What is this?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This strange looking ooze is coming from a sycamore tree and I assume it is something to do with the sap dripping out of severed branches.
The ooze is like a stalagmite, with sap running off the underside, but is of a rubbery concistancy - the colours are wierd - bright orange and white with the orange seeming older than the white.
The sap is dripping off every couple of seconds.
Beats me!
Mar05765.jpg
Mar05764.jpg

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
You've discovered a primordial goo!! New life!!! Harvest it and you can be a GOD when it eventually evolves in a few millenia!!

So, no! I have no idea what it is!

Dr O

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
This strange looking ooze is coming from a sycamore tree and I assume it is something to do with the sap dripping out of severed branches.
The ooze is like a stalagmite, with sap running off the underside, but is of a rubbery concistancy - the colours are wierd - bright orange and white with the orange seeming older than the white.
The sap is dripping off every couple of seconds.
Beats me!

It looks like some kind of bacterial canker, the canker can turn the sap of some trees, all shades from blood red to tar.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Many years ago (and I do mean many), I worked for a Wildlife trust and the conservation officer painted sycamore stumps witha "topical herbicide", the results look very similiar! Not sure it was totally legal even then!
My ..she did hate sycamore with a vengeance!:eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You've discovered a primordial goo!! New life!!! Harvest it and you can be a GOD when it eventually evolves in a few millenia!!

So, no! I have no idea what it is!

Dr O

What do you mean "can be.... eventually" ask the girls around here - I AM a GOD already (or am I going dyslexic?):cool: :D

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Maybe it`s some of jelly fungi.They are very diverse in shape(shapeless?) and colors.Try with magnifying glass.Dripping is maybe only sap from wound,springtime is here,vegetation is on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE