what is the world comming to?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

5.10leader

On the subject of camping, we found a pleasant site this summer in Pembrokeshire.

It's only a small site with ten pitches, the main attraction being that wood fires are, not only allowed, but encouraged.

When we visited there was a complete cross section of campers from the fully equipped campers, who spent, in my opinion, too long making themselves comfortable to enjoy the experience, to those with a more minimalist approach.

The site is a Ty Parke Farm on the outskirts of St. Davids. Its not particularly cheap but for those interested the web address is:-

http://www.typarke.co.uk

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
HEY! come on nothing wrong with the hairdryer.Seriously i hav`nt laughed so hard for a long time ,came just at the right time.It just shows what a great family you have,enjoying each other without the added goodies,next year they might even enjoy a trip in the woods,with nothing.Great one,i`m still chuckling.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Some people do make me smile at times when camping, if it's what they want on their holiday then it's their choice. I'm happy and comfortable with little more than a tarp/stove/knife/axe..........however, the wife will not do tents.....which is why we have the caravan.........

Often I am camping with club members and "additional extra's" can be "impressive"!

An extra fridge for the beer, guitar amp, satelite systems etc,etc......
On one occasion the 36" plasma screen tv blew up due to incompatability with the voltage supplied from the 2.5kw ex army generator!

Last week I met a father and young son from Denmark who were comfortably sleeping in a landrover 90, which takes quite some inguinuity!

I do think that many get the wrong idea of camping but that's really not their fault, it's a symptom of the modern consummer society.

Likely as not they are only camping one forthnight a year, if they camped regularly they would soon "ammend" their kit to make it an "overall" more pleasurable experience, and maybe stay away from sites with everything "laid on".

Smoggy.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
Those that have described what they take on their minimal exteme bushcraft survival expeditions, still sounds better than a travel lodge. I'd rather set up a tent in the travel lodge room ...

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Those that have described what they take on their minimal exteme bushcraft survival expeditions, still sounds better than a travel lodge. I'd rather set up a tent in the travel lodge room ...

HERE! HERE!
.................................................................................
HE HAS NOYHING HAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT?

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
I can't help but feel sometimes people camping with everything but the kitchen sink (and sometimes they've brought that as well !) have rather missed the point of camping. Yes i'd have to agree that whilst any fool can be uncomfortable, that doesn't mean you need to trawl 2 cars with you to be comfortable.
I've always thought if you need all that stuff to be comfortable, why not stay in a static caravan?
I myself don't have kids so can't really imagine what it's like having to look after them. But i remember when I used to camp with my parents we never needed a fridge as we would walk into the local village in the morning for the milk for breakfast, same for evening tea and we used to be out and about during the day.

But i suppose it's horses for courses, if folk are happy to lug all the gear around let them to it :) i'll stick with my hammock for now

H

He' s left the building

This is probably going to rock the boat a little, but I think there are some people on this forum who claim to be able to live in the woods with 'just a knife and a billy can' who have never actually tried to do exactly that!

Going into the woods for 2-3 hours and lighting a fire, getting comfy, having a brew and carving a spoon and then going back home is not the same as spending days and nights in the woods.

I can guarantee that if some of us spend 24-48hrs outdoors we would go home with hayfever, bites, burns, scratches, slugs in our hair, etc and looking and feeling wrecked from lack of sleep (maybe not slugs in my hair as I'm almost a baldie!)

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not comfortable with the attitude of 'look at all these foolish people in their tents and electrical hook-ups, etc, etc, don't they know all I need to survive is a baccy tin and a knife' and I think its time to leave it out: it's not accurate and it's disrespectful to others.

Just my opinion! :)

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
One should remember the majority of people who go camping do so because it is cheap, not because they want to sleep on a hard floor and freeze to death. I personally prefer my motorhome to camping these days but that does not stop me enjoying other aspects of bushcraft/hunting/fishing

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I've just come back from a weekend camping at the CLA, we had a few showers but the weather was pretty ok, I got wifey and three teenage kids plus dog and all gear in the Disco, a couple of pitches down from us there was a couple on their own that needed a trailer to bring all their kit, when they started pitching their tent etc we thought they were expecting a large party

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
This is probably going to rock the boat a little, but I think there are some people on this forum who claim to be able to live in the woods with 'just a knife and a billy can' who have never actually tried to do exactly that!

Going into the woods for 2-3 hours and lighting a fire, getting comfy, having a brew and carving a spoon and then going back home is not the same as spending days and nights in the woods.

I can guarantee that if some of us spend 24-48hrs outdoors we would go home with hayfever, bites, burns, scratches, slugs in our hair, etc and looking and feeling wrecked from lack of sleep (maybe not slugs in my hair as I'm almost a baldie!)

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not comfortable with the attitude of 'look at all these foolish people in their tents and electrical hook-ups, etc, etc, don't they know all I need to survive is a baccy tin and a knife' and I think its time to leave it out: it's not accurate and it's disrespectful to others.

I agree Boops...........me old cock sparrow.
People are perfectly entitled to do as they wish. Go hardcore, or bring the mother in law an 'all. Each to their own I say.
:240:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, i'll be there with my big tent and my tarps, my chairs and my lamp and a cooler..I'm there with the family and we're all busy doing things. Sometimes it's nice to go camping, especially if you've got a family and you want to focus on them and not getting water, chopping wood etc etc.

to be honest i think there's a lot of people on here that could do 48 hours, i think a week plus would push people, it would me depending on what i've got with me, what time of year it is, environmental conditions, who i'm with etc.

Good on those that camp I say, it's better than staying stuck at home. I do think they still need respect for the outdoors, not to leave litter, not to burn the ground etc etc

I think bushcraft skills help with camping and there's overlap.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
When my family of four go camping we take a trailer and roof box to carry all our kit.
8 berth,3 bedroom tent
fridge
wadrobe
table and four chairs
two seater setee
electric kettle
toaste
carpet(wall to wall)
cookstand
double burner and grill stove
flatscreen tv
playstation
digibox
toilet and toilet tent
radio
lights.
This I feel is not excessive for a comfortable family camping trip.
When I go on my own I take
tarp
hammock rollmat
trangia
camelbak
dossbag
and general bits and bobs.
I am comfortable whichever style I use.

xylaria

Me and the kids camped out last weekend with about 120lts between the three of us. I don't think i am better or worse person for doing so. We do what I call kitchen sink camping where we bring everything. i have never had an eletric hook up, I have no need, but then I can light a fire with a hangover, i don't have bottle fed baby or special needs child that would knock over a stove. It horses for courses. Camping with family is far harder than camping on your own, I don't wake up crying in the night because my fluffy elephant was left at home, or whinge about noodles and dried fruit for breakfast.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
From all the above posts one thing is being made very clear.We all do what we need to be comfortable,and we are all happy with what we do.
How long before the first post telling us all we're doing it wrong/

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I think we've all got the wrong end of the stick with the "camping" word.

It's about travelling. Nomadic people have to keep their camping stuff within limits - the limits being set by how often they have to up sticks and move on and what means they have for transporting the equipment.

I am reading the "The Forest People" by Colin M. Turnbull written in the late 1950's. An excellent book.

It's about the pygmies in the forests of the congo. They are totally at home in the forest.

In some of the photos of them in their camp they have deckchairs (which they've got from somewhere).

They'll probably leave them behind when they move on. Or maybe not. Whether they do or not is decided by whether it is worthwhile carrying them etc. But certainly not by any complex about what's "right" for camping.

What I disapprove of, however, is the use of cars - I'd like to keep some areas car free and hence stop places being over-run. One should be able to walk the last five or ten miles...

Reinhardt Messner, the first man to climb Everest without oxygen cylinders, with regard to the Alps, said nobody should be able to get up the mountains except under their own steam. because ski-lifts - which are for skiiers who will be going back down the mountains, were being used by people who wanted to walk in the mountains, but didn't have the condition or know-how to do it.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
From all the above posts one thing is being made very clear.We all do what we need to be comfortable,and we are all happy with what we do.
How long before the first post telling us all we're doing it wrong/

Wouldn't that be the original post who looked down disapprovingly on what people do for their own enjoyment?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Well said, some here do talk a lot of blue locks at times. Good post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE