What do you want to know about Coastal Survival?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Hi every one,

My names Fraser, I run a full time Coastal Survival School and have been asked by Tone - White Bear, to write some stuff for the site, it would be good to get some feed back on what it is you want to know about or any questions you might have relating to coastal survival or fishing based subjects. I hope you liked my post on smoking and preserving fish.

Looking forward to your replies

Kind regards

Fraser

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Could you do some articles going into what you covered last weekend on the course.

Shellfish - foraging/cleaning/cooking/best eating/avoiding pearls
Seaweeds - ID/foraging/cooking
Fishing - different methods/prep & cooking

Maybe other useful things to be found on the seashore, collecting fresh water from coastal areas etc etc

Last edited:

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Welcome. Not seen your posts on fish yet, but will try to find them as i was thinking of dehydrating some but would prefer another method for fish.
Stu.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
This covers what I was thinking, but particularity the first two. So many shellfish and seaweeds around here that it seems a waste not to try them out. Other than for fertiliser.. ;)

Could you some articles going into what you covered last weekend on the course.

Maybe other useful things to be found on the seashore, collecting fresh water from coastal areas etc etc

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
all of these aspects as mentioned would be good. also, look at different types of coastline, such as rocky and sandy, as my coastline in norfolk is very different from say devon and dorset, or south wales.
cheers, look forward to your posts.
rabbits
Could you some articles going into what you covered last weekend on the course.

May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Hi

Thanks for all the feedback and hello to all!

I will address all of the following requests for info over the coming months, (whist fishing in between the coming storms :)

Here is some stuff on seaweed in the mean time to keep you hungry!

Seaweed is conveniently categorised in to three main groups defined by their colours - Green (Chlorospermeae), Brown (Melanospermeae) and Red (Rhodospermeae). They also occupy different levels on the shore, the Green ones are generally found in the highest water region ; and often the whole plant is green, but sometimes Olive or black. The Brown ones can normally be found below the tide marks and sometimes are olive green, Brown or yellow(ish), and the Red ones from below the tide marks to a depth of 120 fathoms, in some cases may be green.

First it is always advisable to wash the seaweed or soak it for a short while in fresh water to help expel some of the salts.

Here are some I have tried and how to prepare them to be eaten and cooked:

Sea lettuce, always a favourite with its soft delicate textures and taste, it looks good enough to eat there and then, it’s really good raw or slightly steamed with the addition of a little vinegar and pepper. Also nice wrapped around fish or scallops before barbecuing them as it keeps the fish moist.

Dulse (Pepper) another delicate seaweed that is soft and tender to the bite, also good raw or steamed, boiled or fried. Rather than pepper dulse, it is usually true dulse that is used in soda bread. It might be worth mentioning the difference between them. Pepper dulse is a little more spicy in flavour and has a chewier texture , smaller fronds and more purple colour. True dulse has a larger frond slightly browner colour and an almost cauliflower-like flavour that is the one we were talking about using in coleslaw. Once dried it has been traditionally added to bread dough, used dried or fresh for soups.

Mosses. The mosses are slightly coarser than the dulse or sea lettuce but can be just as tender, first slightly toasted or steamed they are great in salads with a splash of soy sauce and vinegar. They also have carrageenan in them, which is a gelling agent, they are traditionally used in the Hebrides to make milk pudding, Kelp - Oar weed. The kelp family are slightly tougher than most varieties and can benefit from cutting into very fine strips or slices before adding to stir-fries, soups, or stews. Once dried it can also be ground down and used as a nutritious alternative to salt - this could be good in a foragers pack too. Kelp would be good on a barbecue to put under fish fillets as it would infuse them with glutamate giving them natural seasoning, this is something they do in Japan.  This versatile variety was even used to make knife handles from the thick rubbery steam that comes from the holdfast (the root like part that attaches itself to the rocks). When wet and first collected the stem is soft and will allow the tang of a knife to easily be pushed into it, as it dries and becomes hardened it also shrinks to make a firm handle.

Sea spaghetti - Long and brown this spaghetti like seaweed is easy to cook if cut into pieces as long as you want it does as do many seaweeds change colour when cooked from a brown to a green, resembling French beans, once slightly poached it makes a great addition to strips of meat or stir fried vegetable.

Here are some simple recipes to try on the beach and at home. Because of its slightly salty taste seaweed makes for a great way of seasoning food when salt is not available.

Sea lettuce and fish sashimi.
Wash fresh pieces of sea lettuce in fresh water and pat dry with a clean cloth. Cut into pieces the size of your finger. Take small skinned and boned fillets of fish, cut into small bite-sized strips and roll the sea lettuce around it. They are delicious like that, but great with a little vinegar or mustard. The small sachets of vinegar they give you at cafés are a great addition to the coastal foragers pantry, as are the pepper ones.

Sea spaghetti with strips of meat or fish.
Any oily fish or fatty tender meat or game will do, with the addition of some fat or oil added to the leaner cuts.
Cut the chosen meat or fish into boneless thin strips, pre-heat a pan and add the cut meat, fry quickly and then add the pre-washed and boiled sea spaghetti, its better if you change the cooking water twice when boiling as some jelly can come out of the seaweed (sea water can be used). Cut into pieces as long as your finger and add to the hot pan of fish or meat. Add pepper and a pinch of any available spices. Continue cooking for a few more minutes, turning a few times.

Seaweed and shellfish soup.
First start by frying some chopped onion, garlic or leeks in a little oil or butter. Take a selection of pre-baked shellfish (can be backed on stones around the fire or on the embers), cleaned and chopped (without the shell J) add the shellfish to the pan and with a selection of any of the softer seaweeds like pepper dulse and sea lettuce, cover with fresh water, some herbs or spices of your choice and simmer for 5/10minutes.

The great nutritional benefits and uses from seaweeds are far reaching and many products already contain seaweed extracts such as carrageen and alginate. The next time your lucky enough to find some seaweed, take some home, identify it, wash it and use it, don't worry if even after you have eaten it raw cooked and dried, that you have some spare, it makes a great base for compost and due to the fact that a lot of cultivated vegetable originally came from the coast, it makes a great mulch or soil improver for the vegetable garden - slugs hate it! When dried, most of the tougher varieties will make fuel for a fire when wood is hard to find (soaking it or steeping it in fresh water for a day gets rid of most of the salt that inhibit combustion).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff thanks Fraser

I'm going to dig out some photos and print this off for my next coastal trip

Thanks for putting it together

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
I would love to know if you have any top tips for coaxing razor shells out if you don't have a supply of salt to pour into the hole..?

May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Hi mate,
All your doing by pouring salt on the them is simulating the effect the tide will have on them as your matching the salinity of the water which will be over them. I must admit I don't do a lot with razor clams, except consider them a good bate for storm beach bass fishing. I haven't tried it but pouring sea water over them should have the same effect, if not, then sea water could be evaporated to increase salinity and then it would defiantly work. You use loads of salt if you just pour it on the holes , its more economical to add some salt to water and squirt it down the holes, cutting the corner off a bag would work for the squirter. Let me know how you get on.

cheers

Fraser

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Many years ago, when my parents moved to Ireland, the locals showed us how to catch razor clams by hand. The theory is that you approach the hole from the side (ie on the side of the "keyhole") and, making a spear of your fingers, plunge intro the sand and press the shell against the side of its burrow, stopping it going down. With your other hand you come in from the other side and get a grip on the shell, then - very gently, ease it out.

Amazingly, it worked very well - even as a 12 year-old I got about a 50% success rate. Shame is that we didn't eat them, but used it as bait for fishing. Which is a crying shame, as they are really gooood eatin!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Many years ago, when my parents moved to Ireland, the locals showed us how to catch razor clams by hand. The theory is that you approach the hole from the side (ie on the side of the "keyhole") and, making a spear of your fingers, plunge intro the sand and press the shell against the side of its burrow, stopping it going down. With your other hand you come in from the other side and get a grip on the shell, then - very gently, ease it out.

Amazingly, it worked very well - even as a 12 year-old I got about a 50% success rate. Shame is that we didn't eat them, but used it as bait for fishing. Which is a crying shame, as they are really gooood eatin!

I think Monty Hall did something similar with a long bladed knife in his series this year

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Hey Fraser, great info so far!
But I wanted to ask; I've heard that all seaweeds in this country are edible (or atleast not toxic), is this true?
Can you really go and sample any seaweeds you find? I'm a little sceptical of this...
Thanks,
Dan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE