What do YOU wear in your sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I know it sounds a personal question, but I,m thinking of going to New Year North Meet, and I dont want to freeze my n---s off. I was talking to a market trader, who seemed very knowledgeable, and he said that if you sleep in your clothes the trapped air gets expelled as you turn over in your sleep.
He said he uses an item made by Snugpak that divers use under a drysuit but I cant remember what it was called. Think it was named after an animal. I had thought about getting a set of thermals from Damart.
Ian.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
I was told at the Northern meet that one should wear as little as possible ie boxers only as the bag gets it heat from your body which helps it to loft ( i think ) . Whilst i think of it, what is lofting?
Needless to say i didn't head the advice as i didn't fancy getting dressed again infront of everyone :eek: ( wimp, i know :D ). I was however remarkably warm as is to be expected in my -10 sf

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've always known them as Teddy Bear suits....

this the sort of thing you mean mate? The older ones were made of fleece... I think fishermen wear them too.

http://www.amronintl.com/diving/products.cfm?id=1578

Of course they are also known as "romper suits", by the under 5's :D

Or you could try these:

http://www.sailgb.com/p/typhoon_isolyte_undersuit/

&

http://www.sailgb.com/p/typhoon_extreme_climate_undersuit_xcu/

Then there's these which make you look really cool:

http://www.strauss-direct.co.uk/sho...2AE53559559176BF5C99F50380FC948B52E8411844476

I just wear my boxers in my 95 bag and I'm never cold...

Hope that helps,

Bam :)

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
In all seriousness, it really depends on hot/cold you sleep.

I prefer to have as little as possible on but sometimes the situation dictates I can't :rolleyes:

It also depends on how warm you are when you go to bed and also what type of sleeping bag/shelter you are using.

I would get a set of thermals to use as "Jim Jams". I think a fibre pile suit is going to be mega overkill.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Phil562 said:
I think a fibre pile suit is going to be mega overkill.

Here here....way over kill for this country...heck this is bushcraft, if it's that cold then sort yourself out a fire (if you're allowed) or stuff your bivvi bag full of dry leaves before you and your dossbag wriggle in and make a hefty pile of them under your kipmatt too :)

Bam. :D

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
bambodoggy said:
Here here....way over kill for this country...heck this is bushcraft, if it's that cold then sort yourself out a fire (if you're allowed) or stuff your bivvi bag full of dry leaves before you and your dossbag wriggle in and make a hefty pile of them under your kipmatt too :)

Bam. :D

Yep, the good old natural mattress, you can't beat it :)

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
I try to wear as little as practical, underwear and T shirt, or if it's really cold a layer of thermals. Your bag does need body heat to loft the filling and acheive the best efficiency, so using your clothes to insulate yourself just stops your bag from insulating you!

I hate sleeping with too much on anyway, so I let the bag do the work. I do wear a hat if it's really cold though, and that makes a big difference.

Bilko - 'Lofting' is what happens as the air trapped in and around the bag's filling expands. As it is warmed, the bag gets more puffy, trapping more air and helping to keep you warm.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I freeze sleeping out; I'm fine once I actually *get* to sleep but getting there isn't funny. HWMBLT reckons I just miss my living hot water bottle of 27 years :eek: :rolleyes:
I like the baggiest silk thermals stuff I can find....and until the Nanok sleeping bag deal from Outdoorcode I needed socks, gloves and a hat on too :eek:

Cheers,
Toddy

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I'm a natural furnace so unless it is extreamly cold I wear nothing in my 3 season bag all year round.

If it's very cold (and I'm talking UK temps here not -15 or anything) socks and a hat and maybe a liner for the bag.

Moduser

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
feel such a fool! :eek: - what does HWMBLT mean!?

got as far as He Who Must Be .... but what is the LT??? - even Google has failed me!!! :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
g4ghb said:
feel such a fool! :eek: - what does HWMBLT mean!?

got as far as He Who Must Be .... but what is the LT??? - even Google has failed me!!! :(

Sorry, explained a *long* while ago :D and forgot it's not apparant.
***He Who Must Be Listened To***
It's more appropriate than He Who Must Be Obeyed! Besides it's truthful :D I can be very determined ;)

Cheers,
Toddy

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
As I have gotten older, I am evidently sleeping cooler, even at home. What seems odd to me is that my legs are the parts that get cold, so most of the time I now have to sleep with long johns on. Issue army polyester ones (don't like the tops, though) work for me when it is cold. But I wear those only when it is cold enough.

I have experimented with other ways of sleeping without a regular sleeping bag but they never really worked. Among other things, the sleeping bag provides a very soft and cozy place and a degree of padding that you don't get with a wool blanket but the wool blanket is much better for me in warm weather. At this point I want to edit the above to explain my experiment. I read somewhere in an old book that the sleeping rig of certain exporers consisted on their regular clothing with something wrapped around their legs, more or less from their waist to their knees. It didn't work for me because, for one thing, the clothing necessary to keep my top warm (jacket, coat, whatever) was unnecessary during the daytime, since there was and usually is a big difference in daytime and nighttime temperatures, coupled with the high heat producing activity that walking with a pack usually is. I didn't get cold but I didn't gain anything over a more conventional system.

I have never tried using a liner, which would probably be a good idea if you used your sleeping bag frequently. We have had ours for over 25 years and they have never been cleaned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE