What do YOU wear in your sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
wanderinstar said:
I know it sounds a personal question, but I,m thinking of going to New Year North Meet, and I dont want to freeze my n---s off. I was talking to a market trader, who seemed very knowledgeable, and he said that if you sleep in your clothes the trapped air gets expelled as you turn over in your sleep.
He said he uses an item made by Snugpak that divers use under a drysuit but I cant remember what it was called. Think it was named after an animal. I had thought about getting a set of thermals from Damart.
Ian.

sorry i missed this one, i am not able to get to a computer very often at the moment.

the item made by snugpak for insulation under divers dry suits is called a weezle suit, unlike the the wooly bears it is a made of synthetic sleeping bag insulation rather than thick fleese

you can find it here: http://www.weezle.co.uk/

I have used them as evening wear in very cold climates and they are quite good, you could if you wanted wear it inside your sleeping bag if your bag had enough space for you not to be compressing the insulation, then you could wear part of your sleeping system when you are resting in the evening and cooking etc.

it would have to be very very cold before you started considering this sort of set up though

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
At the dartmoor meet i found that boxers and a t-shirt was plenty in my nannock SF -10 , but then i did have the pup laid on top off the sleeping bag . All in all i was very warm , which is good till you have to get up !!!
A dog makes a good hot water bottle !
Pumbaa

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
pumbaa said:
A dog makes a good hot water bottle !Pumbaa

I knew several people (and not all girlies) that take hot water bottles with them and use them for winter camping. The big ones are ok if you're not carrying them far but I saw half sized ones in Wilkinsons last week which looked like a good idea.
As I say, I sleep hot so don't use them but others I know swear by them :)

And as for needing a pee in the night, a few of the Scandinavian lads say that they take an empty plastic bottle into their snow holes at night to pee in so they don't have to get out in -30 to relieve themselves. :D

Bam. :)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
you can just fill your normal water bottle or water bladder with hot water before you go to bed and wrap some spare clothing around it before you sleep.

keeps you warm during the night and you have some non-frozen water to drink in the morning when you wake

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Razorstrop said:
Nice try but null and void because its a sleeping system designed to be used with clothes, which is a whole different kettle of fish to a conventional sleeping bag

Hurry its going to boil over!
Mr Strop

Ha, but then i would counter by saying that the sleeping bags are conventional. The comfort temperature is quoted for a bod in his shorts, for the bag on it's tod. And as a conventional sleeping bag manufacturer, i would suggest that they know something when they suggest using quilted clothing in the bag in extreme temperatures.
:lmao:

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
When I was in Canada I bought combinations: that's one piece underwear, with a back flap and all, in this case made from synthetic fabric. I had a down 2 season bag and the combi alone turned it into a 3 season. And If it's nippy the combi stays on till it starting to ferment :)

There used to be a chain of shops called Pollard's that sold that sort of garmet, but I don't know if they're around anymore.

Oh, and a felt hat helps as well. The heads a big heat drain as already mentioned.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
innocent bystander said:
Ha, but then i would counter by saying that the sleeping bags are conventional. The comfort temperature is quoted for a bod in his shorts, for the bag on it's tod. And as a conventional sleeping bag manufacturer, i would suggest that they know something when they suggest using quilted clothing in the bag in extreme temperatures.
:lmao:

Again you are delving into the realms of techinical clothing and now sleeping bags, not to nit pick , but what you are saying is totally correct, but not applicable in normal everyday camping. If you think about it , of course it makes sense to wear down clothing in a sleeping bag, the clothing will loft and after that the bag will loft creating a double layer of warmth, which is standard practise for arctic conditions etc............. however you are missing the point of the original post........what should I wear in my sleeping bag.............if you have a good enough sleeping bag, you wear next to nothing and you are fine, if you dont you suppliment it with the likes of a silk liner and some long johns.

Knows when hes right, he lives in it all year round
Mr Strop

P

pfmueller

This manufacturer has a very good reputation for quality sleeping bags. Seems to suggest sleeping in the buff. Be forwarned web page contains some nudity.
http://warmlite.com/start.htm

If you can get past the nudity- there seems to be good info on this web page.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
my tuppence worth;
if you wear clothing in your bag, then all the heat generated by the large muscle groups in the legs is retained around the legs. this heat is not used to warm up the rest of the bag.
when you sleep without your outer clothing the body warmth of the whole body is used and combined to warm the whole body instead of being isolated where it is generated.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Just me pants :D i feel bound up otherwise but then i guess ive never been out when its proper cold/winter like some of you nutters :D

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Went to the Snugpak warehouse sale this afternoon and asked the bloke there obout body heat making bag loft. He did not agree [ very politely] and said that a bag only lofts once, and thats when you take it out of the stuffsac. Also said that squaddies usually wear thermals and occasionally trousers in their bags,

Just a note the sale is also on tomorrow 10.00-13.00. Ibought a Sasquatch jacket retail £110 for £50 {early Xmas prezzie]
Ian.

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
Well he can dissagree all he wants...

The filling decompresses only so far when you take it out of the bag, since the air trappped between the fill is cold. As the trapped air warms up it expands and increases the lofting of the filling. Simple theory, and it actually works in practice.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
As we camp out here in temperatures as low as -41C (Am I converting - 20 F properly?), we must pay attention to the issues discussed in this thread.

Pardon some basic comments, but the information is often ignored.

You stay warm in a garment, including a "sleeping bag," because the garment insulates (stops the loss of heat generated by the body) due to "dead" (still) air trapped by the insulation in relatively small spaces.

"Loft" is the thickness of a garment and is a rough measure of the insulative value of the garment IF the garment is of uniform thickness. It is measured by shaking the garment out and laying it on a flat surface. After a few minutes to allow settling, the thickness can then be measured with a ruler. Tables are published listing the average gain in "warmth" by a given loft of garment. (WARNING: The tables may assume any or all of several factors, including that you are out of the wind, have an insulative foam pad under you, are in a tent, are well-fed, and/or are in good health).

Loft is not increased in any measurable way by heat. The air spaces are not sealed. The warm air is merely slowed in passing through the garment.

Laying a heavy "blanket" over a down or polyester batting garment will reduce the insulative value of the down or polyester garment to a degree by crushing some of the trapped air out of that garment.

Insulation is unaware that we call it "sweater" or "sleeping bag" and, all things being equal, performs its function all the same.

Wearing "clothing" inside a "sleeping bag" increases insulation levels if the "clothing" is not made of material inappropriate for cold weather. However, at a certain point, varying according to the inside dimensions of the "sleeping bag" and the thickness of "clothing," there may be compression of the insulation of the "sleeping bag," resulting in lowering of ITS insulative vale. In short, there is only so much room inside the "sleeping bag."

Wearing "clothing" inside a "sleeping bag" can cause the garments to become dampened by insensate perspiration (the warm, moist air rising from the body) - or the sensate type if really overly warm. On rising and exiting the "sleeping bag," the reduction in insulation and the evaporation of the dampness can cause one to feel quite cold -- especially if there is a breeze to speed evaporation. (Change -- or add -- "clothing.")

If one breaths into the "sleeping bag" = more moisture.

Anything that traps air in small cavities could be used as insulation. Some materials are better at resisting dampness/moisture while others are infamous for collapsing (losing "loft") as they get damp -- such as down and newsprint.

(We have found that down loses loft despite all measures taken because we lack the sun and dry weather to dry down garments in the field. Each hour they are worn, they lose loft. That could be overcome with spares and careful drying by fire, but why fight an inherent weakness?)

D

Don'tkillbill

What do I wear in my sleeping bag.... Hmm the cute answer is its the same as under my kilt. The answer actually holds true in the summer, "bug spray". ;)

During fall or winter I like to have a pair of long underwear pants on and maybe a t-shirt usually just cotton. That way if I have to water the trees in the middle of the night I can can run out quickly. Now that I'm not a starving student the cotten gets left at home and fleece gets the nod.

thed

Sep 5, 2005
Way Down South
sleeping bag clothing :rolleyes:

please not im a skip "cold" is very relative, and im talking a +5(0 extreme) bag

If its warm one of my medievil style tunic jobbies(cotton knee length thing),

If its cold my kilt(Black Watch or McKenzie if anyone cares?!?) ,

If its freezing my better looking half :D arnt bags that combine cool,

working on a double layer lined wolly/silk blanket replacement for my current bag as its vintage and im scared of losing it after all these years, and I cant get another. Saying all that I've slept under my sleeping bag now for going on 5 years with a cotton or silk liner and its no worse for the wear.

thed

ps yes it does get washed regularly. ;)

Rod

On a new journey
Summer - not much. Or, I may even sleep in my clothes using my opened bag as a blanket. Sleep on a closed cell mat in my hammock/hootchie (or Thermarest if in a tent)

In winter long johns and a t-shirt with a woolly hat on [I use a 3-season TNF synthetic bag (Cat's Meow good to -7 C) with a closed cell mat + reindeer hide]

If you can: Always make sure you have had a reasonable hot meal/snack & have a warm drink 1/2 hour before you get your head down. That will help keep you warm and get you off to sleep. Keep a 1 litre wide necked bottle to hand if you have to go pee in the night - if you don't fancy crashing about and shivering in the dark that is ;)

atb

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Hi Guys Apologies for joining in so late in this thread but having read through all the responses there is just a couple of points I wish to add. Taking that the sleeping bag acts to retain body warmth regardless of how good the bag is, an insulating layer or layers beneath the bag is an important element in a comfortable nights sleep, on a really cold winters night.What ever you choose be it a blanket of wool , a reeinder skin, a natural bed of dry leafs. In my opinion what goes underneth the bag is of equal importance as what you were in it. This aspect is particularily true for hamock camping where drafts underneth can rapidly remove body heat. The other point which has already been covered is food. Try to eat something filling within a couple of hours of 'hitting the hay' /sleeping as this will help to keep you warm.
I find that a vapour proof layer on top of the sleeping bab if used with a hamock also helps, as damp equals cold.Hope this helps Regards Ivan. :)

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Have read through all replies with interest. I have one question. If a bag requires body heat to help it loft { despite what Snugpak says } then how come people use silk liners. Because as I understand it silk is a bad insulator, therefore doesnt allow heat through into the bag.
Ian.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE