Viking Turnshoes & Yew Awl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Some more projects to show off today :)

Just finished making my latest pair of viking turnshoes from merino sheepskin uppers with 3.5mm cowside for the sole. Antiqued, edge bound with kidskin, rolled toggles, and hand stitched with artificial sinew.

unfortunatly as you can see in the photos the left shoe doesn't fit too well for some reason so i may have to alter it a little by taking off the hemming round the top and cutting a little sheepskin away and re-hemming so that the leather gathers better. nightmare! for now these will be kept for doing fairs and such, and i will use my first pair (made from bright red suede) as my everyday shoes as have been wearing them 24/7 for months and they are still going strong

qdlz.jpg

ww4c.jpg

together with some of my other sheepskin stuff

o6hc.jpg

I also made myself a new awl the other day. I used the same peice of yew that was used for my scandi knife so they match. I turned the handle on a lathe, and took Waylands advice and used antler as an end cap/ferrule fitted over the wood to stop it splitting. Complete with a little sheath to keep it safe im dead chuffed with it

wt0h.jpg

7fd7.jpg

yiuw.jpg

And all my viking stuff together. Which picture do you think is best?

group 1

4ar6.jpg

Group 2

2tmd.jpg

Group 3

mvof.jpg

that's all for now, thanks for looking

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's brilliant work. I love the grain on that awl !

Group 1 is the best in my opinion.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It's a real shame you're about to go off travelling; I'd commission a pair of those shoes off you today!

I like pic 1 the best.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Fabulous work, Hamish; they're all really good but I have to pick the awl as particularly stunning..............It'd be pic. 3 for me as you can see more of the detail in the individual pieces............atb mac

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Great pics of your handiwork. Nice vibrant looking stuff, although it appears you forgot the mandatory 'helmet with horns'... :viking::)
Cheers
Alex

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
theyre awesome mate i love the pattern on the sword scabbard it looks very traditional, great work as always!

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Very nice. I particularly like that awl. The antler piece is very tidy work indeed!

Do you mind me asking how thick, and how soft, the leather is you used for the boots? I have some upholstery leather and I was considering making a pair of plains style moccasins, but I'm worried it's a bit too soft.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats a very nice kit you have there, I must get down to doing my bits I keep saying I am going to make...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE