What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned how to do an archaeological field walk; including how to properly lay out the grid and record where objects were found.

If you ever get the chance to do one; jump at it.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
I need to get more active on here but I have so, so much to learn and very little to offer - this thread has caught me though (and though it isn't all bushcrafty, it very much affects me whether in the woods or not), so I've learned -

How to tie a DECENT half-hitch knot - always been ok, looks a lot neater now - one well tied knot seemed to kick off a streak of well done tasks and certainly spurred me on.

That my firewall would have you all in stitches! I built one with my bro to get him out in the woods a while - it did us proud. Then I saw various photos and videos shared by the bushcraft community and realised my error - my firewall is around 1ft high by 2ft wide! Coming on for a year now, it's still standing. Warmth is retained in the logs, heat reflected but I've a feeling its main use has been to shield the wind when sparking the fire! Next task is a "life-size" one ;).

That one day your German Shepherd will bring you a small African bloke, complete with wooly tank top and shiney shoes, out of the deepest part of the woods. Offer him a tea and guide him out of there! Remember that in his eyes, with a blade on your hip and a cozy little camp, you are a learn'ed woodsman, the wisest person he's met that day. Probably magic, Possibly Aragorn. Keep your giggles to a minimum.

That despite my belief bullets would bounce off me, a good woman slowly stripping away years of bad is teaching me how fragile I really am. That this little woman I can pick up with one arm can smash me down into tears with the sheer goodness in her heart. That I'm worth this - little ol me!

Last edited:

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I need to get more active on here but I have so, so much to learn and very little to offer - this thread has caught me though (and though it isn't all bushcrafty, it very much affects me whether in the woods or not), so I've learned -

How to tie a DECENT half-hitch knot - always been ok, looks a lot neater now - one well tied knot seemed to kick off a streak of well done tasks and certainly spurred me on.

That my firewall would have you all in stitches! I built one with my bro to get him out in the woods a while - it did us proud. Then I saw various photos and videos shared by the bushcraft community and realised my error - my firewall is around 1ft high by 2ft wide! Coming on for a year now, it's still standing. Warmth is retained in the logs, heat reflected but I've a feeling its main use has been to shield the wind when sparking the fire! Next task is a "life-size" one ;).

That one day your German Shepherd will bring you a small African bloke, complete with wooly tank top and shiney shoes, out of the deepest part of the woods. Offer him a tea and guide him out of there! Remember that in his eyes, with a blade on your hip and a cozy little camp, you are a learn'ed woodsman, the wisest person he's met that day. Probably magic, Possibly Aragorn. Keep your giggles to a minimum.

That despite my belief bullets would bounce off me, a good woman slowly stripping away years of bad is teaching me how fragile I really am. That this little woman I can pick up with one arm can smash me down into tears with the sheer goodness in her heart. That I'm worth this - little ol me!

I wreckon get less active here and more active out doors all I see is argaments and not much done I know I an better at show ing stuff in person than on here I am terrible at writing things

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I finally learned (and understood) the physics behind conchoidal fractures.

I also learned that once you are retired and have the whole day to do what you want it is the law that you go to the garden centre at lunchtime...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
1) That some Decathlon clothing has sewn in security tags ...

2) That you're supposed to know that you need to remove said tags ...

3) That the cashier's aren't trained to tell you about removing the tags ...

4) That the tags reactivate a couple of days after being deactivated by the cashier ...

5) That the reactivated Decathlon tags set the alarms off in stores other than Decathlon ...

6) That the tag will reactivate whilst you're in a shop ~ it'd be far funnier to trip an alarm when trying to enter a shop ...

7) That it can take a while to go through all your pockets, bags, and possessions trying to find what's tripping the alarm ...

8) That, having been into numerous other shops in the meantime, it's not immediately obvious that clothing purchased days earlier and from a different company will trip someone else's security alarms ...

And, yes, I have been in contact with Decathlon over this issue ...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
1) That some Decathlon clothing has sewn in security tags ...

2) That you're supposed to know that you need to remove said tags ...

3) That the cashier's aren't trained to tell you about removing the tags ...

4) That the tags reactivate a couple of days after being deactivated by the cashier ...

5) That the reactivated Decathlon tags set the alarms off in stores other than Decathlon ...

6) That the tag will reactivate whilst you're in a shop ~ it'd be far funnier to trip an alarm when trying to enter a shop ...

7) That it can take a while to go through all your pockets, bags, and possessions trying to find what's tripping the alarm ...

8) That, having been into numerous other shops in the meantime, it's not immediately obvious that clothing purchased days earlier and from a different company will trip someone else's security alarms ...

And, yes, I have been in contact with Decathlon over this issue ...

Brilliant,, and muppets. Sounds like an ordeal.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sounds like an ordeal.

Could have been worse ~ it helped that the bod responding to the alarm was switched on and quickly clicked that I'd either been 'pranked' as I'd walked round the store or was somehow unwittingly triggering the alarm ;) :D . Helps lots when you can have a chuckle with the security bod ;)

But ... I'm not overly impressed with the reaction from Decathlon's CS Team :eek: :( .

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That I need to take my inhalers regularly, even if I don't feel I need to.

Alternative formulation: Asthma attacks are unpleasant and the ability to breathe is actually quite a useful habit, and I tend to panic when I can't do it.

scoteng

Mar 19, 2014
Central Scotland
That not taking active part in this forum over the past few weeks (being a lurker) would hurt when I want to join the DD group buy. :confused:

Serves me right I suppose :rolleyes:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
You might as well have offered a pork sandwich to a Jewish Rabbi asking that to any football orientated northerner from either side of that divide

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Asking your geordie boss if he is a maccam = instant sense of humour failure

lol I was on holiday in castle douglas years ago when I walking into a pub with my pal and ordered a couple of pints when one of the locals asked if I was from sunderland , lol.

I can asure you that you would not want to ask the same question in any pubs in the toon ! lol

skog

Forager
Aug 9, 2011
wicken
Yea I promise I didnt do it just to bait him when he called me a thick ex tom. Its great the reactions when you ask said questions in an innocent voice.

Another time goes along these lines =

Hur hur thick ex tom im ex raf so mega etc..

Meself it must have been so hard for you the day you lost your mobile tethered intelligence unit?

Himsez - huh? What you on aboot?

Meself (innocent) - well you know the day you had to hand your police dog back....

Cue super shouty tantrams and skog on bone jobs all day but eith massive smile on grid due to getting desired reaction.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned today that the pear tree grown from a pip in our garden has put out a couple of flowers.

I understand that fruit trees grown this way take many years (if ever) before they fruit, so we may have a mini harvest this year!

I think the sapling/tree must be about 15 years old now. It used to be in a pot but was planted out in our garden 8 years ago.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I learnt today that if you hear someone shouting 14! 14! 14! 14! from behind a fence do not peek thought the hole in the fence! you get poke in the eye and they start shouting 15! 15! 15!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE