What is for Dinner tonight...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Dry vermouth over ice with Navel Orange zest.
"String Chicken"
Skinless, boneless chicken thighs stuffed with a typical bread crumb dressing.
Wrapped with a length of cotton butcher string, oiled and seasoned and baked by the dozen in oiled pyrex pie plates.
Lime marmalade glaze when they come out.
Roast potato wedges with Greek seasonings.
Big glass of robust red from the Maipo Valley, Chile.
Some sort of a rabbit food-salad thing.

Janne: where does whale fit in the spectrum of meaty things?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Need to try whale to go with alligator, etc.

The lime marmalade was either stupidly simple or a big dose of beginner's luck, or both.
Very thin sliced limes, water and measured sugar. That's it.

2.5 lb/2kg limes (a dozen or less)
Very fine slice, pick out the seeds and save all juice
Into a plastic pitcher with 8C water overnight in the fridge.
Bring to a boil, simmer 45 minutes.
Measure hot to add 1C sugar per C of lime goop.
Bring to a rolling wild boil for 12 - 15 minutes. Just don't let it boil over.
Pack in hot sterilized jars on a sheet pan (in case a jar breaks, you will thank me.)
Stand on a rack until tomorrow = lime marmalade. I got about 2 liters total in 250ml jars.

I really got stuck with the chicken = had to debone all 24 of them myself. Not fun.
Ate 3 and froze the rest, more tonight.

Guess you're happy that you didn't have to clean the whale, huh?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've made Key Lime Pie with those. Crushed Graham Wafer crust.
I've got a real honker of a garlic press that can hold 1/2 Key lime
so juicing a bag of them just takes minutes. Cute little things.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
We had garden snails with garlic butter and onion tops, we collected them 4 days ago purged them stuck them in the freezer for about 15 mins then placed them in a pan of boiling water with a large pinch of sea salt for about 4 mins, removed them from their shell and gave them a rinse then put the back in the shell and put a dollop of garlic butter over the top and stuck them under the grill for a further 2 to 3 mins.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No Sturm listed in the BC liquor catalog. Might be what the guy a block over is making, so his kids have warned me.
We are very well off with the wines from Argentina and Chile.
Thawing the chicken in the cupboard to keep my cat out of it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, the cat is a fairly good friend with a lot of doggie personality (raised with 2 big Chessies.)
I've never taken advantage of the opportunities to eat cougar or lynx. Dog and Llama are terrible.

I googled 'sturm'. If you were here and starting with CA Zinfandel grapes, very interesting taste
and a very good predictor of wine quality at about Day 3 or Day 4 in the primaries.
I never made more than 450liters/100 gallons at a time.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We had garden snails with garlic butter and onion tops, we collected them 4 days ago purged them stuck them in the freezer for about 15 mins then placed them in a pan of boiling water with a large pinch of sea salt for about 4 mins, removed them from their shell and gave them a rinse then put the back in the shell and put a dollop of garlic butter over the top and stuck them under the grill for a further 2 to 3

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE