what does bushcraft mean to you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
The subject we all love means something different to all of us, a recent conversation lead me to ask what does bushcraft mar to you?
For me bushcraft is aiming to have the ability to live in the wild with minimal aid, but also something you do when out and about (hiking for example)
so what's it mean to you guys?

denny 😊

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
When folks I meet or work for ask, I say something along the lines of what that Ray Mears chap on telly gets up to.

Myself, I have long since given up trying to define it, there is so much that the term can refer to.

:)

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
To me it means I can go play "cowboys & injuns", as we used to call it, and stay out as long as I want whilst pretending that the world is as I wish it to be rather than as it is; a return to a certain innocence of being. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The subject we all love means something different to all of us, a recent conversation lead me to ask what does bushcraft mar to you?
For me bushcraft is aiming to have the ability to live in the wild with minimal aid, but also something you do when out and about (hiking for example)
so what's it mean to you guys?

denny 😊

Bushcraft is as good an excuse as any to get out camping :)

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
It's a new way of looking at things for me. It used to be 'that's a stick' now it's 'I know I can use that stick for making a bow drill' and 'ooo the young leaves are out, let's have a snack'
Plus a great excuse to buy Shiney knives and bits of equipment!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Working in the environment you find yourself in to ensure you have the basics, and if there is enough daylight left, maybe craft a luxury that will make tomorrow easier or more comfortable.

Unless you mean the television version of bushcraft which is fast forward the hardwork, show the successes and ignore the failures, then sit and carve the perfect spoon in just under 3 minutes.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
bushcraft? a significant step in the direction of living WITH nature rather than our endless battle to conquer it.
That's not to say 'lovey-dovey' nature, as it has many ways of despatching us, but in a way we give back as much, or more, than we take.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE