What is the best bushcrafting dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Lurchers are the ultimate in poachers dogs. They were the common man's way to own a greyhound without contravening the law of the land that said only nobles could own them. That was punishable with death BTW.

The lurcher is a cross animal which means it is likely to be healthier and longer lived than a pure bred. A typical life expectancy is 14-16 years and 20 years plus is not uncommon. Why is this important? Well you train a dog to help in a hunt you want to have as long as possible use of that trained skill don't you?

Lurchers are fast, good for the kill, they have good instincts (mostly) good for the killl, they were traditionally bred for intelligence as poachers would leave them with a down command when the game keeper turned up. The dog would stay in the undergrowth for hours out of sight and on its own before the poacher came back for it. They often have a hardy coat (rough coated or partly rough coated are best, think the shaggy dog look such as the lighthouse keeper's dog in Fraggle Rock) this is good for undergrowth and weather whereas a greyhound would rip its skin.

AS far as what the lurcher could get, well lets just say rabbits are an obvious one. Another animal a lurcher can get is deer. Don't ask me how I know, ok a relative had a lurcher in a well known southern national park with very medieval laws. It used to barrel into deer and knock em over. A second dog was usually close enough to make the kill. That is why you should have two dogs and why you should never own a lurcher with very strong chase instincts in the New Forest as it can not always be trained out of it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Of course my other choice would be a terrier. Which one? Well whichever is closest to the original country dog type. That would be Patterdale and Lakeland terriers, however My grandparents had a JRT so I'd definately go for one of them. I have known Patterdales with incredible hunt instincts before now also JRTs because that was breds into them by Parson Russel. He bred them to follow the hounds as he was a very keen hunstman in his day. The original dog was long legged and ran with the hounds all day then could go to ground to fight and chase the fox out. To put it this way the fox would rather face the hounds than a JRT in its tunnel. That says a lot about how tough a JRT can be. I prefer the longer legged variety myself however the short legged one makes the better ratter. Of course which would you prefer to eat a rat or rabbit.

I know someone who took on a rescue JRT. The poor thing was so badlly treated (part of a cruelty case resulting in jail time for the offender) it could not see straight and was terrified of everyone until trust was gained. Fortunately I got its trust in a few hours and it was a loving dog. It would walk into door frames because it saw everything a foot or so to one side. IT also hid behind curtains at first as it was scared of us. Anyway despite all that cruelty and suffering and brain damage and diability the dog was a demon in the undergrowth down by the river. It was really good at following the scent of rats and rabbits. Its JRT instincts were so strong it could still operate as a terrier despite itsa damage.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
To sum up my comments I would get a rescue lurcher and a rescue JRT if I could keep a dog or two. I'd get two because they could be worked together (lurcher takes down and the JRT's killer instinct would finish off the deer or whatever IF (and a big if) the lurcher didn't. Plus you had two different hunting opportunities. Plus you had two dogs renowned for their loyalty and bravery.. Of the twoI'd say the lurcher is more trainable and biddable, the JRT needs a firm hand and preferably someone with terrier experience as they are so independant when they want to be. Tha is why if its just one dog then the lurcher has to be it.

With unlimited money and the lifestyle and property to cope with it I'd of course get an Irish Wolfhound. I have too much of a soft spot for them not for the reasons this post was started of course (for that the JRT and lurcher). I think they are a beautiful dog IMHO. Plus as a lanky streak of...IT is probably one of the few dogs that match my stature. I once told the ppl at work I nearly got a JRT (a small, short legged one) and they all laughed. They said I'd look silly with such a small dog.

BTW if anyone is thinking of getting a dog can I recommend going to lurcher link website. They are an organisation (voluntraily run by people pasionate about lurchers and greys who do it as well as working) who act as a kind of dating service between those looking for a lurcher or even a grey but don;t live near a resuce that has them. They alos travel the country to save lurchers from being PTS (put to sleep). They find foster homes rather than use rescues and also transport, through volunteers and requests for help on their forum, rescue dogs from one end of the country to another to be re-homed. They also link to other lurcher rescue organisations and centres that often deal with lurchers. Sadly people think lurchers and greyhounds are too much like hard work. Greys are known as the worlds fastest couch potato and lurchers do generally have stamina (depends on their crosses of course) but are equally happy with a shorter run out. You do need to give them off the lead time to stretch their legs but you need good recall for that.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know a collie that howls whenever someone in the group re-joins the group. I walk in a group and often get lost off the front of it on walks so it first of all treast me as a threat and barks then it starts howling. I guess that is the wolf in it accepting a long missed member back into the pack. I guess I should be honoured that it sees me as one of its pack since I don't see it much. Dogs! They have good memory for their family and friends.

BTW I'd love a dog but it is unfair at the moment to have one. Lurcher first, then JRT for me, and the same for a bushcrafting dog.

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Guess that counts mine out, never known a dog with such bad flatulence. Barks at a gnats fart too, noisy sod!

The day we picked them up (Meg & Stewie)

MegStewie.jpg

Nearly 7 months old now

011-3.jpg

Al, Meg & Stewie

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hi,Wot breed of dog have you got there?The one in the bottom of the picture is very similar to my dog who is is a chocolate lab cross with a collie :)

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Of course my other choice would be a terrier. Which one? Well whichever is closest to the original country dog type. That would be Patterdale terriers

Meet Peg the Patterdale
Body of a wiry terrier, long legs of a whippet. Incredibly fast and totally fearless.
peg2.jpg

peg6-0906.jpg

In that second photo (this year) she is 16 years old. She used to be matt black all over and impossible to photograph.

Rod

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Someone on here liked Grt Danes. I saw one at a pub in the Lakes. A bitch IIRC. She was tied to a picknic style table and bench not that that would stop her. A staffie came along and all the calm and quiet dogs outside that pub suddenly went off barking. Seems they don't like staffies. Anyhow. The Dane stood up (eye to eye with me when I was sitting up straight next to it BTW) took a couple of steps towards the other dogs and gave one loud and low bark. Needless to say all the other dogs shut up and sat down sweet as pie. I know who was top dog in that pub beer garden. That's right the female owner of the Grt Dane as she had complete control over it. Absolutely amazing how a good dog owner has asserted her dominance over such a huge and powerful beast. Good puppy training really paid off. It was also amazing how she held sway over her partner. :D

Whatever dog you do own and take out into the great outdoors you have to train them. IMHO anyone who has a dog and doesn't have control over them when needed is irresponsible. I'm not talking about the odd disobedience but ppl who let the dog rule them or who just don't care and just let the dog run where it wants to. A dog should be allowed to run free but the owner needs to be able to recall it and control it.

Farting dogs reminds me of a mates dog who would hoover up anything dropped by the group of walkers. One day I joined them and had a big widemouth food flask full of a vegetabgle soup/stew. Since it was so thick and I had forgotten something to eat it with I suck what I could up then poured it out on the ground. The dog (small terrier) ate it up with gusto. A few years later I found out that the owners had driven home with all the windows of their van open and the blowers on all down the motorway due to the effects of the vegetables on the dog. It was a very cold february and was late on so the temperature must have been about -3 or 4C without the windchill effect caused by a 70mph plus wind through the windows. Seriously good idea to leave your farting dogs at home. or at least in a separate tarp or tent porch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE