What's making these little holes in the ground?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
Walking in the woods in Wiltshire, lots of these little excavations along the path.
We thought maybe squirrels looking for their nuts, but some of them are quite large and have move quite a lot of dirt.

Can anyone enlighten me?

IMG-20240108-WA0006-01.jpegIMG-20240108-WA0008-01.jpeg

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Rabbits will make little exploratory digs, and squirrels will, as you say, dig out buried nuts - but if the holes are round and go down some distance, then it's likelier to be bank voles. Hard to be certain from the pics, but looks most like rabbits to me.

Reactions: Foogs

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Walking in the woods in Wiltshire, lots of these little excavations along the path.
We thought maybe squirrels looking for their nuts, but some of them are quite large and have move quite a lot of dirt.

Can anyone enlighten me?

View attachment 84624View attachment 84625
Could be rabbits, or even a squirrel. However, that nearest hole looks to have some crap in it (the dark stuff), and that would most probably mean a badger. But... they usually leave more than appears to be in that hole.

Easiest way to tell if it's badger crap is to get a dog near it, if the dog can't get enough of it and desperately wants to eat it and roll in it, you'll know it's from a badger... :yuck:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My money is on badger. It all looks pretty fresh, looking like it was all done at the same time. Unusual for rabbits to do that many test scrapes in such a small space, all at the same time, and the ground is pretty tough looking. That one has hit a root and tried to keep going. Could be poop pits, but they could also have been foraging. The badgers in the wood near my folks dig lots of holes just like those in the over-grown hardcore paths looking for beetles and such.

Foogs

May 12, 2023
UK
My money is on badger. It all looks pretty fresh, looking like it was all done at the same time. Unusual for rabbits to do that many test scrapes in such a small space, all at the same time, and the ground is pretty tough looking. That one has hit a root and tried to keep going. Could be poop pits, but they could also have been foraging. The badgers in the wood near my folks dig lots of holes just like those in the over-grown hardcore paths looking for beetles and such.
This makes sense, there are definitely some badger setts in the vicinity.

Reactions: Pattree

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Could be rabbits, or even a squirrel. However, that nearest hole looks to have some crap in it (the dark stuff), and that would most probably mean a badger. But... they usually leave more than appears to be in that hole.

Easiest way to tell if it's badger crap is to get a dog near it, if the dog can't get enough of it and desperately wants to eat it and roll in it, you'll know it's from a badger... :yuck:
That looks more like a couple of the little black stones that are scattered about on the ground.

Reactions: C_Claycomb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE