing cardboard shoes

Thanks, Mate. I was a bit reluctant to start the project for fear of wasting good leather, but if 1mm is thick enough, the stuff I have should do nicely.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
just bear in mind it will still wear quickly depending on how you do the sole. Mocs might be better, as my turnshoes wear along the sides too

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I have some heavier stuff here for the soles that might work well.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
That sheepskin certainly does the job well enough. I bet those shoes are comfortable, more comfortable than stuff you'd buy at 10x the price. Great job, as always, Hamish!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thanks everyone :)

Have been out walking in the shoes they are comfy enough but the left shoe still doesn't sit quite right even after some modifications and im worried about it wearing heavily on one side. Going to have to brainstorm how to fix it without taking it all apart and restitching the whole lot! will stick to my bright red suede ones for now :lmao:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Well mate, its good to see you turn your hands to other goods and different leather work. Top's!!

Cheers
Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE