What is the Best best Bushcraft Hammock for the heavier chap (circa 120kg)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gentlemanc

Aug 24, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
I have a fantastically strong hammock (actually 2 person) but it was reasonably priced and made by the WELHUNGHAMMOCK company. Since then there now seems to be a huge array of camping hammocks with integrated mozi nets and pockets etc. Only I cannot pop to the local hammock emporium and eyeball one and really get the confidence that it is well made and will hold the advertised 150kg. Does anyone who, like me can never get anything in my size, that can make a tested recommendation of a solid built bit of kit with the integrated mozi net etc??? I have been looking at DD, TW, Mosquito, Snugpack to name the current front runners. Your thoughts??

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
A DD hammock will be fine for you. I have the camping hammock. It takes my slender (18st). Both swmbo and I have used it as a hammock chair at the same time. They're tough as old boots.

touched by his noodly appendage

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could try Mat at UKHammocks, he's made a few for the larger gentleman

No connection just a happy customer

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I have a dd hammock but at the moment i cant tell you which one apart from its about 5 years old now
Ive had myself the two kids and the dog swing in it at the same time and its held up fine

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have both the DD hammocks, Travel and the Frontline, I am 6' with a chest measurement of 50", and have come down to 17 1/2 stone from about 19 over the last year, and have had no trouble with the DD's,

One thing I will advise is that you DO think about the whoopie slings, I have just got some and not only are they quick and easy to adjust, the Black webbing that comes with the hammock seems to always stretch with my weight, so I dived in and brought a set, Now i set my hammock at the height i want it and its there in the morning, I used to have to set the hammock high to allow for stretch or I would be on the floor a few hrs later.

And as for customer service I cant fault DD at all, for example I purchased the whoppie sling set, it arrived the next day, that weekend they were being used, i did have an issue with damage to the Tree Huggers in the set after hanging for two nights, they also damaged the tree... I normally use my home made HUggers but for the cost of the set thought i would just buy a set as they were in the kit and I also needed two Krabs as well, I emailed Nick at DD with Images, within 8 working hours had an email back saying that they have not had the trouble reported with the new type Huggers they are now selling, and they would send a replacement set, and gave me a choice of a newer style or older style the next day..... cant beat that for service.
I am a very happy DD customer.

The only over Advice I can give you is go to a meet, try a few hammocks, for size

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Worth looking at UKHammocks too.

If you want to go to the expense there are also the US brands. I have a Hennessy Deep Jungle and am pleased with that you could go for something like a Explorer Deluxe.

I've had an eye on the Warbonnet Blackbird - for you the 1.7 Double would be more than enough... Plus they sell them at UKHammocks so no customs lottery.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I completely agree with Stu about customer service, they are a pleasure to deal with, even helped me with making my own underquilt so doing themselves out of money :cool:. The DD travel seems very well made, not used in anger yet but am pleased with it. Whoopie slings - yes! But I had terrible trouble understanding them at first :rolleyes:, even Penny at DD says they're just not intuitive but very worthwhile once you get the "hang". DD vid (by Northwest Bushcraft) on whoopies worth watching.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
well ime 23st ,i bought a custom uk hammocks woodsman x double 1.7 ripstop rated at 30stone + only a tenner more than the regular woodsman x . ive slept in it with one of my kids too no problems at all.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I did it and am now the proud owner of a very fine looking DD hammock now I need to get my suspension system cracked and get out in the woods!! Thanks for the advice.

good news there, you'll love swinging, lol. I would go for the whoopie system.... no droop dring the night.

Nov 30, 2012
Lincoln
I have both the DD hammocks, Travel and the Frontline, I am 6' with a chest measurement of 50", and have come down to 17 1/2 stone from about 19 over the last year, and have had no trouble with the DD's,

One thing I will advise is that you DO think about the whoopie slings, I have just got some and not only are they quick and easy to adjust, the Black webbing that comes with the hammock seems to always stretch with my weight, so I dived in and brought a set, Now i set my hammock at the height i want it and its there in the morning, I used to have to set the hammock high to allow for stretch or I would be on the floor a few hrs later.

And as for customer service I cant fault DD at all, for example I purchased the whoppie sling set, it arrived the next day, that weekend they were being used, i did have an issue with damage to the Tree Huggers in the set after hanging for two nights, they also damaged the tree... I normally use my home made HUggers but for the cost of the set thought i would just buy a set as they were in the kit and I also needed two Krabs as well, I emailed Nick at DD with Images, within 8 working hours had an email back saying that they have not had the trouble reported with the new type Huggers they are now selling, and they would send a replacement set, and gave me a choice of a newer style or older style the next day..... cant beat that for service.
I am a very happy DD customer.

The only over Advice I can give you is go to a meet, try a few hammocks, for size

I cant agree with this more. I have the DD Frontline and have no quarms what so ever. I takes my slender 19 1/2 stone self no problems and I am also a covert to woopie strings and tree huggers. You would never think to look at woopie slings that they could hold anywhere near bodyweight but trust me they can take more than you can get in that hammock.

Again the service at DD is amazing. I placed my order via phone as I wanted to discuss a few things (inc my military discountof 10%) and they couldn't be more helpful. I would recomend the frontline or the travel but because the travel has a waterproof underlayer there has been some issues with pooling of condensation .

Hope this helps

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Personally I can't rate UKHammocks highly enough! Very friendly good comms and excellent service plus he does Warbonnet hammocks to!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE