What happened to the Oldies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi All,
where have all the old members that frequented the forum when I joined in '04 or '05 gone? Chris Cavenaugh and all the rest?
Are they all lurking in a secret part of the forum? I enjoyed their posts!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Some of us are still here and lots still read it,but when you've answered the same questions a few dozen times apathy sets in and they leave the answers to someone else who still has forum enthusiasm.
Even a motormouth like me struggles to post anything interesting anymore.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Some of us are still here and lots still read it,but when you've answered the same questions a few dozen times apathy sets in and they leave the answers to someone else who still has forum enthusiasm.
Even a motormouth like me struggles to post anything interesting anymore.

I never had anything interesting to post in the first place :eek:

As in all forums though, you do get a circle of information that arises, dies and then arises again. Some folks like posting facts and talking slkills, others like to build up friends on the forum and talk about skills whilst doing so, and it's those folk that seem to stay around.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Good to know there's still some around! Shame not all are however.
Have to say I have lost all motivation to give hammock info myself, but am still here to learn.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not necessarily. I've been here a while and I'm still an unskilled 'billy-no-mates'.

Aw :grouphug:

I think what you said about posting the same information repeatedly is very, very valid :) and constantly pointing folks to old threads is kind of negative.
The other thing is that the forum membership is huge these days, a lot of folks posting kind of obscures the familiar faces at times.

cheers,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, that's true, the traffic on here is immense now, and threads seem to disappear down the page fast due to the volume of posts and posters.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Ah yes, Magikelly, Neil1, Stuart, Chris Kavenaugh Abe Osram and others that I used to read. At least some are still here and active. And all who have posted on this thread obviously!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi All,
where have all the old members that frequented the forum when I joined in '04 or '05 gone? Chris Cavenaugh and all the rest?
Are they all lurking in a secret part of the forum? I enjoyed their posts!

In answer to Chris I'm not sure how he's doing now but he got quite sick and couldn't really do the forums any more, he used to look after Doug Ritters forums but he stopped doing that as well, I've tried a few times to contact him to see how he's doing but no luck.

Some of the others are still about, as you've seen, they often read, pop in, post when they feel like it etc Some have gone for good and we've not seen them for a long time.

I think that some of the old times don't realise that they're an inspiration to others, it can be a bit of a drudge going through subjects more than a few times but I used to enjoy reading about what they had been up to, if you're reading this, let us know what you've been up to goodjob

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
In answer to Chris I'm not sure how he's doing now but he got quite sick and couldn't really do the forums any more, he used to look after Doug Ritters forums but he stopped doing that as well, I've tried a few times to contact him to see how he's doing but no luck.

Some of the others are still about, as you've seen, they often read, pop in, post when they feel like it etc Some have gone for good and we've not seen them for a long time.

I think that some of the old times don't realise that they're an inspiration to others, it can be a bit of a drudge going through subjects more than a few times but I used to enjoy reading about what they had been up to, if you're reading this, let us know what you've been up to goodjob

thats a shame about chris tony and well said in regards to not realsing how inspiring they were to all us novices

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
When I joined here back in 2003 Jack Beckett and Ed Livesy were regular contributors, I miss their posts as they really knew their stuff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE