What do you wear under your Norgie?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Please excuse the question - I've done several searches but couldn't find the info I'm looking for.

As a relative newbie still, I'm trying to get my 'layering' sorted out.

Having just taken delivery of a 'Norgie' I'd like some advice so a couple of questions please:

- what do you wear under it as a baselayer if using the Norgie as a mid.

- If using the Norgie as a baselayer, what do you wear over it?

TIA for your help/advice.

Best Wishes
David

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
Webtex base layer most of the time or just a cotton t-shirt, depends on the weather and how much physical activity I think I'll be doing.
Hope this helps,

PREPER............ :)

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
in summer i use nothing under, and nothing over.

in the military we used a woolen shirt under, and woolen sweater and windproof jacket over.
if it wasn't too cold, we didn't use the woolen shirt or sweater.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
I'm with Chris. On mild autumn or spring days a good wicking technical t-shirt helps make it more comfortable. In the summers I find it too warm, so just the technical shirt. In the winter (including minus degrees and snow) the t-shirt, then the norgie and a Berghaus windproof fleece over the top while walking. If I'm stopped and getting a bit chilly I may throw a belay jacket over the top.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have a Norgie but skip it in favour of a wicking tee and wicking or wool mid layer, for the reasons given above. I wouldn't use it as a base layer if there were a risk of getting wet or if it were cold and I was going to get sweaty.

NS

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Webtex base layer most of the time or just a cotton t-shirt, depends on the weather and how much physical activity I think I'll be doing....

pretty much the same as PREPER, cotton t-shirt if i don't expect to be doing anything physical, "technical" synthetic base layer if i do (short sleeved when it's warm, long sleeved when it's cold)

i don't wear my norgie as a base layer, but as a midlayer i wear it under any combination of: regatta fleece gillet, hand knitted jumper, crag hoppers fleece, swandrii extreme shirt, regatta waterproof jacket, home made smock. (not often all at once :hatscarf:)

stuart

edit: at the moment i've just got a cotton t-shirt on under my norgie, sitting in front of the computer isn't overly physical!

Last edited:
A

armysurplus365

Web-tex base layer or Helly Hanson Base Layer. The Web-tex is 100% polyester, however quick drying warm and also cooling in the summer. The HH is made from 100% Lifa which is also good for all year round as its breathable. Both act like a second skin. The Web-tex is half the price of the HH. I perosnally have both and to be honest they both are great, although I find the web-tex a little more comfortable than the HH.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Coolmax or Merino base layer underneath. Norgies are cheap, good in dry, cold conditions and static activities, but they do soak up moisture.

I've started favouring wool jumpers (thin Merino, medium or thick wool blend dependent upon temperature) instead of fleece, although fleece would dry faster after a soaking.

The other day I wore a t shirt, a thick jumper and a pertex-esque windproof for a walk in cool, blustery conditions and was very comfortable.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I used to wear a heavy cotton T shirt underneath a terry cotton Norwegian shirt and a ripstop polycotton jacket over the top, but that was when it was all that I knew about and all that I could use. It didn't make for a very comfortable combination, it soaks up sweat and rain like a sponge. I've been told, 'cotton kills' due to the way it sucks heat out of you to dry - I find it okay for summer use as an outer layer as it's durable and usually inexpensive, but for winter I can believe there are better choices out there (I just need to be able to afford them now :p )!

I'm sure the Norwegian shirt is probably great if you're in extreme cold dry conditions (like those in, funnily enough, Norway) and static rather than sweating, but for coastal damp environments like ours and active use I'm not a fan. I ended up getting a 100-weight microfleece shirt (same design pretty much) and that works a lot better for what I use it for - normally worn with a wicking coolmax type t shirt underneath. Wool or merino are also good options - I've a Smartwool merino baselayer that is wonderfully comfy, if a bit prone to getting holed.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is it possible to wear anything under a norgie, I couldn't zip up the neck on the two I had without cutting off the blood flow to my brain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE