What do you never leave home without?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I was wondering :rolleyes: what will you not step outside without on an everday basis? (Bushcrafty wise I mean, fags & lighters don't count) :eek:

By this I mean what do you always take regardless of where you are going? On any given day at any given time I will always have my (perfectly legal to carry) SAK. Also, as my Maglite doubles as my keyring so that is always on my person at all times.

99.9% of the time I will also have a small rubberised tinder pouch in my pocket just incase I come across something interesting.

So what do you carry at all times, including work :puppy_dog , fun :D , and everything else? :confused:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
For going to work, the only vaguely bushcrafty thing I have with me is a teeeeny SAK on my keys, my mobile phone (which has a little torch on it) and a water bottle. I'd probably struggle to justify even a normal SAK as I don't really need it for anything, and it's best to play it safe while wandering around the office or heading into bars.

For going out and about, I'll nearly always have my normal SAK and maybe a firesteel, but other than that, nothing unless I plan to do anything exciting. My wife's keys have a small torch on them (comes in handy regularly) and a Fox whistle, which is great as we usually have the keys with us when walking somewhere so at least we have those.

Bit boring, really, aren't I? See, no survival kit, no chunky folding knife, no FAK, no cord or anything! But then the chances of getting into a survival situation in Surrey are somewhat limited vs say the highlands of Scotland..

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Always, without fail :

SAK in a pouch on my belt, unless going into a pub / club when i leave it in the car / home.
LED keyring torch in my jeans 'watch pocket'
and my Wallet, which among other things has a couple of small ziplock baggies, a selection of sticky plasters, a couple of toothpicks, and a book of matches in a sealed bag :)

Steve

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'll always have mobile phone, wallet, keys, change and handkerchief. Nothing exciting in the wallet except a couple of plasters. In town, I'm more concerned about not having any money than needing bushcrafty things, so there's £10 folded in my mobile phone battery compartment. On my keys is a SAK classic, fauxton torch and oddities capsule with £20 rolled in it. Hey, if I haven't got what I need, I'll always have £30 to buy it. :D

It's currently too hot for a coat, but my usual everyday jacket has SAK Farmer, sliver grippers and another fauxton on a keyring carabina and paracord lanyard in the pocket along with a whistle, mini bic lighter and a space pen.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
2 Torches.
Small Survival Kit includes various methods of fire lighting
Small First Aid Kit.
Buff
Compass x2. 1 button compass 1 proper compass.
Lighter.
Camera.

Most is located in my proteus.

Otherwise its a swedish firesteel and my mobile.
And a FAK

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
About the only stuff I always have is the whistle on my keyring and a means of lighting fire (ciggie lighter, plus tobacco and papers... ;)). I usually have a daysack containing sunglasses, waterproof jacket (if not trousers as well - it is getting into summer after all, even in Scotland), FAK, spare matches, spare rolling papers, pen and paper, and a cheap little stockman folder in a trouser pocket. Oh, and a phone of course...

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
If I'm out walking it has to be a couple of good mushroom books and a good knife. I used to carry the first-aid kit about as well, but I've misplaced it now (!)

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Usualy lighter , small folding knife etc

the other day left without my keys (car & house) :banghead:
1st time in years no one else in of course

as I hadn't locked the mortice lock I managed to get back in with
various plastic cards but it took an hour
maybe that Yale is better than I give it credit for

Jun 5, 2006
Hampshire
If I have a bag, then my tobacco sized survival tin often goes in, but otherwise it depends on the number of pockets I have.
Usually: Leatherman Wave, Led light on my car keys, mobile phone and the obvious wallet etc.
The survival tin comes along when it can because there's always the chance that something from there proves useful (suprising that :rolleyes: ), rather than a full on survival situation!

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
sxmolloy said:
I was wondering :rolleyes: what will you not step outside without on an everday basis? (Bushcrafty wise I mean, fags & lighters don't count) :eek:

Hmmm other than my keys and wallet I happily make do with no essential "kit" on a day to day basis.

Its all in my head and i'll improvise as needed.

I have a small torch on my keyfob and a sharp key that will cut most the things i would need on a day to day basis. I don't carry a knife around with me unless i know im going to have a cause to use one.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
andyn said:
Hmmm other than my keys and wallet I happily make do with no essential "kit" on a day to day basis.

Its all in my head and i'll improvise as needed.

I have a small torch on my keyfob and a sharp key that will cut most the things i would need on a day to day basis. I don't carry a knife around with me unless i know im going to have a cause to use one.
I never leave the house without Andy, he's my friend................Jon
bushcraftersfire6if.gif

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I always carry my Letherman wave. It has 1001 uses. It was usefull again recently, when I needed it on a car trip :drive: to remove a raisin out of my 2,5 years old son's nose :eek: , who had just discovered he can stuff things in that orifice as well as his mouth!!
I also always carry a fire-stick-in-magnesium on my key-ring and a couple of small pieces of amadou in my wallet.
9 out of 10 times I carry my phone as well. Good idea scanker to put some paper money under the battery!!

Since I spend the odd 50k km/ year in the car I can also mention the rain gear, the 20m of paracord, folding saw and first aid kit I always keep in there (together with that roll of toilet paper ;) )

Did I mention gaffer tape?

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
No matter what I have a knife on me. Work, play, church, shopping w/ the Wife :eek: . I either have my Opinel #7, my Vic Farmer, or my Buck 112 folder. I may not always need a knife in a given day, but I have one just the same. I also have my mobile phone but not sure it really fits for my (Bushcraft) wise. Everywhere I would go to camp here doesn't have cell reception. But I normally have it just the same.

Other than that keys, wallet are about it.

Edited to add: I guess I never thought about my truck. I have a small "survival kit" inside it just in case. Fire steel, flash light, para cord, small towel, Mora, leatherman Wave (for the tools mainly) rain poncho, and a few other odds and ends. I don't carry all the stuff with me, but it's in my truck in case... Oh I dunno.... the sky falls :eek: ;) :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE