What I shot in the woods today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I don't come across these everyday. Its a Water rail...........Jon

dsc01090large0wd4wb.jpg

waterrailmedium4mg.jpg

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Jon Pickett said:

I cant see your pictures and clicking doesnt work either.
can you host your picture where one doesnt need a password to get in?
Or try to copy another tag not the url tag but the img tag.
If you copy an image tag you get the picture in the thread and we can see it.
Like this:

Perinf7.jpg

cheers
Abbe

leon-1

Neither of you have gone mad, I have changed the post so that you can see the picture instead of the link.

I have never seen one of these in the flesh Jon, it is a good picture too:)

Abbe is that a Nightjar, I am not too good on things ornothological

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks Leon.........I don't know what was going on........The other shot I took was better, but it didn't upload on here properly. I took about 20 shots, but only 2 were any good........Fast moving bird....................Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I think your right Stovie, redstart
Adi........Thanks for your compliment, I am hoping to get a better shot of it up, less camera shake.......................Jon

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
I think your right Stovie, redstart
Adi........Thanks for your compliment, I am hoping to get a better shot of it up, less camera shake.......................Jon

You need another beer, Jon ;) Good second shot. You were quite close then? Beautiful bird...did you shoot it at Warnham?

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
it could be a black redstart

the redstart has black throat, Gray scalp and white forehead, although it could be a female.

Yes i think its a female redstart but i ain't a birder.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
stovie said:
You need another beer, Jon ;) Good second shot. You were quite close then? Beautiful bird...did you shoot it at Warnham?

Ha ha.........I'm on my second, yes it was at warnham. I wasn't that close, on maximum zoom at 432mm. I'm going back tomorrow (sunday) and hopfully I will get a better shot. I got a good one of a nuthatch too...........Jon
dsc00511large7iv.jpg

Whoops, that an old one. I will get the hang of this one day

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
leon-1 said:
Neither of you have gone mad, I have changed the post so that you can see the picture instead of the link.

I have never seen one of these in the flesh Jon, it is a good picture too:)

Abbe is that a Nightjar, I am not too good on things ornothological

Oh, I cant take the honour of the shot, someone else did it I snatched the picture from the net one day when I explainded the bird I saw last time hunting. They are like small clowns funny and come very near. Forest workers say that they can feed them by hand, the birds lands in the hand and take the bread from the workers.

I looked it up: Siberian JayPerisoreus infaustus

Siberian Jays are rather comical birds, fluttering around in the branches of pine trees or hopping about on the ground like overgrown tits. They are often silent and tend to bunch together in small parties so they can be tricky to find, but if you do see them they can be very approachable and will often fly right up to you. They are unmistakeable birds about Mistle Thrush-size but with rusty red tails and wing panels.

Breeds in old coniferous forests especially with deep undergrowth of bilberries or junipers.

There have been no records in Britain, although intriguingly there has been a report of one on an oil rig in the North Sea.

Breeds in much of Scandinavia but is most likely to be found in the forests of Lapland. They are, however, very unobtusive birds which either remain hidden or come to within feet of you. The little camping area on top of the Valtavaara Ridge, near Kuusamo (Finland) is a particularly reliable spot.
100-300,000 breeding pairs mainly in Sweden with smaller populations in Finland and Norway.

cheers
Abbe

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Abbe Osram said:
I looked it up: Siberian JayPerisoreus infaustus

There have been no records in Britain, although intriguingly there has been a report of one on an oil rig in the North Sea.

Breeds in much of Scandinavia but is most likely to be found in the forests of Lapland. Abbe

Oh well! If you are going to throw foreigners into the mix... ;) It does look surprisingly like a Redstart tho'...Interesting :rolleyes:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
Ha ha.........I'm on my second, yes it was at warnham.

I was at Warnham reserve @ 1530...Had to leave work to rescue my wife who had run out of petrol :rolleyes: And the little orange light is for...???

Jon Pickett said:
Whoops, that an old one. I will get the hang of this one day

Are you sure you are only on your second :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE