what does bushcraft mean to you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
Unless you mean the television version of bushcraft which is fast forward the hardwork, show the successes and ignore the failures, then sit and carve the perfect spoon in just under 3 minutes.

I'd agree with this every programme does it and I don't get why, just show us I know I wouldn't be bothered

denny 😊

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I'm thinking the clue is in the name, crafting stuff while in the Bush?, the craft of living off the land. a skill set enabling a comfortable existence living in the wilderness & being at one with nature?

Its all the things that I wish I could do & all the knowledge that I wish I had.

When I'm camping in the woods I'm kit Heavy & to be honist I don't class much of what I do when I'm out and about in the wilds of Scotland as "Bush crafting" I'm in awe of anyone with the manual dexterity to craft using small hand tools crafting things like wooden spoons, kuksas, antler carving, animal skin pouches, trinket boxes, hunting gathering wild food for free, tarp camping & Like Ruud said I also see it as a skill set from which I can draw some knowledge for the different situations I might find myself in when I'm in the wilds.

Alan

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
To me it's pure escapism from my human city cattle life

jius

Apr 12, 2015
All Over
An excuse to play with knives. But in reality its a form of escapism from the hectic money driven capitalist world and getting back to nature, the world and universe we live in like a rebalance of priorities. As many kids would say "going offline"

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Bushcraft to me is freedom...freedom from today's rat race...a step back in time when life was pure and you could smell the seasons change in the air ....instead of smelling all the takeaway,car,pollution

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It has kept me alive in comfort, 40+ miles from the nearest road, for many months at a time.
Now, it means that I can stay in hotels. It means that I can live in cities for maybe a week at a time.

Joe tahkahikew knows these things.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
The subject we all love means something different to all of us, a recent conversation lead me to ask what does bushcraft mar to you?
For me bushcraft is aiming to have the ability to live in the wild with minimal aid, but also something you do when out and about (hiking for example)
so what's it mean to you guys?

denny 

Bushcraft for me is freedom being out in the great outdoors, going back to basics and to be able to Survive without depending on others!

Dave

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Proving to the missus that you absolutely needed to spend £60 on an axe when you had a perfectly good one in the shed by making things look more difficult than they are when they come along?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE