Spring has Sprung - 2024

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Not sure we are there quite yet here in the Borders, the daffodils are barely out.

I did spot a toad hopping around last night though, thankfully before the dog saw it.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Snowdrops & crocuses have long gone, the daffs & hyacinths are waning & tulips are preparing to flower. Plum trees have just finished flowering & the peach trees are in full blossom as are the blackthorns.The quince tree is really leafing up but the apple & pear trees are strangly still dormant.
The dawn chorus has began in earnest, though we are still a few intruments short of a full orchestra. Dandelions are at their finest & the daisies are timidly making an appearance here & there. I think the small birds, tits, robins, etc. already have chicks as they're busy in the trees & hedgerows & less interested in the bird tables.
But more importantly, there is that undescribable sensation of spring in the air.

On a sadder note, there has been a complete absence of finches (green & goldfinches, chaffinches & bramblings) on the bird tables this 'winter'.........I haven't seen any wrens either, skittering about on the walls & hedges so far this year.
But on a brighter note, blue & great tits & blackbirds appear as numerous as usual, nuthatches & tree creepers abound & for the first time, we had a Great Spotted Woodpecker regularly visit a bird table.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTeach

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
You wouldn't think that Spring was here, at all....far too many, dismal-looking folk wearing rain hats and wellies.
Can't do anything in the garden, patchy grass already 15 cms tall.
Shrubs all yet to be cut back
Muddy earth, is like the bottom of a WW1 trench.

Dreich all around, so it is.

Rgds All
Ceeg

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
You wouldn't think that Spring was here, at all....far too many, dismal-looking folk wearing rain hats and wellies.
Can't do anything in the garden, patchy grass already 15 cms tall.
Shrubs all yet to be cut back
Muddy earth, is like the bottom of a WW1 trench.

Dreich all around, so it is.

Rgds All
Ceeg

Fellow North Lincs dweller here. Was out today for a walk near Belton/Epworth. Very boggy in parts, no wild garlic really to speak of BUT there was a lush green erupting from basically every surface. The sun was even out a bit later in the afternoon!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Well I usually finish cutting my hedges by the end of October.
I got it finished in a brief patch of sunlight this afternoon. Hope the refuse folk take the collected clippings, the older ones have turned to compost over winter.

Cyclamen, grape hyacinths, quince and periwinkle out, first miniature daffs going over, snowdrops completely gone.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well I usually finish cutting my hedges by the end of October.
I got it finished in a brief patch of sunlight this afternoon. Hope the refuse folk take the collected clippings, the older ones have turned to compost over winter.

Cyclamen, grape hyacinths, quince and periwinkle out, first miniature daffs going over, snowdrops completely gone.
Local Council have just started charging for taking garden refuse. Can't say I blame them, they can barely afford to keep the street lights on the way things are going. I do wonder why some of the folk who complain have not discovered composting yet.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For some unknown reason I can't see the Photos that would have obviously been uploaded with this thread?!?

:)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
It definitely feels like it in snowdonia at the moment. Lots of spring flowers are poking out, and the trees are budding, our pear tree is almost in leaf!
Interesting how we have an early Easter that coincides with a seemingly early spring.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Round here many things seem to be waiting for some sunny weather. It came out yesterday and it was good to see several lizards sun bathing, a couple of slow worms and a male oil beetle along with plenty of bumble bees and hover flies. Our gorse is in full flower but the blackthorn seems late and I'm very happy to see flowers on our damsons for the first time.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Just a few spring pics taken around the house this lunchtime.

Road/track/path that runs down to the house.
spring-003.jpg

What do you mean you want another piccy of the kitty ? Oh alright then.
spring-009.jpg

The last daffs in the garden.
spring-016.jpg

Forsythia & Kerria.
spring-012.jpg

A few varieties of primrose which are left to do their own thing.
spring-014.jpg

spring-013.jpg

This one appears to have moved in with a Hellebore.
spring-015.jpg

And the state of the lawn, or part of it. The early bees are happy. :rolleyes:
spring-017.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE