What have you picked/planted today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

george47

Banned
Aug 14, 2015
North Gulf of Mexico
Goodby everyone, I have enjoyed it but Tony has asked me to leave "you seem like a pedantic antagonist that enjoys pushing peoples buttons"

Thank you Red. Angts, I never could figure out skype yet, but thank you for your friendly gesture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
He was not asked to leave; he was asked to behave appropriately.

However, baiting Mods and throwing the dummy leads to only one result.

M

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just so there's some clarity here, the main reference was to an argumentative thread and communication with a mod

I wrote this

Hey George,

I've just been reading through your posts and you seem like a pedantic antagonist that enjoys pushing peoples buttons and the rules on Bushcraft UK, I don't quite get why you feel the need for this and your ending comment of
What a joyless mod posting - I am going back to the fishing thread. And I have been banned from better forums than this.

was quite unnecessary, but I can understand why you've bene banned from other forums and I'd not be surprised if you thought they were better than here, maybe they were more accommodating of your issues longer than we are, who knows, although you are entitled to your opinion.

I'm all for people having a warning and a new start and all that, please take this as that warning, I get the feeling you'll say something to push the point but that's up to you. If you would like stay on Bushcraft UK and enjoy things here you're welcome to do so, if you don't then leave.

All the best
Tony

His reply was this

I assume you have some antagonistic qualities your self and I can only read your post as a request to leave. I will not give my thoughts on you, but you should possibly look at what your own flaws are, they are not inconsiderable, judging by this post to me..

Please delete my account.

So please delete my account.

Then while I'm out at meetings in town he posts in a number of threads that I've asked him to leave as though he had no choice, which is not the case at all. I returned to find him banned by the mods who were aware of what I said to him, it was after that I notified them of what he said in reply.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Shame 'cos George did post some interesting stuff. BUT clearly some people will choose to walk rather than back down. From all I've seen on here, all the Mods are more than fair with giving warnings and do a good job at keeping this a friendly place to be!

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Today I planted 4 different varieties of garlic in a plot we have been given use of. Just a bulb each of Early Purple Wight, Solent Wight, Provence Wight and Elephant Garlic which are locally grown as you can probably guess by the names.
The Kale, Broccoli and Cabbages the Mrs planted a month ago were in a bit of a state so it looks like a slug offensive is on the cards this weekend.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Nipped up to the plot today to harvest some lettuce, of which we have a good crop thanks to the mild autumn. My garlic planted a few weeks ago is poking up through the soil, great to think that I will harvest it at the height of next summer.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wonderful news, bb. Maybe get the carrots tomorrow if this blizzard eases up.
Only -1 or -2C so ground isn't frozen. Every possible thing facing south has 2" wet snow pasted to it.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
I am replanting a Plum fruit tree tomorrow. Lost its leafs so it's ready I guess (still quite warm and not trees have lost their leaves.
The owners of my little basecamp don't want (more) trees, so it's moving to the city.

Maybe British Red knows if it's ok to replant it. (normally yeah but it is so warm, my dog even brought home a lively tick)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last chilli harvest of the year - stripped the greenhouse today :(. Might have eked out another week or two but ripening is marginal and I want to start getting the tender stuff some frost protection

Still here they are - I've bagged the green Fresno for freezing, I'll go Thais Sweet chilli with the rest I think

Fresno Chilli by British Red, on Flickr

Lemon AJi Chilli by British Red, on Flickr

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Went up between rain storms for a couple of hours today, harvested swiss chard, parsnip, loads of sprots and some lettuce.
managed to get another couple of beds manured to three inches and covered over for the winter and started putting on leaf mould where we have finishd cropping our salad bed as its the carrot and parsnip bed next year so no manure. Its nice to see the plot slowly drift towards winter yet feel that one is preparing for spring. A bit of hard graft now will pay off handsomely next year, yet some plots on the allotment seem yo have not tidied up beds which are done, never mind got the muck on. Same folk who were making Ooh noises at our crop this summer I guess.
Hope all are well in this nasty weather.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
And still it goes on !
Despite the awful autumn we are still harvesting BR's monster parsnips, swedes, sprouts and kale. Buying just teh odd carrot and sack of onions, which at three quid a sack from my local Asian store is not exactly a big cost.
It is extraordinary how an allotmwnt will feed one pretty much all year, and I think we enjoy eating seasonally more than when we just bought whatever we fancied. Perhaps the process of thinking about and plannibg ones meals does enhance the earting of them. In fact I am sure it does.
Despite our altitude and location, being 400m plus in West Yorks, the gooseberry bushes pruned in early autumn are already showing signs of new buds. Should one worry ? I guess not, nature will sort itself out. I struggle to recall a wetter and milder back end to the year.

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Not strictly today, but I went up to the plot on Tuesday and planted some Raspberry canes a neighbour gave to us. While turning the bed over I was surprised to unearth half a dozen perfect spuds- a bonus meal for our efforts!
All the garlic we planted is up and growing well, so hopefully we should get a nice early crop. It's been so mild we've barely had a frost all winter.
Getting some seed potatoes and chitting them will be the next job.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
First seeds coming through on out dining room windowsill, they will go into our poly greenhouse in a couple of weeks, but when to plant out given where we are ? (See above)
Keep sowing, keep planting I guess. Nearly lost our first earlies to frost in May last year.

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Bit the bullet and planted some spuds (Arran pilot) and the first sowing of mange tout peas (Carouby de Mausanne) on Tuesday. They certainly got well watered in as it hosed it down all day Wednesday, but the weather forecast looks reasonable for a while so fingers crossed they'll be ok. Also gave them (and the garlic) a top dressing of fish, blood and bone I found in the smorgasbord of clutter that is the under-sink cupboard.

unruly

Jan 8, 2014
Suthriganaweorc
1 Black Locust, 3 Autumn Olive, 10 Sea Buckthorn, 2 Jostaberry all planted out. In planters some Carlin Peas and Swiss Chard plus assorted salad greens. In grow throughs under cover some Skirret, Welsh Onions, Szechuan Pepper, Mexican Marigolds and Nasturtions. Not all today but over the last cople of weeks.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Chillis!

I bought a heated propagation tray with 7 small mini propagator boxes, due to huge failures in the past. £20 delivered.

I now have 38 shoots. Carolina Reaper (google image it, it's bad looking), jalapeños, Tongue of Fire, a creeper called Loco, Yellow Chiltepins (agian, worth a Google, an interesting plant), red habanero, and lastly, Summer of Fire.

Loco is a low trailing variety that can live outside, it throws up loads of different coloured upward pointing chillis. Carolina Reaper is the hottest chilli in the world, Guinness book hot. All this, and I'm not even a chilli fan. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE