What does you daybag contain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I think that it would be interesting to see what other members carry for a days walking/hiking etc and what rucksacks they are using.
This may be useful for current and future members to find alternatives to their current setup or to think about what they carry from a different perspective.

I'll start with my setup:
  • Rucksack - Quechua Arpenaz 20L <- Looking to upgrade to something more comfortable for the back
  • Hat or cap depending on weather
  • Waterproof shell & Trousers
  • Snacks + Lunch
  • Osprey Canteen + Crusader Cup
  • First Aid Kit
  • Torch - Maglite
  • Map & Pen
  • Compass - Suunto M-3 G
  • Possibles Pouch - Victorinox Hiker | Fire Steel | Matches | Fallkniven DC4 | Whistle
  • Cordage - 550lb Paracord - Too many uses to list...
  • Small Towel - Brightly colored so it can double up as a SOS marker**
  • Bivvy Bag - Snugpak - In case I am forced to camp overnight
Ocassionally I will carry a Notepad or if I am looking for a specific fungi or plant - a small book on that subject. Other than this my setup doesn't change much unless I am doing something like climbing Snowden etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o and TeeDee

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Off topic but when you get your Suunto check straight away if the needle is level. Changed my compas to M3G few months ago and Suunto have switched to clear plastic needle. Had to exchange mine as it was balanced wrong, also I have found reddit thread about this issue another user had.
Other than that it's fantastic.

Reactions: arthem and Billy-o

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hey everyone,

I think that it would be interesting to see what other members carry for a days walking/hiking etc and what rucksacks they are using.
This may be useful for current and future members to find alternatives to their current setup or to think about what they carry from a different perspective.

I'll start with my setup:
  • Rucksack - Quechua Arpenaz 20L <- Looking to upgrade to something more comfortable for the back
  • Hat or cap depending on weather
  • Waterproof shell & Trousers
  • Snacks + Lunch
  • Osprey Canteen + Crusader Cup
  • First Aid Kit
  • Map & Pen
  • Compass - Waiting for Suunto M-3 G to arrive
  • Possibles Pouch - Victorinox Hiker | Fire Steel | Matches | Fallkniven DC4 | Whistle
  • Cordage - 550lb Paracord - Too many uses to list...
  • Small Towel - Brightly colored so it can double up as a SOS marker**
  • Bivvy Bag - In case I am forced to camp overnight
Ocassionally I will carry a Notepad or if I am looking for a specific fungi or plant - a small book on that subject. Other than this my setup doesn't change much unless I am doing something like climbing Snowden etc...
- Food. Cold options but occasionally a small butane stove if I feel like a hot meal.
- Water. Tesco water bottles unless it's a hard mountain climb then osprey hydraulics bladder.
- Clothes. spare socks and tshirt in case I get drenched. Fleece as an extra layer, wproof jacket. All in drybag.
- full size FAK with proper trauma items like israeli bandage and tourniquet.
- Utilities: powrbank, nitecore headtorch, neck knife, bic lighter, sawyer filter with bag, repair kit (patches, glue, zip ties etc), hednet, whistle, KFS set, compass.
- seat pad and/or pocket hammock.

I would recommend swapping your bivvy for a small tarp or poncho tarp, something like DD superlight tarp S. This will give you an option for an emergency overnight shelter but also very useful to stop in the rain for a sandwich.

Reactions: arthem

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Very similar to my day bag kit. The most notable differences are that I tend not to carry the bivvy, but do carry binoculars and a small camera. Depending on where I am, I may also carry water purification, like my Aquapure Traveller.

I am also very partial to a walking stick, although I guess that isn't part of the day pack.

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
Off topic but when you get your Suunto check straight away if the needle is level. Changed my compas to M3G few months ago and Suunto have switched to clear plastic needle. Had to exchange mine as it was balanced wrong, also I have found reddit thread about this issue another user had.
Other than that it's fantastic.
Thanks for the tip!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Not much difference either. Here's some other items that live in my day pack.
  • Buff & face flannel (aka general rag)
  • Set of zip lock bags (Noaks set) just for waterproofing stuff, paper, maps & electronics
  • AA flashlight & set of lithium primaries.
  • Pad of extreme post it notes, and sharpies/pencil/pen

Probably swap out the flashlight at some point to an angle light, so can use it hands free.

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
Not much difference either. Here's some other items that live in my day pack.
  • Buff & face flannel (aka general rag)
  • Set of zip lock bags (Noaks set) just for waterproofing stuff, paper, maps & electronics
  • AA flashlight & set of lithium primaries.
  • Pad of extreme post it notes, and sharpies/pencil/pen

Probably swap out the flashlight at some point to an angle light, so can use it hands free.
Forgot to add my flashlight to the list. Zip lock bags are an excellent idea.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Nowadays, I walk between 10 and 20km per day with our peculiarly demanding and athletic dog. All weathers and sometimes a desire to do 30km comes upon me, but I usually wish I had some peanuts or biscuits with me when I do that. Get pretty tired that last 5km. So, usually no bag. Just shorts, Altra trainers and the appropriate jacket and hat, gloves plus a 150 gsm merino neck gaiter (in the winter) or a linen square.

However, when I get out of reach of ordinary hospitality, I take a bag, which is nowadays a Mystery Ranch In and Out (may get another while they are still around).

In that, there's a windproof jacket and microfleece, socks, a small microfibre towel, dark glasses, sunhat, headtorch, Delica, lighter, Suunto, lipbalm, some small containers of vaseline, sunscreen, Tums, Sudocrem, Afterbite, patent electrolyte mix, mosquito repellant, nuts & raisins, sarnie, Nalgene Oasis bottle, map, sometimes a Garmin, bit of paracord, some paper towel in a ziploc, nailclippers, loupe and sliver grippers on a keyring, plus a pair of Leica 8x20 or Nikon 8x32 bins.

Been looking at getting another monocular ... likely a Vortex.

When I win a suitable prize I will splash $1500-2000 on decent 8x42s :)

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Looks like we all carry pretty similar things.

Mine goes in a Wisport Sparrow 20L (to which I've added a couple of small side pouches for small bits and pieces)
- Brew kit (stove, gas bottle, tea bags). If the weather is hot I won't bother with this, preferring a cold drink
- Water bottle and mug.
- Windshield
- Poncho. Which I can either wear or use to knock up a shelter. If no rain is forecast I won't bother with this.
- Paracord. For securing the above poncho
- Tent spikes. Ditto
- Something to eat - usually just a sarnie and some fruit.
- Note pad and pencil, in case I have any wise thoughts.
- Tissues and wipes
- Small penknife of some description

On my belt there'll be a camera and sometimes binoculars, but these aren't in the bag so don't know if they count or not. For ID guides, rather than books, I have my phone with suitable apps installed.
That's usually it. Sometimes, if I have a specific destination in mind, or the whimsy takes me, I'll put a hammock in there as well.
Depending on weather and intentions, sometimes the bag is virtually empty, sometimes packed full.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
If I'm just out for a stroll, I'll generally only have whats in my edc pack so I don't really add anything more in such a situation...

Wallet
Phone
Med - IFAK type
Torch - olight i2e EOS
Water bottle - 1ltr Mountain Warehouse bladder type
Pocket knife - Victorinox Rangergrip 78
Cloth - An old sweat rag
Face mask
Alcohol gel
Sharpie - 1 normal, 1 mini
Small amount of cash - coin denominations
2 x oat bars
1 x energy gel
A lightweight wind jacket - Rab Vital hoody

If I am doing bushcraft activities I'll simply chuck the above into a small day pack and add a tarp, some cord, a metal mug, some food, a waterproof jacket and a warm layer if I think I need it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Rucksack - Vango Fyr (25 litre, I think)

2 lire Water bladder - currently or otherwise 2 x 1 litre plastic water bottles
Thermos flask - can't go without my coffee
Dinner - Tuna or egg butties
Trail food - dried dates

Boonie hat
Bandana
Headover
Fingerless gloves
Lightweight poncho - ripstop US GI copy
Waterproof trousers - not if am wearing the kilt
Windproof top - Rohan Backpacker

First Aid kit - includes tick card, Afterbite and anti-histamine also increasingly ibuprofen gel
Alcohol hand sanitiser and respiratory mask
Blister kit - Compeed plus leucotape

Mini Maglite - a LED upgraded incandescent
OS Active map,
Magnifying glass
OHP pen - for writing on Active map
Space pen - really, a Zebra FX-MD fitted with Fisher refill
Compass - Recta DS-50G
Whistle - Acme Cyclone
Reading glasses
Sun glasses
Sun screen

BCB Go Pack - contains bright orange plastic bivvy bag and space blanket amongst other possibly useful things
Multitool - Mk1 Leatherman Juice Xe6 (in purple)
Cell phone
Trekking poles.
550 Paracord (about 30 feet)

Nikon D300 camera.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
25km up an old logging road is as close to the middle of nowhere as you can imagine being. Mountains, rushing rivulets, forest as far as you can see.
Walking, vehicle breakdown, all the same. Food for 2-3 days, stove & kit to boil water from local creeks. Pasta, S&P, etc. Bog rolls. I have a really rank old Coleman cooler in the back of the Burb with broken hinges. Coleman 533 & fuel, space blankets, dry foods, reliable stuff like that, good to -30C.

Emptied out, you would probably find half a dozen sharp but cheap folders.
At least 1/2 dozen BIC butane lighters. I just accumulate the stuff over the years and it gets tossed into the same box so I know where it all is.

A small box of 5 x 12 ga x 3" x SSG and a standard box of 2.75 x 7.5 trap loads.
I can't run, I can't hide. I never go up, unarmed. Too many hits and close calls.

You cannot even go for a jog in Stanley Park in Vancouver without the threat of an active attack from the coyotes which live in the park.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I tend not to wear a daysack if I go out for the day and just put everything in my smock, from memory I've got:

Bottom left pocket:
Possibles Pouch (Knife, ferro rod, lighters, waxed fire lighters, bug repellent, vaseline, midge net, puritabs, fishing kit, ductape, snare wire and, coffee sachet)
Rubberised food bag for foraging,
Another ferro rod tied to the button by a bit of paracord.
Collapsible mug, normally used for the dog to drink out of if there's no puddles.

Bottom right pocket:
Waterbottle and crusader mug.
Clasp knife attached to the button with some paracord.

Left chest pocket:
FFD, CAT, Whistle and, pace beads.

Right chest pocket:
Spoon, head torch, red cyalume attached to pen loop, coffee sachets, dragon fire blocks, bow drill string and, lighter.

Left inner pocket:
Notebook / pen, white cyalume with string, 10m bank line, firefly strobe and, a4 map of the local area.

Right inner pocket:
Usually dog lead, phone and, car keys.

If it's likely to rain I'll stuff a gortex jacket in the poachers pocket at the back.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
That’s not an explosive crossbow bolt. It’s the silver arrow. THE silver arrow. Herne’s arrow. Described by Gildas the monk over a thousand years ago. But it’s older than that. Much older.

View attachment 67794View attachment 67795View attachment 67796View attachment 67797View attachment 67798View attachment 67799View attachment 67800View attachment 67802View attachment 67803View attachment 67804

I'm so lost with this post that no map or compass is going to help.....

• Haha
Reactions: Herman30 and arthem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE