What do you carve when youre in the woods?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
i am trying to add to my list of green wood carveing projects whilst sat under the basha.
so far
wooden mallet
billy hooks
spoons lots of
swedish butter knives
fish hooks
Fire by friction kits
Must be lots more any reccomendations must be loads of small to week carveing projects?
please enlighten me and also help to develop a list cant find one on the site so far?

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
How about a length of "chain" :rolleyes:

I watched my first scout leader nearly 20 years ago carve one about 18 inches long from a branch about 2 inch dia

imaging how impressed all us 11 year olds were :D :D :D

Have know idea how he done it though

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't do spoons :eek: (I reckon I've just lost bushcrafty merit points :( )
But I do carve netting needles and weaving shuttles.....but not from sycamore....too d*mn hard. Both are useful, practical things, and I have been known to carve spindles too. Eric carved lucets for me and Bowsayer :D :cool: , but what about toggles and buckles? Have you tried carving antler or bone? you could do combs and the like from them.

Cheers,
Toddy

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I am more of a metal worker , i tend to start out with good intentions ,but generaly end up with nothing but a pile of shavings !! At least they have a Bushcraft use . :(

Pumbaa

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
In answer to toddy antler very little bone not at all but havin seen what the maori can do with the carveing of bone and antler it is my next avenue when i am out in the woods this weekend and if it looks remotely like ill post a picture .

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Right some carving projects of the top of my head

Now what tools will you have I have a small set: knife, spoon knife, crook knife, gouge, awl folding saw and small selection of wet or dry and glass paper sometimes I have one or too small files for bone work.

In wood

Kuska
Small boxes with lids made of wood in the round (small cylinders with the middle hollowed out and ends made.
Fork
Spatula
Board with handle for mounting razor strop fungus
Set of dominoes
Reel for fishing line / cordage
Float for fishing line
Beads out of elder or any wood with a soft core
Figure four dead fall trigger
Pan stand keep the dirt off your billy not a nice piece and wouldn’t take it home but it would keep you amused
Game boards for pieces bellow

In bone / antler

Buttons / toggles
Needles
Awls
Folder for leather
Fish hooks
Playing pieces draughts/nine mens morris/ solitare etc.
Pendants
Rings
Beads
Arrow nocks / points
Head for walking / tracking stick
Knife

There have got to be loads more but these are all ones either I’ve tried or have considered.
Have fun carving

James

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
A length of wooden chain would be a wonderfull thing, although not too practical I guess. I was thinking about it only the other day.

Has anyone made one? How about a pic of it?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Big John said:
A length of wooden chain would be a wonderfull thing, although not too practical I guess. I was thinking about it only the other day.

Hoodoo has some instructions on his site.

How about carving a chicken?
(Not as daft as it sounds)

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
You could try a new sheath for your blade. Carve out the two symmetrical sides and then sew the wood with natural cord.

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
Big John said:

Check out some sites that illustrate Welsh 'Lovespoons', some of the carving is out of this world.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, there's a chain I carved in this photo. Someday I will have to add a tutorial for carving a simple chain. I think there already are some on the net somewhere.

ballsandcages1b.jpg

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Excellent work Hoodoo, Stew's link is really good as well - I'll definately be trying them out these cold winter nights (from the comfort of my living room, obviously).

Thanks!

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I carved a few of these a while ago, gave the best ones away tho ;)

owl_1.jpg

owl_2.jpg

Quite straightforward to carve, just need profile from 2 sides marked onto a square block, lime is a superb wood to start with, soft to carve with a very forgiving grain. Chains are also fun to do and the chain ends up longer than the original piece of wood which is quite cool, rounding off the inside of each individual link is a pain though :rolleyes: so dont make em too long! I like carving eating spoons best, never been very keen on purely ornamental love spoons.

This site has been posted many times before but its worth mentioning for newbies, some fantastic spoons

Pinewood Forge

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE