How do you carry your winter sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Usually I am able to fit a 3 seasons equipment in my 34 litres rucksack. And last year that was all I needed because it didn't really become so cold in Germany. I just used my Snugpak SF1 with its bivvy bag all the year round.

Because now it becomes relativly cold, I currently have to pack my 65 litres rucksack with my winter equipment, and I want to take the Snugpak SF complete system with me, because I plan to go to eastern Germany for Christmas and want to keep the option to sleep outside there. And it is always possible that we get -16 *C in the night or even -20*C.

https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/special-forces-complete-system

I currently don't have access to my 90 litres rucksack. So I think about what's the best option if I use the 65 litres German Army Flecktarn Rucksack.

https://www.asmc.de/bw-kampfrucksack-flecktarn-gebraucht

1.) All in the Carinthia Compression bag, that in the Snugpak 35 litres dry bag and attached on top of my rucksack, which is constructed for that. Works well. I did that two years ago.

2.) All in the Snugpack or Carinthia Compression bag , that in the 35 litres dry bag or a larger Tatonka 80 litres dry bag, and that in the main compartment of my rucksack.
That works but fits relatively tight. I did it three years ago.

3.) Other stuff in dry bags in the ground compartment, Snugpak 35 litres dry bag as rucksack liner in the main compartment and the sleep system without compression bag directly in it. German Army folding mat in the mat compartment at the back, air mat and military poncho on top and compressed with the rucksack straps, reopened, dry bag closed, fits well.
Seems to be the best option.

I ask my self, if an Ortlieb ventile bag as rucksack liner would work better, even if the sleeping bag is in the thin bivvy bag. Does anybody know that?

4.) Like 3.) but just without the 35 litres dry bag. The rucksack is nearly waterproof. The bivvy bag has a zipper but is off course waterproof. I guess even without dry bag the sleeping bag should be rain protected enough. Isn't it?

What do you guys prefere, if you carry a -15*C / -20*C rated polyester filling sleeping bag?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Why you ask?
Gives you more space inside the rucksack for other stuff.
Nice to be able to detach, and sit on when the Earth /stone/ log / snow is cold

Including your compass!

( I always packed my sleeping bag as this: place rolled up closed cell foam mat inside the water and rip proof bag. Let unroll inside. Put sleeping bag inside the hollow. Close bag)

Reactions: Juha and Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I ask, because most of my winter camping experiences I did with old school stuff and a real fire heated lavvu.
Or I simply took my old Swedish made 90 litres Fjälräven rucksack.

That's why this combination of equipment 65 litres rucksack + full winter sleeping bag is relatively new to me.

I really want to read about other people's choices in this case. And "Bingo!" I didn't think about to put an insulation mat inside the dry bag like you, because old fashioned as I am I usually used a sheep's hide on a military poncho all the years.

I can't attach an insulation mat to a pre WW2 Tornister, so I used such mats only in the canoe.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sorry, I formulated it wrong!

Post 2: 1
Post 3: Why (I choose option 1), you ask?

Etc etc

I was a tad to laconic!

Putting the s. bag inside the ‘mat tube’ is easier if it is a down s bag, as those you ‘scrunch’ and press in.

Depending on size and volume of the water proof carry bag, you can even put the clothes you sleep in inside.
When I used to do civil trekking for a couple of weeks, I attached a tubular Al shelf on top of the frame, and placed the sleeping bag together with the tent on it.

Important to keep the weight high and as close to your body’s centre as possible if you carry heavy for long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Always carry my sleeping bag loose in the bivi bag, so now waterproof then stuffed in the bottom of my rucksack pushed in every corner with my foot.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE