What Folder..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Those EKAs are really nice, I just got one last weekend! :)
I love Opinels, Bucks, Spydies, Case, Benchmades. :cool:
Benchmades are a bit too pricy, or I would own several!

In my younger days, I always carried a Gerber Folding sportsman, like this one but with a drop point ( I don't like the trailing point as much). This was my only knife I had, did everything from cleaning squirrels and fish to whittling:
264557.JPG

Then, after I lost the one I had, I carried one of these two beauties most of the time. Carbons steel blades, strong backsprings, really good knives:
061976.jpg

Now, I carry Opinels, a Benchmade mini-grip, or a Spyderco Endura. But I still mostly use my SAKs. The Spydies and BMs have great blades, get very sharp and stay that way. Good feature!
BrowncountyEndura1.jpg

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I like these, very tough perfectly legal slip joints, 3 inch long 3mm O1 blade, 2mm stainless liners, 4.5mm stainless pivots, a choice of handles, black Micarta shown, fully disasembles for maintenance and parts replacement. Completely hand made. A bit pricy.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Most of the time when I'm out in the countryside, I'd have my clog-ended Nontron in it's case on my belt. The twisting ferrule lock is very similar to an Opinel.

In fact, for the last couple of weeks, that's gone back to being my EDC around Paris.

Oh, I often have an Opinel N°6 or N°7 around town, but in the woods, I'd have a N°12 and the Opinel folding saw, too.

I've also taken to carrying a small Douk(douk these last few months, for more delicate work.

I also have a couple of Barlow knives (one Wostenholm, one Camillus) that can replace the Douk-Douk.

But (titter ye not) I also use a chisel ground, tanto shaped CRKT KISS as a nifty little tool for shaving spells for kindling. The chisel grind (single sided grind) makes it work jst like a chisel or a plane. Exactly what you need for shaving off long, thin bits of wood.

Keith.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Keith_Beef said:
Oh, I often have an Opinel N°6 or N°7 around town, but in the woods, I'd have a N°12 and the Opinel folding saw, too.
Keith, how do you find the Opinel folding saw in use? I currently use a Silky Pocket Boy which is a very good cutter, leaving a nice clean cut and good design, but I have lost the end of the blade as it is quite thin bladed and was thinking of something froggie.

Simon

C

CatFisH

I like the Folding Hunter pattern...couple of old ones by Case and one from Buck
bigfolders2.jpg

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
WayLand have a look over at British Blades and particularly this thread .

The criteria was a UK legal spyderco!

The UK Pocket Knife (UKPK) was the outcome of that thread. And it has become incredibly popular, i have one and i can see why it has been such a success.

HTH...

C

CatFisH

thanks HooDoo...those are classic blades that I grew up using...they have cleaned several truckloads of deer/squirrels/canecutters....they feel and perform like timeless pieces of cutlery...and I must have HooDooitis cause i picked up another old classic...an Normark Super Swede by Eka with a very solid lockup and great stainless steel that holds an edge...
[
NormarkSuperSwede1.jpg

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have one very similar to that but with green rubber scales.
It locks ,the release is at the rear (also the lanyard loop).
Can't find it now but i will try and post a pic soon.

leon-1

CatFisH said:
thanks HooDoo...those are classic blades that I grew up using...they have cleaned several truckloads of deer/squirrels/canecutters....they feel and perform like timeless pieces of cutlery...and I must have HooDooitis cause i picked up another old classic...an Normark Super Swede by Eka with a very solid lockup and great stainless steel that holds an edge...
[
NormarkSuperSwede1.jpg

The Super Swede, like the Big Swede was a favourite of the RM for years, they can be easily stripped, cleaned, they have good lockup and as has been mentioned before, hold a good edge.

RB I bought one of the ones with green scales a few years ago, unfortunately I lost it whilst out and about, which brings me onto the one addition to this kife that I would like to see, which is a good pouch for it.

When I bought my first one I thought it good value for money and to be honest, I still think that they are good value for money :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Aside from SAKs, I've been free of folders for about 6 months or so, when I gave away a CRKT Apache II linerlock w/ats34 steel.

Then, a couple weeks ago, a good friend gifted me with a 900 Puma Earl lockback with stag scales and a bowie style point. Great shape for a 30+ year old knife. I havn't had the chance to do much with it except put an acceptable edge on it.

puma0021bn.jpg

G

Gripper

Large Sebenza for me most of the time plus Al Mar SERE in my pack with my SAK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE