What is the best bushcrafting dog?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I'm not sure if this is the right place but I didn't want to offend anyone and put this in the kit chatter section..lol!
So what do you find to be the best bushcrafting dog?
I like Terriers but they tend to wander but can get you a meal!
Labs seem to be the best companions but are very big!
Spaniels look good because they are gun dogs and always stay with you!
What do you guys like? What do you have experience with?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'm not sure if this is the right place but I didn't want to offend anyone and put this in the kit chatter section..lol!
So what do you find to be the best bushcrafting dog?
I like Terriers but they tend to wander but can get you a meal!
Labs seem to be the best companions but are very big!
Spaniels look good because they are gun dogs and always stay with you!
What do you guys like? What do you have experience with?

The best bushcrafters dog is like the best bushcrafters knife,:cool:

It’s the one you have with you at the time:rolleyes:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I believe the Australian Aboriginals have an expression - 'a two dog night', ie one when it's cold enough to need to two dogs to keep warm rather than just one. Maybe this should be about the best bushcrafting dogs?

:)

dunno if my dog counts as the best bushcrafting dog-she's a lancashire heeler/chihuahua mix.
she has to stay on lead when we are out as she hasnt worked out me shouting come back refers to her. however she is very good at being a little furry hot water bottle. And she is small enough to put in my rucksack if i wear her out ( a very rare occourance)
she is terrible at fire lighting tho!!
labradors seem to be quite popular if only cause they are capable of carrying thier own kit and seem quite friendly.
regards
Sam

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
big fan of Labs because a) they'll do anything for food, b) they tend not to shout unnecessarily in the night when you're out camping, and c) the relatively short hair doesn't leave them all damp and horrid when being used as hot water bottles.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I believe the Australian Aboriginals have an expression - 'a two dog night', ie one when it's cold enough to need to two dogs to keep warm rather than just one. Maybe this should be about the best bushcrafting dogs?

I've heard similar too, but thought it was Alaskan or Inuit expression.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'm tempted to say the one that is most likely to add to the cooking pot and that my experience suggests would make that a lurcher comprising plenty of Saluki.

Probably not a terribly PC suggestion given the unfortunate association the so-called "long dog" has with a certain 'Minority' throughout this Isle but definitely what you need if your Sunday backwoods adventure turned into something other than a few hours escape from the mundane.

Well, at least until the mutt brakes a leg!

Be warned though there is a strong gene within the Saluki that makes it difficult to break the habit of killing livestock - the same one, I suggest, that will see them track and kill a hare even when they cannot catch it in classic coursing mode and where a greyhound or greyhound cross would simply collapse in a furrow exhausted.

Cheers

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I have a lab/collie cross and he is a great bush dog,he is only a small to medium size dog so he done take up to much room in the hammock(like a radiator in the winter).He never leaves my side and is good for bringing back fire wood,the only thing is he likes to drink alot so i have to carry more water but i am looking at getting him his own backpack so he can carry his own water and maybe my beer too lol !!

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Speaking of which, I've never shared a hammock with my dog (she's very happy in a tipi though). Has anyone had problems with dogs' nails damaging hammocks or sleeping bags?

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Not mine! (She's a Doberman.)

Interestingly she likes to eat blackberries. I was out picking them and she was poking about in the undergrowth, as dogs do, and I thought nothing of it. Then I noticed she was biting the berries off the bottom branches and eating them quite enthusiastically. I had no idea that she would like them.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
My two labs are blackberry fans. Mind you, they're also worm fans, horse poo fans, pheasant carcass fans and elastic band fans, so I wouldn't read too much into that...

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
A lot of people are saying Jack Russel and I would have to agree with them,I have one and he is a pure bread tri-colour and is such a useful dog!He is super energetic loves to hunt and is like a little hot rock!
And also one of the main things about them is that they're very independent dogs and can defend themselves in an attack.My aunt's rottweiler once attacked my Jack Russel and tried to bite him but my dog dodged it and grabbed the rottweilers neck and the rottweiler couldn't get at him,we had to wedge a foot in my dogs jaw to make him let go,fortunately he didn't pierce the skin.They are so well tempered unless their life is threatened!

Stupot

Oct 31, 2007
Harrogate
My border collie all the way, as inquisitive as he is, as soon as the word is said hes back by my side. And he can sniff out wood sorrel for a quick snack!

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE