What is the best bushcraft chair?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Less is more. I guess this keeps you as close as possible to nature. Thanks for your input.
It just depends on how wet, soggy or cold the ground is :) For most stationary bushcraft activities, I guess you'd pick the driest spot possible at least if you think you'll be there for a while, so less of a concern then, although you still want to keep yourself from getting too chilled.

Another aspect is the safety aspect. Sitting down might not be the best thing when handling fire or boiling water, whereas sitting on something low protects you a bit more and will often make it easier to get up and away quickly.

I can really see the appeal of making a proper chair out of what you find in nature and often they are really good looking as well as nifty, but personally I am rarely somewhere where I feel it's right to start sawing up bits of branches/logs etc to make something elaborate. If I had a woodland site of my own, I would probably feel very different about it, but at the moment, I just use what's there and try to make as little changes as possible.

Reactions: Nordic Welshman

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I thing it would be a good idea to put a bench in between two mid sized trees if possible. That thing would be done relatively fast.

May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
It just depends on how wet, soggy or cold the ground is :) For most stationary bushcraft activities, I guess you'd pick the driest spot possible at least if you think you'll be there for a while, so less of a concern then, although you still want to keep yourself from getting too chilled.

Another aspect is the safety aspect. Sitting down might not be the best thing when handling fire or boiling water, whereas sitting on something low protects you a bit more and will often make it easier to get up and away quickly.

I can really see the appeal of making a proper chair out of what you find in nature and often they are really good looking as well as nifty, but personally I am rarely somewhere where I feel it's right to start sawing up bits of branches/logs etc to make something elaborate. If I had a woodland site of my own, I would probably feel very different about it, but at the moment, I just use what's there and try to make as little changes as possible.

I agree, being up off the ground helps to keep dry and warm. The environment determines the need I guess.

Leave no trace in nature is a good rule to live by and I apply this also when I do not own the land.

It's very interesting to hear your take and perspective. Thank you.

May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
I thing it would be a good idea to put a bench in between two mid sized trees if possible. That thing would be done relatively fast.

Nice Idea. This would work well for a large group or a place to prepare food. Might have to give that a go.

The problem I find with using trees is that it's best not to start a fire at the base of one. This means unless you keep a very large fire away from the tree you cant feel the heat from it while sat down. This might be ok if fire is not needed, but when it is, I always find myself looking for a place to sit close by the fire for cooking and warmth.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I sewed up some ripstop nylon from ebay and lashed up the hazel frame on the left, quite comfortable if you get the height right so the horizontal pole doesn't cut off circulation to your legs !

Made two of the right hand chair from hazel coppice, took some time to make it sturdy so they will hopefully last a while, and these are surprisingly comfortable too :)

20180321_145433.jpg20190423_115812.jpg

May 9, 2020
Wales
nordicwelshman.com
I sewed up some ripstop nylon from ebay and lashed up the hazel frame on the left, quite comfortable if you get the height right so the horizontal pole doesn't cut off circulation to your legs !

Made two of the right hand chair from hazel coppice, took some time to make it sturdy so they will hopefully last a while, and these are surprisingly comfortable too :)

View attachment 59081View attachment 59082
The one on the left I would like to try next, thanks for the advice about hight. I was thinking to get an old potato sack, but ripstop would be lighter to carry and smaller in the pack. Thank you for the inspiration.

The one on the right is a similar design to the one I made in the original post. Only yours is waaaay nicer and more precise! Very nice work on that. I like the little table too.

Reactions: Paulm

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
I’m a fan of the Avid chair I bought a few years ago. Light enough to carry, low enough to muck about with the fire or cooking.

I have the same chair it is perfect for me when I go fishing on my trike. In terms of camps I have a fold away lightweight chair from Aldi a fraction of the cost of other named brands. The chair fits easily into the front storage trunk of my vehicle I used it at the winter moot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE