What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
By this I mean a new fact, a new skill or a new piece of knowledge.

Not "learning in progress", just something you now know/can do that you didn't/couldn't before.

I'll kick off by confessing that I only learned what a Prusik Hitch was this week.

I shall be using it in anger on Saturday night to pitch my new DD tarp so it is very good timing!

Over to m'learned friends...

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've taught myself the cobra stitch for braiding cordage, and had a bit of a refresher on some of the more useful, but less often used, knots.

Dave

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I found out 2 things about tinderfungus. First how easy it actually is to make the fungus into usable tinder, and second how good it actually works,

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
not bushcrfty.. tho theres plenty of skills there im larning

but... a graduand has completed and passed their degree and is waiting for the ceremony to make it official. blinks, id never heard the word before

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
I found you can have a fire all day. And just when you are letting it die down, 2 fire engines turn up:lmao:

I also found that they can be quite grumpy

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Yesterday i learned that falling of a yacht doesn't always get you wet , ours is in the boat park on it's trailer and the ground is rough hardcore and hurts when you fall sideways on it:stretcher:

Craig............

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I learnt recently that you have two brains!! On QI it was. Apparently you have the main developed brain but your guts from the stomach down has its own rudimentary nervous system that acts a little like a brain and is totally separate of the main nervous system.

All I can say is we are being pitied by the octopus which has 8 brains!

Anyway lunch time is over now so its a no-brainer that I will have to get back to work now. Well in a bit when someone comes into the office.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
.....not to pedal mid corner....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Sorry to the OP, I did know this already....just keep forgetting.....now have both left and right pedal duffed up.

stayed on but felt a muppet :(

Mojo

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Hah!

Lots of interesting new knowledge and experiences here...

I forgot to add that I also learned how extremely hot a shell gets when you use it as a bearing in your bow drill. The monster burn blister it produced is still not healed after 2 and a bit weeks.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
:hammock:I have recently learned the way to put up my hammock using descender rings and caribinas, which makes it much easier to assemble. I have only been out a couple of times with the hammock. I have a small one man tent which i use very often but this will be put in the back of the cupboard now I am an off ground dweller. It will take some getting used to sleeping in the hammock but I'm sure i will get used to it.http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/images/smilies/hammock.gif

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
I learned that sausages are called "Bangers" because during the War, they used to fill them with water to make them bigger, then they would pop in the pan. Apparently this is why people still ***** their sausages, whereas I always thought it was to help them cook better/faster.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Yesterday i learned that falling of a yacht doesn't always get you wet , ours is in the boat park on it's trailer and the ground is rough hardcore and hurts when you fall sideways on it:stretcher:

Craig............

tsk tsk, coodny fill a bucket of water if he went down wi the Titanic...

Hope you're ok though.

Liam

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
tsk tsk, coodny fill a bucket of water if he went down wi the Titanic...

Hope you're ok though.

Liam

Surprised that you didn't feel the bump when i hit the ground or hear me swearing !

Was a bit sore yesterday but today i feel like i have had a good kicking !:buttkick:

Craig.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE