What do you want to know about Coastal Survival?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
We have a May Bloom here. I guess the R is a good rule of thumb to limit probability. So how shall we treat ourselves if we get had? (He leads :))

I reckon wild plants wise, straight away go for the Plantains, Yarrow, Mallow followed by plenty of tea made from Bramble leafs, Pine needles, Gorse flowers, Wild water mint and Meadow sweet. In my own experience, as soon as you feel the first stomach cramps, run as fast as you can to the nearest hedge (especially when in unfamiliar company) and that was off a Limpet!

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
when I was a boy in the tropical island of Mauritius I used a muddy soup made of salt water and mud then I would go fishing for crabs/ Octopus/ razor clams the size of dinner plate. just poring the water right up to the holes and wait a couple of minutes for what ever animals I am fishing for and always100% success. try it before you knock it. because crabs/ Octopus and razor clams like to live in a clean house and hate bad weather at sea. also try this when the sea is rough get yourself a small net and some smelly chicken guts and go fishing for crabs. in no worries you should be getting a good meal. happy hunting the interceptor boy.

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
when I was a boy in the tropical island of Mauritius I used a muddy soup made of salt water and mud then I would go fishing for crabs/ Octopus/ razor clams the size of dinner plate. just poring the water right up to the holes and wait a couple of minutes for what ever animals I am fishing for and always100% success. try it before you knock it. because crabs/ Octopus and razor clams like to live in a clean house and hate bad weather at sea. also try this when the sea is rough get yourself a small net and some smelly chicken guts and go fishing for crabs. in no worries you should be getting a good meal. happy hunting the interceptor boy.

Must have been great in the sun, what a place to grow up! I will give the mud soup thing a go for the Razor clams, when I'm in Scotland on a course in July, thanks for the advise.

Fraser

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
lived on coast of Florida for 5 years and ate so many wild foods, including Barbados cherries, surinam cherrys, pond apples, Sapotes, sour oranges, grapefruit, calmandins, sea grapes, miracle fruit, cocco plums, strangler figs, ground cherries, grass, banannas with hearts, palm hearts, coconuts, carney dates, brazillan peppers, Avocados, mangos, jack fruit, chocolate puidding tree fruit, and 100's more. Ate Rabbits, Squirrels, Mullet, sea trout, rays, flounder, snook, tilapia, pinfish, pigfish, mangrove snappers, neddle fish, etc. one of my best years of my life.

May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Anyone live on the coast of North Yorkshire? If so what are the most common things foraged for?

Hi

The range of stuff along the coast seems pretty continuous, from Landsend to the Hebrides. Let me know what you find, take a few photos if your unsure and Ill do my best to give you my opinions. Sorry never been to North Yorkshire (hope this helps)

Fraser

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I have seen quite a few dead fish on beaches, have they died at sea and been washed up or were the washed up then died on the beach?

If there washed up i could get there early and snag an easy dinner.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Hi

The range of stuff along the coast seems pretty continuous, from Landsend to the Hebrides. Let me know what you find, take a few photos if your unsure and Ill do my best to give you my opinions. Sorry never been to North Yorkshire (hope this helps)

Fraser

Cheers, I am away for 6 months now so when I am back I will take you up on the offer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE