What is for Dinner tonight...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Half a dozen garlic pork sausages, each cut into 6 pieces. Get them going in a big pan.
Later on, cut, core and chop 2 or 3 big Granny Smith apples. Toss them with 2 tsp cinnamon.
As the sausages finish, add and stir-fry the apple to al dente'.
Quinoa for total carb and a radicchio salad with mustard dressing.
Quick and easy.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Back in civilization again. Given the weather I opted to do a simple cherry Wood smoked Scottish Loch trout, and then tuna steaks brined in vodka, salt, and brown sugar, then also smoked over cherry Wood. Then avacado, new potatoes, hard boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, butter leaf salad, watercress, and French dressing. I've decided that smoking tuna is a bit of a waste of money. Such a delicate flavour that it comes out tasting more of smoke than anything.

20170622_190459.jpg

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I love cooking for my parents. Its pretty much carte blanche.

And that sounds good to me. Liquid bread instantly made me think of this
[video=youtube_share;K4UDT_vRKGI]https://youtu.be/K4UDT_vRKGI[/video]

If you're into a lot of swearing and stupidity and vulgarity then I think trailer park boys is on Netflix. Always gives me a laugh, but then I'm someone who loves South Park style humour.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yum! I have not had snails for decades.

Years ago, I set a New Year's Resolution for what I eat in pubs, cafe's etc.
Too messy, too complicated/tedious or too stinky to do in my own kitchen.
Plan A: see if the local pub has Calimari.
Plan B: stay home for pizza & beer.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
XxRobson Valley;1818747]Yum! I have not had snails for decades.

Years ago, I set a New Year's Resolution for what I eat in pubs, cafe's etc.
Too messy, too complicated/tedious or too stinky to do in my own kitchen.
Plan A: see if the local pub has Calimari.
Plan B: stay home for pizza & beer.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Last night was Top Round seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic then fried to medium well in bacon fat and worcestershire sauce added while it rested. Sides were seasoned smoked vegetable medley (Yellow Squash, Red Onions, Bell peppers) and Corn on the cob.

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
That sounds like a pretty good meal :)

And my general rule for eating out, is not to have anything that I can't make myself. Being a former chef, and someone who can largely just pick up a recipe and do it well, I don't eat out very much at all, maybe once or twice a year.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bison tacos. Old El Paso tortillas crisped at 300F. Dice Roma tomatoes, shredded Romaine lettuce and whatever cheese I can scare up to grate.
Swamp Donkey dark Ale. Swamp donkeys are moose.

Gotta do bison fajitas again real soon. Do believe that I have finally set aside 15 years of upscrewed cooking. Love the experiments.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Bison tacos. Old El Paso tortillas crisped at 300F. Dice Roma tomatoes, shredded Romaine lettuce and whatever cheese I can scare up to grate.
Swamp Donkey dark Ale. Swamp donkeys are moose.

Gotta do bison fajitas again real soon. Do believe that I have finally set aside 15 years of upscrewed cooking. Love the experiments.

Sounds great. Get down to lidl, this week they're doing their own brand taco and fajita kits etc for £1.49. I went into tesco after buying a bag of them and saw the old el paso ones for £3!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yesterday was my oldest grandson's, James, birthday and he had requested I smoke some pork ribs. I seasoned and smoked two racks over mesquite smoke and added corn on the cob and baked beans. He had also requested a "cookie cake' instead of a birthday cake so we made that (one giant cookie the size of a cake) and his mom (my daughter, Nikole) decorated it and added the candles.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got a tortilla press. With just a little more ambition, I'll make my own. I can add herbs & spices as well.
Same goes for tamales. Two big bundles of corn husks, whispering: "steam me, steam me."

Old El Paso did quite a job of flooding the marketplace with quasi-Mexican foods. I'll buy a variety of corn tortillas
just for the differences in taste. Pace, El Molino, Fresh Is Best and Casa are some that turn up from time to time.
The chef to watch for, for authentic Mexican, is Rick Bayliss. He's won some big money in competitions that he spends helping
Mexican family farmers. Have yet to buy one of his cook books, seems I've found a few recipes here and there to keep me busy.

I just have a problem finding ingredients, stuff as simple as Mexican chocolate for example. Heavily laced with sugar and cinnamon.

santaman: I need a dose of ribs. Seems silly, though to do all that, maybe eat 1/4 of it by myself and freeze the rest. Ribs is party food!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've got a tortilla press. With just a little more ambition, I'll make my own. I can add herbs & spices as well.
Same goes for tamales. Two big bundles of corn husks, whispering: "steam me, steam me."

Old El Paso did quite a job of flooding the marketplace with quasi-Mexican foods. I'll buy a variety of corn tortillas
just for the differences in taste. Pace, El Molino, Fresh Is Best and Casa are some that turn up from time to time.
The chef to watch for, for authentic Mexican, is Rick Bayliss. He's won some big money in competitions that he spends helping
Mexican family farmers. Have yet to buy one of his cook books, seems I've found a few recipes here and there to keep me busy.

I just have a problem finding ingredients, stuff as simple as Mexican chocolate for example. Heavily laced with sugar and cinnamon.

santaman: I need a dose of ribs. Seems silly, though to do all that, maybe eat 1/4 of it by myself and freeze the rest. Ribs is party food!

It's called "Tex-Mex. It's actually close tom authentic in the sense that "Mexican" food is regional rather than National anyway. Veracruz quisine is quite different from Jaliscan quisine.

Yes, fresh is most definitely best with tortillas. They don't keep well at all.

I can do a single rack and eat most of it in a couple of days: 2 meals each day. That said, I'd much rather do ribs when there's family and friends to share them with.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sure it's regional. I can't remember which part of Mexican cuisine Rick Bayliss works in.
Mexican is like Greek is like Indian is like Italian. I enjoy picking through them for what's appealing.
This means some exotic shopping in the city. This village is white bread and mayo.
I can't even buy durum semolina to make pasta. Every other bizzare kind of flour from 50 different kinds of weeds? Yes.
OTOH, I can buy a side of bison less than 10 minutes from my house.

Canada has some regional specialty dishes but I've never seen a spectrum of cuisines from one place as opposed to another.
Many, many pockets of ethnic people and their foods from around the world. That, is fantastic.

Tonight will be crab tortelli, my herbed pasta and my sauce and my crab filling. Imagine ravioli, 3 1/2 " across with
a 2" pocket, 3/4" deep. One of these times, I'll use egg roll wrappers and DF the things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE